• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What to do in this situation? *updated post 17*

midori1999

Alpha Buck
A friend (well, more of a friend of a friend/internet friend really, we've never met) has just got two presumed un neutered does from a rescue as companions for her buck. I have spoken to her and said the chances of a successful bond with un neutered does are very, very low. (Please feel free to tell me if I'm wrong) the rescue apparently don't neuter does, only bucks and only really have pairs available but were prepared to split a male/female pair so my friend could take a single doe, but she didn't feel she should do that.

Anyway, friend had the best intentions but realises she has made a mistake. She cannot afford to neuter the does and doesn't know what to do. The rescue will take them back but if she wants a single bunny then it will be taken from a pair and it still won't be neutered.

I've suggested contacting the PDSA about neutering, I'm not sure if she's eligible, I've suggested she contact a different rescue for advise. She has phoned the RSPCA who basically just told her she shouldn't have taken any other rabbits if she couldn't look after them. I totally see what they are saying, but that's not much help, is it?

Any ideas/suggestions please? This person is in Derbyshire if that helps.

Last edited:
The main thing I take from all of that is that she can't afford to neuter the rabbit(s). To me this rings alarm bells as a stasis episode can easily cost more than a spay and it is absolutely essential that the funds are there to cover this eventuality. So for me, if you can't afford the spay, you can't afford the rabbit. This also goes, harsh as it is, for advising to go somewhere that would offer a neutered doe for rehoming - the cost of health care still needs to be factored in.

However, all that aside. I definitely wouldn't put two unneutered does with a neutered buck as the dynamics are too risky. One unneutered doe might work okay, though is still a risk. I however just wouldn't want to recommend this as I consider spaying essential for the health of the does.

If I was faced with the dilemma of wanting a single doe even if unneutered, I'd look on the free ads, go to a pet shop/breeder first rather than split a bonded pair - that's just such a big No-no.

Thanks. You're right of course. :cry:

I just don't really know what to suggest she does. She does have another pair of bunnies, that are male/female but that doe isn't neutered either. Otherwise maybe she could try and bond the buck with her other pair. None of it is ideal but having a to at her isn't going to help either.

I don't know what to suggest she does with these two does as it doesn't seem great for her to give them back to this rescue either.

Oh, just to add, she'd already put her buck with the does, I've told her to seperate them.

Oh dear, that was a bit silly of her. Even unbonded the buck may, erm, fancy a bit and it only takes a second.

It may be that the rescue won't/can't take them back now, not knowing if the does are pregnant and it would be irresponsible of your friend to give a potentially pregnant doe/s to a rescue without telling them.

I think the situation for your friend has changed somewhat in that she has no choice but to keep them for however many weeks it is the gestation period is, just to be sure.

Does she have insurance for the rabbits she already has and would she get the new ones insured too? I second that it sounds like she's taken on more than she bargained for as she rushed into it, although her heart was in the right place she didn't think it through first, which is a shame.

Sorry, the buck is neutered. He recently lost his neutered wife. The rescue gave her these does knowing she was planning on bonding them with her buck. I know she is at fault here, but I do feel a little sympathy for her as she went to the rescue thinking she was doing the right thing and they told her she could bond these does with her buck. She contacted me after the mutual friend told her to as she introduced them yesterday and felt things weren't right.

Oh dear, that was a bit silly of her. Even unbonded the buck may, erm, fancy a bit and it only takes a second.

It may be that the rescue won't/can't take them back now, not knowing if the does are pregnant and it would be irresponsible of your friend to give a potentially pregnant doe/s to a rescue without telling them.

I think the situation for your friend has changed somewhat in that she has no choice but to keep them for however many weeks it is the gestation period is, just to be sure.

Does she have insurance for the rabbits she already has and would she get the new ones insured too? I second that it sounds like she's taken on more than she bargained for as she rushed into it, although her heart was in the right place she didn't think it through first, which is a shame.

I think the buck was neutered? That's how I read it anyway. I hope so!

Can't she return these two to the rescue and then adopt a spayed female from another rescue?

Angie, to be fair, having read back (it was long! :oops:) I don't think I mentioned the buck was neutered. Sorry!

Catherine, that would seem the simplest solution but I'm wondering if that would be the best thing for the two does concerned. :(

Angie, to be fair, having read back (it was long! :oops:) I don't think I mentioned the buck was neutered. Sorry!

