• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Helpucover vs petplan

runhardlivelong

Warren Scout
Hello, as above really. I've had three poorly bunnies and my rescue that is coming soon I'm going to insure!!!!

Helpucover is much cheaper, but is it a better policy?!

Would love to know your views as a whole!!!

Kate xx

I recently took out helpucover. The cover looks about the same, is lifetime cover and the excess is less and monthly payments are less. When it comes to claiming don't know what they are like as not had to use them yet (thankfully)

I have Herbie with Petplan and Hollie with Helpucover.

I had Herbie & Inca joint on Petplan, but when Inca went to the bridge I took her off. Then when I got Hollie Helpucover was cheaper and I remember comparing the policy conditions and they were pretty similar if I remember correctly.

I have claimed on Petplan but not on Helpucover (I hope I never need to!)

Just compare the policy schedules and check that there is nothing that you think you would need in one and not the other.

This crops up regularly. People have different opinions, obviously, so you do need to check the schedules.

(I'm with PetPlan).

It might be a good idea to do a forum search to see if what people have said helps with your decision.

I took out helpucover recently. The main differences are:
Helpucover will only cover dentals if you've already been with them for 2 years with no indication of dental problems and had regular dental checkups.
Helpucover will only cover one instance of flystrike.

Other than that it was very similar.

I made one claim from helpucover which was brilliant.... but the other... not so. Bunny had a previous bout of stasis, and even though the second treatment was not stasis as such, they would not pay out as its connected. I thought it was a bit unfair as most illnesses can be connected if you think of it like that. I was so hacked off I changed all but one of my Buns. But pet plan for me is too expensive, so I went with pets at home. I also didnt like the fact helpucover dont cover teeth for the first 2 years x

I made one claim from helpucover which was brilliant.... but the other... not so. Bunny had a previous bout of stasis, and even though the second treatment was not stasis as such, they would not pay out as its connected. I thought it was a bit unfair as most illnesses can be connected if you think of it like that. I was so hacked off I changed all but one of my Buns. But pet plan for me is too expensive, so I went with pets at home. I also didnt like the fact helpucover dont cover teeth for the first 2 years x

Just wondering, was the stasis the bun previously had before the insurance started? so did they class it as pre-existing medical condition? im worried as im with helpucover, and want to do claim for mine as he has urine infection, but i hope they dont then not pay out for more urine infections after this claim!

Back