• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Worried about Rosie.

luna

Mama Doe
As some of you know I am currently looking after a kitten called Heidi who appears to be lost. No one has come forward yet and we are getting her checked for a microchip tomorrow.

The problem is Rosie hates her and she is now refusing to come out for free range time even though Heidi is in the sitting room with the door closed. She looks so miserable and I feel so guilty and confused. If no one comes forward hubby wants to keep heidi and my son who is 4 adores her and they are becoming firm friends.

My husband thinks that Rosie will get used to the cat but I don't know. When Heidi comes up to the cage (when its closed ) Rosie runs up to the bars with her tail held up in the air and I am afraid someone will get injured.

Can anyone advise me on what is best to do in terms of getting Rosie to warm to little heidi. I hate seeing her so down and she doesn't deserve this upheaval so soon after losing her partner :(

But this little kitten is also in need of tlc :/

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk 2

I don't know how best to advise in this situation, but I'm sorry you are in this difficult position. Sending vibes for Rosie. xx

I think you need to put Rosie first - she was there first and should feel happy and safe in her own home; she might never get used to the cat and that wouldn't be fair :(

Maybe try to make Rosie associate Heidi being around with good things? Give her treats etc.? I think sooner or later she'll probably realise that Heidi isn't a threat, even if they might never be best friends. It's very early days.

I also think maybe finding a new friend for Rosie might make her feel more confident? Perhaps you could even find a laid back male who is already accustomed to other pets. That would be ideal! :)

Could you partition off a section of the room so that Rosie could run around without having to interact with Heidi?

Thanks everyone for your replies. Rosie came out of her cage and straight into the sitting room and has charged at little heidi a couple of times. She is also chinning everything furiously. She is not acting very scared now but is acting more territorial than anything else.

I am going to keep going with the treats and end it on a positive note in a minute. Rabbits are such complex creatures. I think rosies territorial nature overtook her fear.

Oh and just to add that when Rosie charged it was a warning. She stopped about a foot in front of heidi each time. I left the room for a minute and my husband said that Rosie did a binky because I think she feels she may be the boss now .

Could this be a good sign? Heidi is up on the couch and Rosie is hopping around honking. I can't believe the turn around in just one hour :)

Last edited:
Awwww bless her :love:

Sounds like Rosie has realised that the kitten is not a threat after all. I think Rosie is still stressed about Bobby not being there. Poor little girly just doesnt understand what the kitten is xxxx

Awwww bless her :love:

Sounds like Rosie has realised that the kitten is not a threat after all. I think Rosie is still stressed about Bobby not being there. Poor little girly just doesnt understand what the kitten is xxxx

Thanks rabcat,

Feeling kind of optimistic now so I guess we will know in the next few days whether she will stay or go (heidi that is) here is Rosie looking rather triumphant about being the boss of a 500 gram kitten. Lol:)

8yrejymy.jpg

And I could swear she was smiling in this one :)

jadepumu.jpg

Last edited:
Ha love the smiley face, I saw off the kitten!!! I have 8 cats and 20 rabbits and no issues. I would say be vigilant but it will work out xx

I just always try to think of it in the terms of how would I feel if some stranger just strolled in & starting cuddling me mum :shock: I think I would be a bit defensive and think hang on a minute whats going on!!

Still very early days with them :wave:

Ha love the smiley face, I saw off the kitten!!! I have 8 cats and 20 rabbits and no issues. I would say be vigilant but it will work out xx

Thanks for that ... Very reassuring :)

Back