• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dental bunny difficult eater!

Aimee84

Warren Scout
Hi
I rehomed my 8month old nethie Gimli three months ago. When he was neutered I got the vets to check his teeth and they found his incisors were misaligned. Since then they were trimmed and burred at an increasingly short rate. His last visit was about three wks ago and they need doing again the poor guy. I have reduced his pellets but he is refusing every type of hay etc I can get hold of. My two girls wolf everything down and I'm not used to a fussy eater. I should have taken out shares in rabbit chew toys in the hope I can get him to gnaw on things to keep them down but again he won't chew on any even after they have been trimmed.

Can anyone help with any ideas or should I go down the incisor removal route which the vets say is very risky?

Any help or advice I'd b grateful! X

I don't have any experience of this type of problem, but hope someone else can offer advice. Which hays have you tried? My rabbit is quite fussy but he really likes Oxbow Orchard Grass.

Science selective are a good pellet for this type of issue. Forage and fresh grass are also good for teeth ware (obviously not too much).. have you tried hayforpets or timothyhay.co.uk?

Is it just his incisors? I don't think removal is much massively risky than neutering but there is a potential for them to grow back. How savvy is your vet? If they think it's risky it might be worth chatting with a rabbit expert to get a second opinion.

Fresh grass and readigrass are two of the most tasty 'hay' options. Have you tried fresh twigs/branches? They are much tastier then the dried out branches you get in pet shops - things like apple/pear/willow are all bunny safe.

I have had rabbits who have had to have their incisors removed, and with a good vet I don't believe this is risky.

Also, in my experience, they don't grow back (usually!) so that's something I wouldn't worry about.

However, I *would* worry about a vet who wasn't confident to do the procedure. Having a bun without incisors means they don't have to suffer this repeated dental burring/ clipping and it's much less stressful for them.

Hi
Thanks for all of your replies. I have tried cheap hay, farm hay, expensive meadow hay, oat hay and timothy hay. He turns his nose up at dried herbs and readigrass. He is currently on SS pellets. I have tried herby chew sticks and things too with no success.
Its good to hear others have had incisors removed. How long until they can eat ok afterwards? What are the ongoing special feeding methods after the op?

My vets do have a savvy vet who is great so going forward I think the only way will b their removal. Fortunately only the incisors are affected with the misalignment but will get the molars checked again today.
Thanks again all :)

Back