• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Maintaining bonds with outdoor buns

Alison Marie

Wise Old Thumper
How do you do it? I feel like Nibbles and Buttons hate me :( we were so much closer when they were inside, esp with Nibbles. Now he'd rather run off than sit with me. :shock: bringing them back inside isn't an option right now.

I've only ever had outdoor bunnies. i reckon it is more difficult. My friends have indoor bunnies and they all seem so much closer ..

I know it's hard but maybe just try and accept things the way they are and make a new kind of connection?

They're obviously very happy outside if they'd rather run off and entertain themselves than sit with you, so maybe try to focus on that rather than the fact you aren't getting what you used to out of the relationship.

I know it's hard but maybe just try and accept things the way they are and make a new kind of connection?

They're obviously very happy outside if they'd rather run off and entertain themselves than sit with you, so maybe try to focus on that rather than the fact you aren't getting what you used to out of the relationship.

I think you're right - mine are very happy outside and I get pleasure from seeing them snuggled up together, eating together and grooming each other.

Mine just aren't cuddle buns, and I accept that, and love them for how they are. I don't think if they were indoors mine would be any different to be honest, and it means they get so much more space outdoors. I just love watching them being rabbits :love:

I think the relationship that we have with outdoor Rabbits will always be very different to that we have with indoor Rabbits. I know I am selfish (in more ways than one.....) but I could never keep my Rabbits outdoors. Living with them as part of their 'warren' is just amazing and I truly feel blessed to be so accepted by them. They can read me as well as I can read them. As with Rabbit to Rabbit communication most of my communication with my Rabbits is non verbal. But they have taught me the language of Lagomorphs and I cannot imagine being able to communicate so closely with Rabbits I only saw a few times a day.

My Rabbits do get outdoor time, but I would miss them all far too much if they lived outdoors 24/7. A few of them HATE the outdoors anyway and refuse to move until safely back inside !!

I spend a lot of time sitting in the kitchen doorway with the door open. Kyla is a friendly bun and potters in to see me every day. Tully dislikes people and does not.

Recently, with the weather being so nice, I've been going out and lying on the grass with them in the evening like I do in the lounge with the indoor buns. My hope is that Tully may come and explore and get a bit more used to me. So far he's completely ignored me. The neighbours probably think I've lost it!

It doesn't worry me too much - I am pretty sure they're happy enough with each other for company :)

One positive I suppose is that Buttons is VERY happy out in their new bunshed and she is a lot friendlier than she was when she was inside. I guess I wi just have to accept Nibbles is now a grumpy little man rather than the cuddly little bun he was before :( very sad :lol:

Jane I love having house buns but I know from just looking at B now that some buns prefer being outdoors :D

One positive I suppose is that Buttons is VERY happy out in their new bunshed and she is a lot friendlier than she was when she was inside. I guess I wi just have to accept Nibbles is now a grumpy little man rather than the cuddly little bun he was before :( very sad :lol:

Jane I love having house buns but I know from just looking at B now that some buns prefer being outdoors :D

Absolutely, every Rabbit is an individual :D

Honey and Charlie love both but Charlie will be the one that you'll find back in the kitchen laying down waiting for you to shut the door again lol. I have a bond with them that is unbelievable. They follow me everywhere... Or at least try too. I know what their 'looks' mean. Lilly and bluebell on the other hand are outside and a bit more timid. They always have been. Im hoping to really work on that this summer as im making access to their home easier for me to enter. Its different but i love them all.

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH 6034R using Tapatalk

I don't know what a bond with indoor buns is like.
But my two seem happy and accept me as a feeder, climbing frame and creature in need of lots of grooming so I'm happy with that!

I spent LOADS more time with mine when they were indoors. There just isnt a big enough space, free from the dogs for them so I have to content myself with visiting them.

They are happy. Plenty of space, company and unlimited hay!!!

I am the food bringer and someone to hide from whilst I clean them out, or if you are Sunshine, someone to stroke you.

I adore watching them all just being rabbits but yearn to have a huge rabbity room indoors ...

Stu who spent the best part of 8 months indoors and I wasn't working so he is much closer to me than the other two :D he is a cuddle bun and will come to me in the garden and be picked up and cuddled and will sit with me for ten mins and allow me to cuddle :love:

Casserole and Dumplin only spent about 5 months indoors and I was working so only spent evenings with them and odd days as I do shift work :roll: they will come if I have food :roll: but then are off :? But getting better :)

So that I can spend time with them all now I got a summer house for them to live in so that I can go in too :oops:

Sat on the floor this morning for about 20 mins and had head rubs and kisses from Casserole who,is a real licky bunny given the chance:love: free range garden time also helps they will come and see who the funny human is and hope for a treat :oops:

Jasper's not much of a cuddle bun. In fact I go to get him so he can come out and play and he hops straight back into his room :lol::lol:

When I moved my lot outside, they didn't miss me but I really missed them. So I put in a connecting tunnel so they could come to see me whenever they wanted :wave:

Back