• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Big decision to make about my bunnies :-(

kerina

Warren Scout
Hi everyone

I just don't know what to do. I have three beautiful rescue bunnies. I've had thumper for 7 years, and kimmy and angelika for 5 years. Last year, my husband and I divorced and I have taken on our old mortgage, plus taken out another one to buy him out. I am just about keeping my head above water, but am terrified if one of my bunnies gets poorly because I cannot afford the vets bills of they do.

Also, my husband was at home with them all day every day so they were able to go out and get lots of exercise. Now I am on my own, I have a 2 hour commute every day and work full time. So on a good day I am not at home for 12 hours. Kimmy in particular has put on weight due to lack of exercise and is now struggling with a mucky bum on occasions. I don't see how they can be as happy as they were this time last year. I can't see a way out of it and so am considering seeing if they can be rehomed for their own good.

It will break my heart to see them go but I have to put their needs and well being first. I simply cannot be there for them or afford vets bills if they get poorly.

At the risk of being accused of being a bad bunny mummy, please could someone give me their perspective of all this as it is a massive decision to take for me.

:cry: :cry:

I really feel for you, what a horrible situation to be in.
I had to rehome 4 of my bunnies 2 years ago when I was just too ill to care for them properly. It was a horrendous decision to make but I made it out of love for my bunnies and not because I was being selfish. I think the same would apply in your situation, no one should think you were a bad bunny mummy.

Are they bonded as a trio? Would they all have to go together?

I would have a chat with a rescue. Explain your situation. I'm a believer in things working out, so I should put out feelers now and get some advice from people who may be able to help you.

Good luck :wave:

A few years ago, I had to rehome 3 of my bunnies due to having a big operation and a long recovery. My hubby was at work all day and the kids were too young to help with the bunnies so I made a decision to rehome them. I was hard seeing them go but I knew it was in their best interests. I can't imagine anyone will think bad of you given your present situation. You just want what's best for your bunnies.

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

Is there any way that you could give them more space (dont know your set up at all)? Perhaps if they had that you wouldnt feel so bad.

I hope you find a solution. Its not easy. I have had to rehome animals in the past and its tough. Good luck.

Just realised, that doesnt solve the vet bill problem ... sometimes they let you pay in installments. Could you put something aside 'just in case'? You have probably thought of these things already.

Bless you, you have my fully sympathy :(

I broke up with my OH of 7 years earlier in the year and simply can't afford to properly look after my 4 buns on my own. So, 2 of them have stayed with him and 2 are with me. It tore me into pieces to leave my Timmy and Mimi, I still miss them awfully and cry for them, but I had to do it for their own good :cry:

Its a horrible situation to be in, and no one could ever think of you as a bad owner for putting their needs before your own.

Are they bonded as a trio? If not is there any way you can keep Thumper maybe?

I hope you find a solution that works for you all xxxxxxxxxx

Believe me I have thought of everything! I have literally just walked in the door from work now. And I'll be off again at 7.30am tomorrow morning. I just feel like I'm letting them down and they deserve better. They are all separate. Kimmy and angelika were together until they fell out and had a massive fight. So I separated them because I wasn't here to keep an eye on them together. Thumper is on his own as he has not been neutered. Long story but he came from redgate animal sanctuary at Markfield and wasn't neutered and they didn't know how old he was. I never got him done as we thought he was too old for the operation. 7 years later he is still going strong but is definitely too old for the operation now.

Someone said just put an ad in the local pet shop saying free to a good home but how do I know if they're going to a good home or not? I don't want them going just anywhere.

Gosh those are long old days aren't they, no wonder you're considering it, with everything else going on too! Where did the bunnies come from, some rescues require that they are returned if the owner is no longer able to keep them. Or if that's not the case or if the place they came from is closed, I would suggest getting them on a waiting list of a decent rescue and waiting until a place comes up for them - it doesn't need to be all at the same time if they are all separate. Personally I wouldn't advise advertising them e.g in a pet shop, you have no idea where they will end up and people can be very plausible without a robust homecheck, plus they probably would stay single which isn't necessarily in their best interests. A good rescue will ensure that they are happily bonded before rehoming them (the girls at least) which it sounds like would be a good solution for them given your current circumstances.

Good luck x

Kimmy and Angelika came from Chris at Starlights in Essex, but for some reason I thought she was no longer a rescue? Please correct me if I'm wrong? I'm guessing the best person local to me would still be Jill at Honeybunnies? I have such a heavy heart about all of this, but cannot see a fair way forward for my bunnies. They deserve the absolute best and it breaks my heart to think of them going, but it's not about me and my selfish feelings. What a mess!

Kimmy and Angelika would make lovely partners for single boy bunnies. They are truly beautiful, gorgeous girls! And I'd love Thumper to go somewhere where he can be a single house bunny. He is so old now, but you wouldn't think it to look at him. He's my bestest little boy.

Back