• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What fly deterients do you use?

apart from cleaning the litter trays out regularly, I use wood pellet cat litter as it seems to absorb smells better than newspaper and hay, I use some pieces of material with citronella oil on it hung through holes in the ceiling joists of the shed. But if you use citronella it is NOT rabbit safe so it must be impossible for them to get to. I don't have a fly problem, but if I did I would get one of those electric blue light fly killer units to put in there (when the mains power cable eventually gets connected :roll::lol:) I also leave all the cobwebs on the ceiling etc, so the spiders can catch flies too.

I also use cat wood litter in their litter tray stop it smelling. It helps alot :D I have those yellow flower fly stickers on my windows too which catch alot of flies and mesh panels on the windows to try and stop bugs coming in when the windows are open. I keep the windows closed alot because they're very sneezy bunnies anyway and any flies that manage to get in are killed by the stickers :)

I don't really use anything but have used citronella pouches in the past and will refresh them with some oil if I notice flies hanging around. I'm glad zoobec reminded me it's not safe, I put a few drops on some of their mats the other day! :oops:

I also use cat wood litter in their litter tray stop it smelling. It helps alot :D I have those yellow flower fly stickers on my windows too which catch alot of flies and mesh panels on the windows to try and stop bugs coming in when the windows are open. I keep the windows closed alot because they're very sneezy bunnies anyway and any flies that manage to get in are killed by the stickers :)
Have you seen a vet about their sneezing? You might find keeping the windows open is actually better for them.

I use drops of citronella essential oil on a piece of fabric hung out of reach of the bunnies. I top it up with around 10 drops every other day. It works well for me, I don't see flies in my bunny accommodation.

I also completely clean trays once a day, sometimes twice. I line my trays with megazorb and cover it with a thick layer of hay. I think the megazorb absorbs some of the smell, so flies aren't attracted to it.

Citronella pouches hung out of reach, fly screens and I also have an electric light but only use this when I am around as am paranoid about it catching fire.

Where do you get the window stickers from? I bought fly papers but don't really have anything to hang them from and they look horrible. Do the stickers leave a mark on the window when you peel therm off?
Thanks. X

Where do you get the window stickers from? I bought fly papers but don't really have anything to hang them from and they look horrible. Do the stickers leave a mark on the window when you peel therm off?
Thanks. X

I got them from Tesco. They look like sunflowers then you just stick them in the corners of your windows. No marks either :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a blue fly light in the kitchen where "bunny HQ" is. I've also used citronella candles as and when required but, being indoors, it's not too much of a problem :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back