• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Desperate for help with bleeding claw!

My male unneutered dwarf lop named Barnaby has bitten one of his back claws off following a rather nasty infection which caused the skin round it to swell. The infection seemed to go away after medication with Baytril, and this last month he seemed perfectly fine once more. Though the nail was mishapred slightly due to the complications of the infection.

However, this morning I found blood on the floor and immediately looked at his back foot. He had chewed the nail off leaving a bloody stump of nail. The skin around seems to have become inflamed again. Upon emergancy visitation to a vet I would not go normally, and told her about the previous problems. Her words greatly concerned me when she said "This is fine. Rabbits can do this occasionally."
IMG_3487_zpsba4935f1.jpg

(Forgive me for the poor quality of the image, I only have one pair of hands.)

No, no they do not.

She then said that I should just monitor it and bathe his foot occasionally with salt water and perscribed Septrine at a 0.8 mil dosage.

I'm grossly unhappy, upon washing his foot it has started bleeding badly again. Barnaby himself seems to be taking it in stride but I am angry at how I was treated and now have no clue if I should give him this medicine offered to me or just try and get him to his usual vet who lives 2 hours away.

Please, help!

Last edited:
Hello, my bunny used to have similar problems with 1 particular claw which kept breaking off and bleeding (leaving just the stump), maybe once a month or so, it never looked as bad as it does in that photo though and never became infected. I was also told the same, however, they had this black stuff which they put on the wound to stop it from bleeding. Its the same black stuff the nurses use if they cut animals claws too close to the blood vessel as it stops the bleeding. They would also prescribe oral pain killer (sorry not good memory right now).

I am no expert hopefully someone with more knowledge will come along with advise, and I hope your bunny makes a speedy recovery xxx

I wonder why they prescribed septrin rather than baytril? It's a different antibiotic but baytril is the usual first choice, maybe as baytril was used last time she has decided to try septrin. Does he seem ok in himself and is the wound ok as in not smelly or having any puss oozing or anything? I would probably have expected a couple of days pain relief as he must have chewed the nail for a reason so it must have been annoying him. I agree with bathing with a mild warm salt water (use cooled water out the kettle) and keeping it clean. Maybe just use newspaper and hay, avoid anything like shavings that may stick to the wound.

I swear by wound powder for things like this (obviously would not advise for a big wound). It helps clog up the wound and it has anti-biotic properties. Just type in 'veterinary wound powder' into Google and loads come up. I use vetzyme stuff but I'm sure other brands are fine x

Back