• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hopefully Picking up the rabbits tomorrow!

AmyKennedy

Young Bun
EEEEK! just wanted to post because i am so amazingly super excited! XD They are called smudge and tinkerbelle (smudge is a lionhead male and tinkerbelle is a doe, both spayed/neutered ofc) and the are fluffy and gorgeous and i'm in love!!
The people at the (mini) shelter were so nice! I am getting them from this place called the beehive in Northampton, its like 5 minutes away from me, its like a very small shelter, just for small animals, run by Woodgreen animal shelter. The people there were so lovely, i actually got there about 20 minutes after they closed but they still let me in to have a look around. Tinkerbelle and smudge were actually the last rabbits they had that weren't reserved, so that made me very happy, because i instantly fell in love with them! I went to 2 other much larger shelters today as well, but wasn't totally in love with any of the rabbits (although they were all gorgeous) and i felt that the rabbits were pretty overpriced, kept in much worse conditions, the females weren't spayed, and the staff were very rude to me. So so so glad i finally went to woodgreen though! And the rabbits were kept in beautiful little wendy houses, with attached runs, and I have to take photos and measurements of their pen to ensure they are the minimum size, which made me happy and most places dont really bother, as long as you have some sort of hutch and maybe a run.
They let me in the pen with them, and hold both of them, and they have such sweet personalities. They've been there for about 6 weeks, and have apparently gotten a lot more confident and happy around people while they've been there. Tinkerbelle is very shy, and doesnt really like to be handled, but there is one lady who volunteers there who she just lets pick her up, and play with her and everything, but she basically avoids everyone else. But when i sat on the floor in the pen and gently picked her up, she just sat there on my lap, without me holding her, totally able to escape, just sitting there, and the staff there were kinda amazed :lol: And Smudge is very happy to be picked up and played with, he likes people a lot xD The shelter told me to brush them every day (tinkerbells only at the moment because she is moulting so so much for summer) and when they next need their nails clipping (since they only had them done yesterday) they would be happy for me to take them down and they would show me how to do it. :D So so pleased with today, fingers crossed everything will do fine tomorrow and i can bring them home! <3

You sound so excited :thumb::lol:

Sounds like they will be happy with you :D waiting for pics once they have settled a bit :D

You sound so excited :thumb::lol:

Sounds like they will be happy with you :D waiting for pics once they have settled a bit :D

I AM so excited XD can i just ask, do i have to like leave them alone for a few days? just because i know thats what you do with hamsters, but idk about rabbits... And hopefully photos! <3

I would be tempted to let them settle for a few days before any major handling. Sounds like they will be just fine once settled in.

Its great falling in love with them isnt it? I nearly cried with delight when I went to the rescue to pick up my belgian hares. They are just soooooo beautiful.

they sound beautiful... update with pics when you get them!! small rescues are the best in my experience :love:

Thanks everyone for the replies! I wasnt actually able to pick the rabbits up today, because tinkerbelle has to go to the vets tomorrow morning as she has lost fur around her mouth and started dribbling a little, so the shelter want to make sure everything is ok before they go home with me, but they said it might be nothing? If its nothing serious they can come home tomorrow ^_^ I have a photo but im not sure how to add it...i have no clue about breed/colour names oops :lol:
14297693939_a864f31cce.jpg
[/url]babbies by AmyK99, on Flickr[/IMG]

Last edited:
They are hoooooooome :D they've been back for a couple hours, and seem totally relaxed, they are eating /grooming etc while im on the other side of the summerhouse, so they seem perfectly ok. Tink definitely seems to be more adventurous, exploring everything, whereas smudge likes to lie down, and eat :lol: i love them soooo much already <3

I'm so happy for you and the bunnies! They are gorgeous and it sounds like they have a top notch home now!:love:

Back