• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Plans for Your Rabbits ?

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
Thought it might be good to share our ideas about future plans for improving the lives of our Rabbits. Either by making changes to their set-ups or maybe an attempt at a new bonding. Anything really. There can never be too much information with regards to how much more we can all do to give our Rabbits the best lives possible :D

For me, next week Lord H is being neutered and after a few weeks I intend to introduce him to Endeavour. In the past I have had much less stress bonding neutered Bucks than any other combination !! I am nervous though as I have had several failed bonding attempts over recent months ( all Buck/Doe). But there have been specific reasons for this, mostly health issues related. So I am hoping that Endeavour and Lord H might become friends (.........and partners in crime.........:? :shock: )

Then I have a few ideas about improving the enclosures. A successful bond of E and Lord H would make that much easier too. So a fair bit depends on the lads getting along.

I do have some Rabbits on very borrowed time due to chronic health problems. But planning ahead about that is not something I do. I take things hour by hour.

So, what are your Rabbit plans for the rest of the Summer ?

I just posted the below in housing last night:

"Millie and Maddie have lived with me since January and so far they have an indoor cage as a base in the living room facing into the kitchen and at night / when I'm at work they have a pen in the kitchen. They free range when I'm home but are too destructive to free range alone! It means the pen goes up and down every day which is okay as it only takes a few minutes but it also means there is constantly hay and fur on the kitchen floor to be tidied up. Not ideal.

So I'm trying to figure out how to get something more permanent. If I take my desk out of the front room and somehow squeeze it into the bedroom I should be able to fit in a fair sized permanent enclosure, about 2.5m by 1m I think at a rough measure."

I'm trying to find something that's a bit more attractive than the stuff I've found on the market so far.

It's just a case of working out the logistics and probably trying to design an enclosure if I can or modifying something so they can have the space and I can ditch the cage sitting in a random place in the living room and have less fur floating around the kitchen! :lol:

I won't be able to do this for a while because I'm still a relatively poor student with limited space :lol: One day I want to either have a whole room just dedicated to the bunnies or a massive shed in the garden. I'd ideally like to keep them inside but if that becomes impossible I'm going to get them the best outdoor living space possible :D Hopefully i could do that next year.

In the near future I'm going to get them an outside run so that I can put them in the garden for a play, will hopefully do that in a couple of weeks.

When I get my own house I want a room dedicated to bunnies as said above too.

I need to clean out the brick shed and put everything on ebay, then mesh the door and make a level in there and move Binky in there.
Then im going to spay the girls and rebond them.

then (this is a bit ambitious) I'm going to attach a big run to the side of Binkys future shed and put bellas shed sideways at the other end of the run so it goes shed run shed and that way they go through the run as a connector but also to play and they'll have two massive sheds attached :thumb:

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Well thumper has been neutered now and has developed a crush on my name ginger cat....so I'm thinking of getting him a ginger coloured bunny friend (that seems his type) :lol:

Bit worried though cos his last owner said thumper killed his hutch mate! (They were both un-neutered bucks though).

Well hopefully my summer plans will happen tomorrow! Molly and Basil are happy together again and are coming home!!!:D. They will have the whole 120 sq ft room to themselves. :D. I can't wait to have them home I have missed them so much.

Bonding a trio hopefully!!! Just waiting for Talullah to recover from her spay.

Bear and Alice have recently moved into my box room, still a big space for them it's about 10×6 foot.
While I'm bonding downstairs were going to decorate and bunny proof it. It has bare floorboards so trying to come up with a good flooring solution that may help there sore hocks. My dad is also making a bunny gate for the door so they don't have to be shut in. I want to make lots of enriching toys to go in there, they love cardboard and I've started making a cardboard maze to go under the bed :)

:wave: Not sure what else we could do except for some air con in the warmer months in their chalet.

Good luck with the bonding Jane, they will look lovely together and I am sure cause lots of havoc :love:

I'm looking to improve my housing, mainly.
They currently have an 8x6 shed with an 8x8 run attached but I'm hoping to redo with a shed/summerhouse with a minimum size of 10x8. We may go for a giant summerhouse and a very small run attached just so they are able to go outside. Either way we'll have a hole to the run at either end of the shed so that they can do loops through the whole area.
I semi-regret splitting the space so evenly because although they have a reasonably large area with a decent size both inside and out, there's not actually a great length that they can run. I think it makes sense to go for a bigger shed rather than a bigger run since it's all-weather all-year appropriate. We may also look at attaching another run via runaround. Not sure yet.
I want to go for something with lots of windows/see through doors because they do like to lie in the shed looking out the hole in to the run.

Aside from that, we're still trying to rid Lola of her sneezes. We have another 11 days of Baytril to give her :(

James is switching to another job where he'll have more hours/bring more money home and he's said the first thing he'd like to do with the extra money is sort out the garden with awesome housing for the animals. :love:

Well, I don't currently have any rabbits :( so I'm planning way ahead! I was just thinking how in about 10 years time I'd love a house with a little garden so I could adopt a pair of outdoor buns :love: I wouldn't bother with hutches, I'd just bunny-proof the whole thing so they could be free range. And then maybe have a shed for bedtime :) Ahhh, I hope this happens :love:

So so desperately hoping neighbour is really moving so I can have a run outside, for Mr B and Bandit. I think it would do the world of good for Mr B to have some time in the sun.

