• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

what am I doing wrong? :-(

sparklefairy

Wise Old Thumper
Storm looks a mess :cry: he has arthritis and is a little wobbly. Despite me grooming him and replacing vet bed and cleaning up after him twice if not three times a day, his back feet are permanently stained. He gets all matted up and looks awful :(

I have now noticed flakey skin. Maybe mites? We have never had mites. What do I do? Can he have ivermectin on top of panacur, metacam and tramadol?

I just feel so down. He doesn't look as perfect and clean as he once did. He looks like a well loved teddy.

How on earth do people keep their older bunnies looking so perfect? He looks neglected but he isn't. I try so hard to keep every thing clean :(

Dont be so hard on yourself! The staining will probably need to grow out to be honest.
I would nip him to tge vets for a check up and see what they recommend. :)

No advice re bunny - but as they get older their immune systems struggle. I have the same issue with my Old horse - we've had lice, some flesh eating parasite, a tooth abscess, sinus problems, & now his skin & teeth look awesome & he's lame. You can only do what you can do to keep on top of it & keep him as comfortable as possible. Perhaps a chat with your vet?

I'm sure you aren't doing anything wrong, you sound like a very devoted bunny mummy who is trying her best to care for him :thumb::love: I've no experience of the drugs or arthritis, but wanted to send him some vibes, and send you some hugs xx

Thank you :love:
I guess there is part of me who wants him to stay young forever and things like arthritis and growing old mess up these plans. He is on meds for his arthritis. He looks a lot more comfortable than he did. He can even manage his super storm pose :shock: I do worry that he might get stuck like that but he is fine so far.

I do need to renew his prescription. Maybe I will make a vet appointment while I am at it. I would rather the vet treated him for mites than me going out and buying something dodgy from the petshop.

Storm looks a mess :cry: he has arthritis and is a little wobbly. Despite me grooming him and replacing vet bed and cleaning up after him twice if not three times a day, his back feet are permanently stained. He gets all matted up and looks awful :(

I have now noticed flakey skin. Maybe mites? We have never had mites. What do I do? Can he have ivermectin on top of panacur, metacam and tramadol?

I just feel so down. He doesn't look as perfect and clean as he once did. He looks like a well loved teddy.

How on earth do people keep their older bunnies looking so perfect? He looks neglected but he isn't. I try so hard to keep every thing clean :(

What a lovely thing to say :love:

We are all still the same as who we always were, even though now we are old (as the world sees). He doesn't know he looks a shambles, and the fact you love him for who he is, is all that matters :D

I know exactly what you mean about the 'well loved teddy'. Molly has that look right now. She had an abscess removed from her ear last week so her face on that side had to be shaved and her ear sticks out more than it used to, she's a lop. All of a sudden she just looks old.:(. She's 7. I'm hoping that once her ear is all better and her fur has grown back she will be more like her old self but right now she seems really delicate.

I don't think you are doing anything wrong though. ((Hugs))

It's scary to see them so delicate :cry: my gypsy looked very delicate towards the end bless her.

Hopefully your bun will feel and look like her old self soon.

I can't believe that storm is 9. It doesn't seem 5 minutes that I first came on here and introduced him as a feet and ears too big for his body baby bun :shock:

Bless, he is a little old man and when they get to that age and have health problems, they do look different and more soiled no matter what you do I am afraid. I love the teddy description. Oldie buns look a little ragged around the edges and that is down tot he ravages of time. You are doing nothing wrong, it is just there is only so much you can do when a bunny has a chronic condition. He is a very beautiful boy :love::love:

You could ask the vet about shaving - if the matting is around the bottom it makes things so much easier for you and then as then you can just wipe them clean. Obviously you can't do feet but the inside of the back legs and groin area. As long as you don't go to OTT you won't even notice from the top.

How old is Storm? He is beautiful. You are doing your best and that's all that matters x

He is 9. Quite old for a giant. Although he is a smaller giant.

Tamsin. Storm had a bum shave. He had to have some matting removed. I was too scared to do it my self with scissors as it was close to the skin. He still has a few mats but they may grow out and eventually be groomed out. The shaving has helped.

Back