• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

mixi jabs...worth it or not?

curlyanwurly

Warren Scout
As ive just had my out door bun die from mixi even tho he had the jab im now undecided as to wether I should have my indoir bunnies jabbed they are obviously bored an need a daily outing so thinking of getting them their jabs but I dont know if it is worth it or not due tonwhat happened. Whats everyone's oppinions please.?

I'm sorry you lost your bunny :(

I'll always get any rabbit vaccinated as long as they're healthy enough. The vaccine cannot give 100% protection, but it does make it much, much less likely that a rabbit will get myxi. It also means that they can get a lesser form of myxi which they can survive.

My two are indoors, and don't even go out to play but I still don't think I could live with myself if I decided not to get them vaccinated anymore and then something happened to them. At least with the vaccine, I'm doing everything I can.

I get mine vaccinated, I feel its worth giving them a better chance of surviving. Also the insurance will not cover against illnesses like myxi etc if theyu have not been vaccinated x

It's not something I have to spend any time weighing up - it's just something I see as essential. Most of my rabbits are house rabbits and some don't spend any time outside but there is a possibility of myxi and VHD being caught by indoor bunnies, i just wouldn't risk their precious lives by not protecting them.

No brainer - if the rabbit is well enough to receive the vaccine it has to be a yes. A rabbit who is not vaccinated has no chance of survival, a rabbit that has been vaccinated has atleast got a chance of beating myxo.

We owe it to our rabbits both indoors and out to give them the best chance :)

I'm sorry to hear you lost a bunny to myxo

If myxo were a disease you personally could get, and you could pay £25/£30 a year to have the vaccine, would there be a doubt in your mind as to whether you should get it?

I'm sorry to hear about your rabbit dying, it's quite unusual for a vaccinated rabbit to get full blown myxomatosis. Usually rabbits become immune or may develop treatable modular myxo if infected - there are several owners on here whose rabbits have had this kind and fully recovered - without the vaccine their rabbits wouldn't have stood a chance.

Agree with above posts :thumb:

Sorry you lost your bun :( When you say they were vaccinated, do you mean yearly or one off? It's quite rare as others say, that vaccinated buns die to myxi :cry: But still possible if their immune system was down when vaccinated.

As ive just had my out door bun die from mixi even tho he had the jab im now undecided as to wether I should have my indoir bunnies jabbed they are obviously bored an need a daily outing so thinking of getting them their jabs but I dont know if it is worth it or not due tonwhat happened. Whats everyone's oppinions please.?

I am so sorry that you have lost a Rabbit to Myxomatosis :cry: You must be devastated. It seems so unfair that it should happen despite the fact that you did everything possible to prevent it by getting the Rabbit vaccinated :cry:

I totally understand you now questioning the efficacy of the vaccine and it is reasonable to question whether vaccinating really is worth it. Personally I think it definitely is I think that as with any vaccine there will be the minimal risk that an individual recipient will not have an adequate response to it to give full immunity. Maybe due to a pre-existing underlying illness. But the risk of a poor response is so small compared to the huge risk of an un-vaccinated Rabbit contracting Myxo.

Hopefully you have a trusting relationship with your Vet so I'd suggest booking an appointment to have a full discussion about it all with him/her.
You are being very responsible in asking questions, I hope that your Vet can re-assure you and that your remaining Rabbits are considered healthy and able to receive their vaccination.

Once again, I really am so sorry for your recent tragic loss :cry:

Thanks everyone. Im going to book them in for monday as thats my next day off. Im sure it is worth it but as mine died it did make me question it but you have all convinced me its worth it. By tge way I wish it was only £25 my vets charge £37 each !. Still worth it tho

I'm sorry you lost your rabbit: it is unusual for a rabbit to develop full-blown myxi if the vaccinations are up-to-date, but obviously it can happen. You are doing the right thing in taking your others for their boosters. All we can do is our very best to protect them and look after them.

Back