• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Poppy - Help/advise required please

Bunnie_Mummy

Young Bun
Morning all,

Were having a bit of trouble with Poppy and I'm wondering if you can help.

Over the past 6 months she is getting thinner and thinner. And on multiple occasions we have taken her to the vets. 3 in fact!

They have checked her teeth, stomach etc and said there is nothing that they can find...

She is still eating, and most nights I separate both Poppy and Douglas in order for her to get more food and for me to monitor her eating, again, she eats fine.

But her stomach is constantly making noises, as if she is hungry. And she is now deffinatley under weight, to the point where I can feel her ribs and back bone. But the vets say as long as shes eating, which she is!

She is drinking water fine, no increase in thirst.

The vets have suggested an Xray to see if she has a tumour inside her stomach. So this is our next step, so she's booked in for that tonight. And this morning has started with almost diahorrea like poop. (She's always had sticky poops, on and off, for as long as we can rem - but this has mainly been controlled by diet, not too much veg substantial amounts of hay etc)

As we got her as a rescue bunny we are unsure of her age now, but she is more than likely between 6-8yrs old.

I'm wondering if you have had any problems like this? - Please help.

I would suggest a full blood profile, paying particular attention to her Liver Function

I hope that your Vet can find out what is wrong and that there will be some treatment options for her xx

Back