• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Milo and Finn go for their neuter (UPDATE: NO NEUTER TODAY)

Sarah1991

Warren Veteran
Can I please have some 'go well' vibes for Milo and Finns neutering tomorrow. I'm already stressed. I'm getting a taxi to the vets at 8:10 and getting them there for 8:30.

I'm going to walk to the town after I drop them off and do some shopping to keep myself occupied. If I go home I won't be able to stop looking at their empty cage. I'm going to clean out the medical cage tomorrow morning and put down some nice fleecy blankets to keep the wounds clean.

I'm also going to pack them a post op lunch of excel pellet and I've also bought some parsley and redigrass to temp them afterwards which they usually go mad for. Obviously going to stuff the carrier with hay too.

I'm also going to ask about the fur loss on Milo's foot, just to ensure there's nothing wrong and keep my mind at ease. I'm hoping all goes to plan. I keep on looking at their little faces and feeling awful for doing it to them because Finn really really hates being in the carrier and being handled. Poor lamb. :(

I'm going to ask the vet a couple of little questions, I really want them housing as far away from and barking dogs after the op as Finn is really nervous and Milo isn't much better with strange noises. Is there anything else I need to ask? Do I need to ask about any pain relief or anything else?

Keep your fingers crossed for us won't you!? :wave:

Last edited:
Sending Vibes for your boys! They gave thumper a lasting injection of pain relief and antibiotic so he didn't need anything else. I'm sure Milo and Finn will be fine, thumper is back to normal now running round. Will be thinking of you tomorrow xxxx

Sending Vibes for your boys! They gave thumper a lasting injection of pain relief and antibiotic so he didn't need anything else. I'm sure Milo and Finn will be fine, thumper is back to normal now running round. Will be thinking of you tomorrow xxxx

Thank you! I'm glad Thumper is back to his good old self now! :D I hate the idea of waiting to hear if alls gone well. I know it should though!

Good luck hunni hope it all goes well for them (they're so cute :love: ), here's to hoping they're bounding around causing mischief in no time :) x x x

Just packed the boys lunch for in the morning. Packed them lots of nice fresh farm hay in the carrier and packed them some pellet and dandelion as well as some fresh parsley to temp them after the op.

I think I'm ready, all that's left to do is to clean out the cage and put a fleece blanket down all clean for their return in the morning. Really nervous now. Poor lads don't know what coming to them.

All the best... Lots of healing vibes for them

Hugs for you, must be a terrible worry

fee x

I felt the same packing thumpers lunch (which he didn't touch)! I think it's more stressful for us humans! I'm sure they'll be fine, i will be keeping an eye out tomorrow waiting for updates! Xxx

I don't believe it haha! After all the stress and getting them all organised the vet said they can't be done as their testicles haven't descended! I've had to make an appointment in another month to see if they have dropped by then! :roll:

What a carry on, they did so well in the car on the way there and Milo only thumped once instead of lots of times like he usually does. The vet had a close look at both of them and neither of them had anything! He had a very long look at Finn because he didn't know if he was a girl! But after a while he said he was pretty sure they are both boys! :roll:

Well, were back home now and tucking into hay and pellet. So the stress hasn't fazed them that much. I just wanted it over and done with today. More stress in a months time now instead! And a wasted days holiday at work! :roll:

Lol! At least they had a test run! And now you can relax and enjoy your day off with them....and next month start again! Lol :lol:

Lol! At least they had a test run! And now you can relax and enjoy your day off with them....and next month start again! Lol :lol:

I couldn't believe it haha, I've had to get two taxis there and back with them. Little sods! Can't believe they haven't dropped yet! Although I'm slightly concerned at how difficult he found it to sex Finn. 0o He did have a good look and a poke around. He had a look at Milos foot too and said all I can do is keep an eye on it really so at least its nothing to worry about, if anything I know there's no problems with his foot now. So it wasn't a total wasted trip! :lol:

I can only laugh about it I guess!

Oh dear ... did you hear the buns giggling in the carrier on the way back? :roll:

Very possibly. They are looking a bit mischievous at the minute, tucking into the after neuter lunch I made them with a ''haha we still have our balls'' kind of look.

Oh and just as a question for anyone who knows the answer, the vet said that if I wanted them done I would have to have it done through the abdomen rather than the scrotum, obviously I said no as it would have meant a more expensive and unusual surgery which I didn't want them to have. Is it normal for them to ask that? Also to get a good look at Finn he put him upside down, like on his back on the table!? I didn't really like it but I always just assume the vet knows best what to do? It was the only way that he could get a look at him as he really hates being picked up but I'm not sure? If he does it again should I ask him not to? :?

See, told you if you hoicked them back up you'd hang on to 'em :thumb: I intend to do just that next week. No pesky Vet is having my plums any time soon :evil:

All the best mates

Lord H xx

See, told you if you hoicked them back up you'd hang on to 'em :thumb: I intend to do just that next week. No pesky Vet is having my plums any time soon :evil:

All the best mates

Lord H xx

Lol does this mean that they probably just hid them away? I did think of that but the vet said he could hardly feel anything, but I always assumed that a rabbit under stress (i.e vet trip) would hide their plumbs anyway? :?

Very possibly. They are looking a bit mischievous at the minute, tucking into the after neuter lunch I made them with a ''haha we still have our balls'' kind of look.

Oh and just as a question for anyone who knows the answer, the vet said that if I wanted them done I would have to have it done through the abdomen rather than the scrotum, obviously I said no as it would have meant a more expensive and unusual surgery which I didn't want them to have. Is it normal for them to ask that? Also to get a good look at Finn he put him upside down, like on his back on the table!? I didn't really like it but I always just assume the vet knows best what to do? It was the only way that he could get a look at him as he really hates being picked up but I'm not sure? If he does it again should I ask him not to? :?

Sorry I don't know the answer to your question about the operation procedure, but I would certainly ask why this method was being advised. I don't have any experience of how a rabbit would be sexed, but I certainly would have thought it could be done without laying the rabbit on his back on a table. I do know that it often takes one person to hold the rabbit securely and another to have a good look 'down below'.

I've never known a vet put a bunny on their back like that to look at their bottom. Mine usually hold him up and peer down whilst letting Ludo keep his back feet on the floor.

But I'm no expert so wouldn't know if it's right or not.

Lol does this mean that they probably just hid them away? I did think of that but the vet said he could hardly feel anything, but I always assumed that a rabbit under stress (i.e vet trip) would hide their plumbs anyway? :?

Yes, they certainly can and do hoick 'em up if they feel threatened. Well you would wouldn't you !! It is often the case that once under GA the Vet can tease the testis down again.

GRAPHIC IMAGES ON THIS LINK

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Uro_gen_diseases/castration/Castra/Castration.htm

I would not have been happy with the way the Vet handled your Rabbits.

Back