• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Putting a rabbit to sleep or letting them die naturally?

UsagiYojimbo

Alpha Buck
Please can someone talk me through the process of putting a rabbit to sleep, whether it is painful, and what to expect and how to make it as peaceful as possible?

When and how do you decide which is better to let them die naturally or to have them PTS?

It is something I have never had to think about before in my life, and now I am faced with it :(

I would always PTS given the chance unless the rabbit was particulalrly traumatised by going to the vets (ours aren't, as they go at least once a month anyway). I'm sorry you are facing this.
The vet will administer an injection of sodium pentobarbitone and the rabbit will appear to fall asleep and then the heart will stop.
The injection can either just be into a vein or some people prefer to have the rabbit put into a sleep with inhalant anaesthetic before the injection is given. Some vets may not allow you to be present for when the inhalable anaesthetic is given due to the health and safety issues of having you in the room where anaesthetic is used.
It is usually very calm. As with any animal there may be some muscle twitching before death but your rabbit won't be conscious or aware of that. It isn't painful for the rabbit, just for the owner :(

Your other rabbit should not see it happen but some people like the partner to see the body afterwards so that they know the bunny has died.

I think you 'just know' when the time has come to put a beloved pet to sleep. It's as Red Fraggle said. I've always been with my pets when they've been pts, I have to be with them right to the end.

I've never had a companion there with them, but I have always put the body back with them, so they get to spend time with their partner and understand that they have died.

It's heartbreaking, but the last kindness we can afford them, if the time has come x

Thank you for the information... The other morbid question is - what happens afterwards? Can we have him cremated and how would we do this? I want to scatter his ashes in our garden :cry:

The vet will be able to arrange the cremation or you can arrange it yourself. You will need to say whether you want an individual cremation or not.

In April when we had to have our rabbit, Phyllis, put to sleep, I just googled pet crematoriums in our area and came across a few.

Sorry that you are having to make that decision, but it is the kindest thing, if the time has come x

I am sorry you are faced with this situation.

I had always understood that there were two ways - one involving an injection directly into the heart which, I had heard, was not always necessarily pain free. Sorry to say that.

I now always have my rabbit under an anaesthetic before being put to sleep, and yes, it is true (in my vets case), that you cannot be in the room when the anaesthetic is being administered. Even so, with the knowledge I have gleamed, that is definitely my preferred choice.

I might also add (prob not helpful), that although people always say "you will know when the time is right" - I never know when the time is right and think I have prolonged it all longer on occasions.

We have always brought our rabbits home (many of them now!), and they are buried in our garden. Another choice if you do not want ashes as such.

Being PTS is most definitely the kindest option in my opinion (mostly). Perhaps think about how you would feel with a suffering relative? We humans do not currently have the choice which many of us would like.

All I have said is just my opinion and of course we all feel differently.

HTH
Cara

I recently had to have my midnight put to sleep I stayed with her and held her while the vet did it and she didn't even flinch . They shaved her ear a little and injected into a vein she just drifted away peacefully . I've had her cremated on her own so I can keep the ashes it's cost me £108.

Back