• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit stretched back legs too forward?

KathyAnn

New Kit
Hello, I have a question about my rabbit.
Twice in the past couple of days I have noticed when my rabbit has got up from lying down, she seemed to stretch both her back legs foward abit too far and fell back on her bottom with her back legs fully up and forward. I went to her to slightly touch her and she sat back up normally. She is moving around normally.

Is this anything to worry about?

Last edited:
A video would be good - handy if you do need to go to a vet too as they never perform on cue :) It does sound a little like the possibility of something neurological rather than normal behaviour so I think it would probably be a good idea to get checked out. With neurological symptoms treating for EC is a good idea. How old is she? Another thing for odd poses is arthritis i.e. they get a bit stiff standing up after napping.

Thank you for your replies. She is a 6 year old mini rex. I will try to take a picture or video if it happens again. I think I will take her to vets to get it checked out.

My rabbit does something similar. She is 12 this year so think this is an age problem, so at 6 years old not sure if that could be the case.

My Billy started doing this too about a month ago. Turned out to be EC. He could still run and walk normally, but when sitting down, he would pull his front legs forward too.
Thought at age 6, he is not exactly a youngster anymore, so a bit of arthritis could also be at play here.

Take him to the vet. The sooner you start treating the cause, the better. And if it is indeed EC, you might avoid some of the nastier problems, like head tilt.

Best of luck! :thumb:

It sounds as he osteoarthritis of the hips/spine may be an issue

Does she have sore hocks ?

I would get your Vet to examine her. If arthritis is involved she would benefit from a daily dose of a non steroidal anti-inflammatory such as Metacam.

Back