• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Opinions on garden location and plant ID

Freakinfreak

Alpha Buck
Hi all, hope everyone is enjoying the sun.

It is a possibility that Neo may be moving out into the garden when/if I move back home. I would LOVE to have him in my bedroom and it's possible that it would work, but my parents aren't so hot on the idea.

There are two locations in which he could be.

One, against the fence by this plant. Would not be very shaded at all and not sure how safe the plant is? And also cherry tree leaves may fall into the run.
Questions - is this plant dangerous and how important would shade be?

Two, underneath a tree. Would be very shaded but unsure on if the tree is safe. Also no grass growing, mainly moss and ideally I'd want to surround the whole tree with a permanent run, giving him access to the tree trunk. Although I suppose I could wrap the bark with hard plastic... although I think it's going to be super hard and expensive to get something to fit around the tree in terms of a run.
Questions - is this tree/it's red berries dangerous and is constant shade bad?

Ideally, I'd love to convince them to let Neo stay in my room, perhaps downgrading to a single bed would get them to agree as there would be tons of space.

Opinions please everyone!

Shade is good for summer, grass doesn't tend to hang about long with a permanent run on it anyway. Best option for the tree would be to build a wooden frame around it and mesh that. The run would need a wire floor to stop them digging too.

I think the top photo is some form of ivy (plenty of folk on here will know the correct name!). In which case, ivy is not safe.

:wave:

Do you know what the 'berries' look like ripe? It almost looks like it might be an ornamental pear or something similar fruit rather than a berry.

If you've got a run with a lid then falling autumn leaves shouldn't be a big issue even if a few get through.

Do you know what the 'berries' look like ripe? It almost looks like it might be an ornamental pear or something similar fruit rather than a berry.

If you've got a run with a lid then falling autumn leaves shouldn't be a big issue even if a few get through.

The berries are very small, pea sized, deep blood red with a little black dot where it attaches to the branch :)

No birds other than blackbirds seem to eat them that I've noticed, but bees love the flowers!

Back