• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

essential oil room/litter tray spray safety

Georgeypudding

Wise Old Thumper
Does anyone know if its safe to use diluted essential oils around rabbits? Mixture would be spray bottle full of water, 1 tsp of white vinegar and 3-4 drops of lavender oil/ lavender and lemon. Would then spray it on litter trays and the rubber matting and left to dry before the rabbits are allowed near it :)

I don't know I'm afraid, but I use citronella oil on a piece of material and tuck it well into a knot hole in the roof timber of the shed, as I know that's definitely not bunny safe but it is a good fly repellent, it's definitely working :thumb:

Hope your idea is safe because that would be better :thumb:

I wouldn't risk it - but I'm a wuss!

ETA I use Virkon - they use it at vets - which is extremely good at getting rid of everything. Quite expensive to buy a tub but it lasts for absolutely ages as you dilute into a spray bottle.

Last edited:
I wouldn't risk it - but I'm a wuss!

ETA I use Virkon - they use it at vets - which is extremely good at getting rid of everything. Quite expensive to buy a tub but it lasts for absolutely ages as you dilute into a spray bottle.

Ooh yes I use virkon for cleaning too, it's brilliant :thumb: I've got fly repellant on the brain I think :shock: I wasn't thinking about it from a cleaning point of view :lol:

this is purely about smell, I've got rid of most of it but my rubber matting seems to have absorbed the smell of wee :mrgreen: couple that with two rabbits who often sit outside of the litter tray eating their hay and peeing on the floor you can understand where I'm coming from, little sods :lol: I may just spray it on the backside of the matting which the rabbits can't get to and on the wall behind the litter trays (hooded corner trays, they don't pull them around so not worry about them getting to it)

eta: I clean with a jetwash or hose and a mixture of water, vinegar and fairy liquid or milton. I hated virkon :?

this is purely about smell, I've got rid of most of it but my rubber matting seems to have absorbed the smell of wee :mrgreen: couple that with two rabbits who often sit outside of the litter tray eating their hay and peeing on the floor you can understand where I'm coming from, little sods :lol: I may just spray it on the backside of the matting which the rabbits can't get to and on the wall behind the litter trays (hooded corner trays, they don't pull them around so not worry about them getting to it)

eta: I clean with a jetwash or hose and a mixture of water, vinegar and fairy liquid or milton. I hated virkon :?

That's a shame as I find it so good. We're all different, though.

I use essential oils a lot, but not around animals. I think they might be too powerful for them.

Back