• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Still not eating after dental : (

Pixie had a dental on Monday and to our amazment started eating when she got home which is very unusal indeed for her. (vet is very rabbit savvy, Iv'e been going to them for years with bunnies) She has regular dentals but this time is different. She stopped eating on Wed so back to the vet and she was kept in all day and night for force feeding and meds (pain killer and gut stumulant etc). Today she has just nibbled very small amounts but was getting very stressed indeed at the vet and her partner was getting even more stressed too at the vet so i decided to bring them both home and see how she goes (she came home with full meds etc). I've tried everything to get her to eat but she's only nibbleing very little. Tried fresh herbs, carrot, apple all her favouite things. Ive even tried them chopped up very small and medium sized and also in a mash too!! I'm getting very worried now as she's always started to eat by the fourth day! Please send her any vibes you can send, I've a terrible feeling about this and I'm so worried. I just know she's going to end up at the vet again getting really stressed out again. Sorry to go on guys, just needed a rant about it. The vet has double checked her mouth and said all looks really good so she really doesn't know why she's not eating properly yet.

Not sure if you saw my recent thread about Rolo, but he's not long had a dental and it took him a full week before he was eating by himself and like you, I was incredibly worried.

He had the dental on the Monday, we were back at the vets every day until Friday, he had metacam and metaclopromide injections and over the weekend, the vet gave us oral metaclopromide as I think the vet visits were stressing him out. She could find no reason at all why he wouldn't eat!

Thankfully he's back to normal now but I know how awful it is.

Sending lots and lots of vibes and (((hugs))) for you xxx

Last time my bun had a dental she didn't eat for about 4 days - not properly any way.

She usually eats straight away, I went back to the vets and he said everything was all fine and that she may have just been tender as her spurs were nasty but there were no ulcerations.

Hope your bunny picks up soon xx

Poor Pixie :cry:

What are her exact Dental problems ?

Sending lots of vibes for her xx

Hi Jane :wave: She needed her front teeth burrred down as they grow in all sorts of ways. There is a step tooth on her top right molors, all other teeth have sharp spurs but luckly none have made her mouth sore so thats good. The vet did say she has the mouth of a very old bunny (she's only 5). Two of her back teeth are wobbly too so all in all her teeth aren't good. The last dental was two months ago and the vet took her teeth down as far as she could. I know there will come a time when a decision will need to be made but she's such a hoppy tough little nut we just adore but I'm very worried as she's never taken this long to eat after a dental before. she's back at the vet this morning as I have to be at work so they are force feeding today and i'll take over tonight. Poor little love, I do feel sorry for her.

Hi Jane :wave: She needed her front teeth burrred down as they grow in all sorts of ways. There is a step tooth on her top right molors, all other teeth have sharp spurs but luckly none have made her mouth sore so thats good. The vet did say she has the mouth of a very old bunny (she's only 5). Two of her back teeth are wobbly too so all in all her teeth aren't good. The last dental was two months ago and the vet took her teeth down as far as she could. I know there will come a time when a decision will need to be made but she's such a hoppy tough little nut we just adore but I'm very worried as she's never taken this long to eat after a dental before. she's back at the vet this morning as I have to be at work so they are force feeding today and i'll take over tonight. Poor little love, I do feel sorry for her.

Has she had any Dental Xrays taken recently ? There may be issues going on 'below the surface' now such as tooth root elongation. TRE can cause considerable pain and often the actual Dental can temporarily exacerbate the jaw pain.

Also, if the Dental meant her mouth was clamped open for some time a condition akin to TMJ pain ( Temporomandibular joint pain) can occur. Again, this can cause temporary (up to about a week) significant pain.

I hope she starts to feel much better soon xx

Dental buns are complex little things with there little teeth. Really hope your bunny starts eating properly soon! X

Back