We've only just done quite a bit but there are a few improvements I'd like to make to Samantha and Truffles' run and shed - they are having an extra level in the shed (and a shelf up high for us) and an open topped wooden tunnel on top of the two runaround tunnels. Also need to get some more permanent shade sorted for them today or tomorrow. The giants are having a digging box built and we're putting extra shading up for them too.

I'd like Spenser to have some outdoor time. Last year I was able to carry him out and in but he has become so resistant to handling that he will need to travel from his room to the garden in his carrier.

I would also like him to eat more hay and do better poos!

Building a 6ft hutch with an attached run so they can be safely left outside whilst I'm at work. This is to help Fiver's sore hocks and to give them something to do during the day...although they usually just sleep anyway! :lol:

When i move to my own house, Olly (currently a free range lounge bun) will become a free range bedroom bun, sharing my room - this way he won't be on his own as much. I hope he doesn't freak at me sleeping in the same room!
Molly will have the other bedroom to herself, but she and Olly can take turns to run on the landing and in the bathroom.
Daisy and Digby will be moving inside to live in the lounge. When i am able to supervise they can play out in the garden. I think in the winter they will love being house buns... But I'm not sure about summer :? We will see!

Amy will be getting spayed next month. I also want to add a pen to her cage and get a run/shelter in the garden. Eventually she'll get a husbun (or even a wifebun), and once I get my own place, a room to herself at the very least, if not fully free range.

I also recently got her a soft, snuggly bed I'll put in her cage after I clean it.

I am learning to drive at the moment so money is limited.

But after I had passed my test, we are going to patio part of the garden and I plan on making two 8x6ft walk-in style aviarys for the bunnies.
Once we have the aviaries completed, I can then look into getting Hershel a girlfriend as well. :thumb:

Also we are going to put in a new fence between us and our neighbours, and then we will be fencing off the rest of the garden from the patio so the bunnies can then free range on the patio area as well as coming in the house.

In the side garden we need to put a fence and gate in and then we will be making raised beds where we are going to grow herbs and vegetables for them. We are currently growing some in plant troughs but this isn't good enough.

It probably won't all be completed until next year as it is quite ambitious but it will look good once it is done.

Already done some things which you can see below, and I will add some more things I'm planning on doing.

Neo now lives 24/7 in his playpen which is 1.1163 sq.m, with a nightly exercise area (more on weekends) of at least 3 times this size. Ideally he would have total access 24/7 to the larger space but this isn't possible (sofa/coffee table/wallpaper/carpet/wires/rentedhouse:().

We have upgraded from a litter tray/hay net combo as this was taking hours to clean up and created a lot of mess. He now has a 75 litre lidded box which we have cut a square hole out of and attached the hay rack to the inside. This keeps all the hay, wee and poo in one place and he likes having a bit of time to his self in his box.

He has a large paving slab along with a marble one as it's getting warmer. He doesn't like the marble, I think it's too slippery for him!

What I'm going to do...

On top of the hay box, I'm going to put a bit of carpet up there with either a treat ball/holder attached to the playpen side that he can only reach after jumping up the box (exercise!) and also one of these to hold the carpet in place and big enough to lay on if he wants something cooler http://s7g1.scene7.com/s7viewers/dhtml/images/spacer.gif

He's going to get new lino flooring that doesn't have a hole in so that we can make the playpen bigger/stretch it out. I've realised the playpen we have can be added to quite easily so lots of scope to increase size. I might sell the hutch so that we can utilise the space and also use the money to go towards something useful.

I want to change his bottle to a bowl, just want to find an appropriate one that we can use that's low enough and big enough.

He is going to be given his nuggets in a treat ball so that he has to work for them, this should hopefully improve exercise and mental stimulation.

I want to buy some plastic tubing that I can cable tie to the playpen, slightly off the floor so that it won't take up any floor space but helps to utilise the wasted space above the floor items - dunno if he will use it!

Due to the pen needing to be easy cleaning, I can't add a shelf and ramp easily but I would like to when I can find a way to do this I will look into it, for now the level on top of the hay box will need to suffice.

I also want to get him a new 'bed' which will probably take the shape of a small plastic dog bed with some kind of bedding. He's chewed towels though so I'm a bit concerned about what to put in it. I've tried hay and all he does is wee and poo in it. I was looking at these... http://media.petsathome.com/wcsstore/pah-cas01//300/32204PL.jpg

I've also contemplated this, climbing in and on. Neo also LOVES to stretch which would be quite suited to this I think... http://media.petsathome.com/wcsstore/pah-cas01//300/31807PL.jpg

I just need to be paid!!! :lol:

Long term, I want to bunny proof the garden so they can free range

Tomorrow, I'm getting ice pods as DP does not like the heat and I can't always be around to wet his ears and flick water at him when he flops!

long term, probably September onwards, my four indoor eight-year olds have to become outdoor or garage bunnies. my garage has a window and a side door that I would open and put in a mesh door for light and air. they'd have access to the yard when supervised, much more so than they do today.

my reason is purely practical. i have to re-do the house after extensive neglect (mh issues) and destruction by rabbits. i can't afford to do it, especially with my job ending, so it has to be once and once only. i can't take any more risks.

so somehow, beloveds have to be made comfortable outdoors.

Back