• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Chewing and Licking

Lifcess

New Kit
Hey guys,

Before I got my rabbit I did a lot of reading up on what I needed to know before getting a rabbit. Now everywhere I looked mentioned the constant chewing rabbits do for their teeth but this can involve everything from hay to cardboard boxes to furniture. So far the only thing Macguyver seems to chew is food, he has free run of most of the house and hasn't trying chewing on the furniture once. Is this because he is still young? Is it something he is more likely to get into as he gets older?

Also he licks everything! He's constantly jumping up next to me on the couch and licking the cushions, then will turn to and lick my hands and arms and if he can get away with it will lick me on the nose. Super cute but is it normal. Nothing I read mentioned licking.

Thanks guys :)

10369204_10152453159442110_4684054006423996658_n.jpg

It's lovely being licked by a bun warm and weird and yes normal :lol:

If he is a lone house bun then you are his mate so licking is showing you affection my casserole will lick me if after I give him head rubs I put my hand under his chin I love it :love:

Chewing well if he isn't chewing furniture then maybe you don't have a chewer or he just isn't bored enough to bother :thumb:

He looks and sounds so sweet :D

Plenty of hay and chew toys will keep his teeth down and away from your furniture :lol:

Not much help but my bun doesn't really chew anything either:S But he's also young so I'm not going to hold my breath;)

Just wait til those teenage hormones kick in!!!

He may not be a chewer even then tbh but you never can tell.

He is gorgeous.

He's so sweet :love: :). Maybe he's getting all the chew time he needs from hay. Mine really enjoy to chew some nice sticks they love stripping the bark off and gnawing them up. They also enjoy the wooden arches you can buy, so maybe if you haven't tried offering him that yet is something to try. If you keep a variety of things around for him to chew then if the want or need takes him then I'm sure he will. When my buns were babies they licked everything in sight as well lol. Now not so much but Elric still likes to lick me and my husband a lot. She's very cuddly, fussy and cheeky she comes and flops on us dramatically for her daily snuggles lol.

Back