• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice on looking after a pregnant lopear doe please

3doe rabbits

Young Bun
At the center my son goes to one of the teachers brought in a rabbit which has been spending all it's time there apparently to help teach the kids about them . Recently my lad took over looking after it as he wasn't happy with the way it was being looked after . He came home today and has asked if he can bring it home at weekends instead of it being left on its own of course I said yes but the rabbit is pregnant can someone give me some advice on how to look after her during the pregnancy , from what my son has said she's not been looked after very well they've been feeding her musli food in large amounts can I change her to pellets while she is pregnant x

Last edited:
So the Doe belongs to the teacher ?

A pregnant Doe should not be constantly moved about. She should remain in a familiar environment. How far advanced is the pregnancy ? All the stress she is enduring could mean she either aborts the kits or rejects them if she goes full term (approx 32 days). I think being fed muesli mix is the least of her worries at the moment :cry:

Yes she belonged to one of the teachers and totally agree food is the least of her problems my lad said she hasn't started nesting yet and seems happy for him to handle and fuss her although she is wary of others and hides if the teacher appears not sure how far she is but I'll try and get in touch with the teacher he wasn't in today . Apparently he normally comes in in a weekend to check on her but he's going away and sams worry about leaving her he's got quiet attach to her and I guess knowing how I spoil mine he thinks she'd be better looked after here with him

Not a great example of animal welfare to set the kids . . .

Thankfully your son seems to be much more clued up than the teacher.

I think a word in the ear of the teacher . . suggesting that a pregnant doe who might abort kits if moved around really isnt a good thing to have either for the rabbit or the childrens sake. Can you offer her a home?

PS her ear angle will not make any difference to the pregnancy :lol::lol:

Ill definitely be having words and have aready said if she has her kits here I won't be moving her . From what my lad said the teacher didn't know she was pregnant at first so I'm guessing that why he hasn't took her home but as my lad said she can't be left at school on her own it's not fair . I wasn't planning on getting anymore rabbits but got a sneaky idea my lads got other ideas lolx

Best to keep her on the same brand of food at the moment, muesli isn't great but it's issues are mostly longer term. I would introduce lots of hay if she doesn't already eat it and if she's having a lot of muesli then you could cut back a bit so her bowl is empty for at least a while each day. You'll have to see what she'll eat in the way of hay, if she eats lots the you can reduce the dry food more easily. Don't be too strict at the moment as she'll need extra calories for the pregnancy.

She'll need a nesting area - somewhere enclosed she can build the nest. If she's in a hutch, I'd suggest putting a 3" baton across the bottom of door between sections to stop the kits being dragged out the nest. You might be able to figure out a rough due date based on when she could have last seen a male. A pregnancy is 28 days.

You don't have to do a lot with kits unless there is a problem. Once they're arrived check every 24 hours briefly to make sure they have fat tummies and otherwise leave them alone until they start getting adventurous.

Update

Just thought I'd let you all know the rabbit is safe turns out one of the new teachers breeds rabbits so is taking over looking after her . He thinks she's about 15 weeks but not sure so he's taken her home with him x:D

Back