• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

bottle Vs bowl

furbabies

Warren Scout
Just wondering which your buns prefer, thumper always had a bottle but after getting neutered on Tuesday he was very thirsty and got really angry with his bottle as it wasn't coming out fast enough so i have him a bowl which he used. But now his thirst is back to normal he won't use his bottle now! Do your rabbits have a bowl of water or a bottle? And do they chop and change?

Just wondering which your buns prefer, thumper always had a bottle but after getting neutered on Tuesday he was very thirsty and got really angry with his bottle as it wasn't coming out fast enough so i have him a bowl which he used. But now his thirst is back to normal he won't use his bottle now! Do your rabbits have a bowl of water or a bottle? And do they chop and change?

I did start with a bottle at the very beginning when I get the boys but I quickly realized that they didn't seem to be getting much out of it. When I gave them their coop cup bowl they instantly drank a lot more than usual. I think they used to get sick of trying with the spout.

Mine now love their bowl and drink lots more, I mean water is good for anyone right? It can only be a good thing if they are getting exactly the amount that they want.

I am all for water bowls. I haven't used a bottle for years. I find big ceramic bowls designed for dogs the best :)

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk 2

Bowls, big ceramic dog bowls. Much more natural for them to drink out of as well as being easier. Mine used to have bottles but they would spend so much time drinking and only getting a minimal amount of water out.

Charley drinks from her bowl but a few months ago I noticed she wasn't drinking very much so I gave her a bottle too and she drank loads. Maybe she doesn't mind tongue ache!

When a boarder comes in I always ask whether they're used to a bowl or bottle. If the owner says bottle, I will put a bottle on but always put a bowl in too. If they say bowl, just a bowl goes in.

For the boarders which have come in used to a bottle, 100% of them have ignored the bottle all week and drank exclusively out of the bowl :lol: (I always let the owner know and all owners this has happened to have been pleasantly surprised and subsequently switched to a bowl)

Now when new boarders come and say they've tried their bunny with a bowl 'but they prefer the bottle' I always nod and smile sweetly and put a bowl in anyway as I am pretty certain that during their stay they will switch to the bowl :oops::lol:. I think the issue with some people is they use small plastic bowls that are low to the floor and light so bunny simply knocks them over or get poo/bedding in them, so the owners think they don't like it/want to drink from it and remove.

So, a 100% firm believer that given the right kind of bowl (one that's the right height, and heavy so they can't knock over) a bunny will always prefer a bowl (well, in my experience anyway)

So bowls seem to be the more popular choice! :thumb: i have a small ceramic one for him at the moment and he doesn't tip it....yet! :)

Now when new boarders come and say they've tried their bunny with a bowl 'but they prefer the bottle' I always nod and smile sweetly and put a bowl in anyway as I am pretty certain that during their stay they will switch to the bowl :oops::lol:. I think the issue with some people is they use small plastic bowls that are low to the floor and light so bunny simply knocks them over or get poo/bedding in them, so the owners think they don't like it/want to drink from it and remove.

George used to drink from a bottle, but as Harry refused to drink from a bottle, when we bonded them we had to switch him to a bowl. I think he prefers the bowl and they are quite funny as they tend to be quite sloppy drinkers. :love:

But...my Hershel refuses point blank to drink from a bowl. In the past I've given him the choice between bottle and a big ceramic bowl.
I've tried loads of things to get him to use the bowl, I've put in probiotics in his water which he normally goes mad for, etc, but he just ignores the bowl.

He's going for boarding soon to Tuckerbunnies so hopefully Maysie and Mike can turn him as I do think they drink more from a bowl.

George used to drink from a bottle, but as Harry refused to drink from a bottle, when we bonded them we had to switch him to a bowl. I think he prefers the bowl and they are quite funny as they tend to be quite sloppy drinkers. :love:

But...my Hershel refuses point blank to drink from a bowl. In the past I've given him the choice between bottle and a big ceramic bowl.
I've tried loads of things to get him to use the bowl, I've put in probiotics in his water which he normally goes mad for, etc, but he just ignores the bowl.

He's going for boarding soon to Tuckerbunnies so hopefully Maysie and Mike can turn him as I do think they drink more from a bowl.

Charlie didn't work out how to drink out of a bowl until he was about 3 (up until then, he'd just pee in the water bowl and drink from the bottle :? ) but now he can use them. He has however stopped eating out of them!

But I don't think Charlie can be the basis for "normal" :lol:

Mine have both. They do like to drink out of a bowl, but also like to splash around in it like it's a tiny paddling pool it seems :D So the bottle is there in case I'm not home and they knock their bowl flying as they will still use it.

My boy has a bowl. I find the bottles get clogged up with limescale, as we live in a hard water area, and then the ball won't roll properly either, limiting the amount of water that can actually come out.
There's lots of licking, but not much drinking going on!! Also, I find the bottles tend to go green, when they're outside, so a bowl is definitely much easier to clean and refill. :D

Mabel and Arthur have a bowl. She is a very dainty drinker and he makes a big old splashy mess. It's easier to give fresh water more frequently with a bowl. I think you just have to be careful in case a rabbit has a large dewlap as if they drink from a bowl and the dewlap is constantly getting wet then that's not a good thing.

When a boarder comes in I always ask whether they're used to a bowl or bottle. If the owner says bottle, I will put a bottle on but always put a bowl in too. If they say bowl, just a bowl goes in.

For the boarders which have come in used to a bottle, 100% of them have ignored the bottle all week and drank exclusively out of the bowl :lol: (I always let the owner know and all owners this has happened to have been pleasantly surprised and subsequently switched to a bowl)

So, a 100% firm believer that given the right kind of bowl (one that's the right height, and heavy so they can't knock over) a bunny will always prefer a bowl (well, in my experience anyway)

:lol: I was just about to say how when Pete came to you he came back drinking out of a bowl! X

Back