Catherine, that would seem the simplest solution but I'm wondering if that would be the best thing for the two does concerned. :(

Perhaps not, but neither is having an owner that can't afford to spay them and therefore probably can't afford vet treatment (sorry if that comes accross a bit harsh to your friend btw) - at least if they go back to rescue they may get another forever home?

I know what you mean and I agree tbh, although I wonder what sort of rescue doesn't neuter does? Is that common?

I have messaged her suggesting she returns the does but she still has them with her buck and thinks if they have enough space and seperate sleeping areas they'll be fine. :( a vet nurse friend is trying to convince her too but she won't listen. I think she just thinks it can all work out. She has said she will get them neutered when she can afford it.

I know what you mean and I agree tbh, although I wonder what sort of rescue doesn't neuter does? Is that common?

I have messaged her suggesting she returns the does but she still has them with her buck and thinks if they have enough space and seperate sleeping areas they'll be fine. :( a vet nurse friend is trying to convince her too but she won't listen. I think she just thinks it can all work out. She has said she will get them neutered when she can afford it.

I think it is fairly common sadly. I wouldn't call them a proper rescue and certainly would never affiliate or adopt from any rescue that doesn't routinely neuter and vaccinate, but I know it happens. Heck, my local rescue who everyone seems to still praise doesn't routinely neuter and vaccinate :?

Hi, can't she just house the girls seperately until she can afford the neutering? To qualify for help from the PDSA she needs to recieve housing benefit, income support, job seekers, those types of benefits. If she recieves those the PDSA will help. I don't know if the PDSA is willing to help other people not on benefits for a cost or not I don't believe so but it might be worth calling them to see. If not there are some charities that can and will assist with the cost of neutering.

I'm still not sure why she got 2 un-neutered does. Unless they are very young, it is fairly inevitable that they will start fighting due to hormones and they would end up having to be separated if. Were they already paired?

Could she just return one to the rescue, neuter the other and then bond to her boy? Or swap for a single neutered boy to bond with hers? Two neutered boys should be OK.

Alternatively, it sounds like there is a chance they could have been neutered before they went to rescue - can she get any more history on them? 2 adult females already bonded and not fighting might be good news, but neuter status needs to be confirmed properly.

She got two girls as the rescue she got the bunnies from have paired up most of their bunnies and apparently the only way to get a single doe was to split a male/female pair. :( the rescue advised her it was suitable to try and bond these does with her neutered buck.

I think I may have upset this friend slightly by not agreeing with her, but she has said they are building another run, so hopefully that is good news. I've suggested she explore fully whether the PDSA is an option.

Catherine, Thankyou. I did think it sounded bizarre, very sad to hear it's not uncommon. :(

Sadly having only had these does for two days this person is asking on Facebook if anyone wants them. :cry: :censored:

I've messaged her saying she should contact the rescue they are from, but apparently she has loads of 'animal mad' friends who may want them. I'm not going to lie, I feel more than a bit cross that these bunnies have been let down so badly and I hope they will be returned to the rescue. I'm in half a mind to phone the rescue myself to let them know, but is that out of order?

Sadly having only had these does for two days this person is asking on Facebook if anyone wants them. :cry: :censored:

I've messaged her saying she should contact the rescue they are from, but apparently she has loads of 'animal mad' friends who may want them. I'm not going to lie, I feel more than a bit cross that these bunnies have been let down so badly and I hope they will be returned to the rescue. I'm in half a mind to phone the rescue myself to let them know, but is that out of order?

I, personally, don't think it's out of order. It looks like the information is all over the Internet so it's not like you are breaking a confidence. Even then, the rescue's good faith in homing to her has been broken :cry::cry:

Last edited:
I've met a lot of people like this over time Midori :( It's surprising how many people treat animals like objects for trade and it's the exact reason why rescue centers are overrun. I worked with a couple once who over the three years that I worked alongside them acquired and gave away (these are just the animals they offered to give to me personally over the time so there may have been more :|!!!!) two dogs, three ferrets, a tank of terrapins and two cats :|. It was blatantly obvious that for them it was a case of 'Oh I'm bored of that now, time for something new!' They'd have crappy reasons like 'We don't have time to walk the dog,' only to then get another a week later or 'The cat's scratching our toddler.' A ferret died in their care before they gave the remaining ones away, I can only assume from their crappy attitude towards pets.

It might be worth giving the rescue a ring and letting them know what's happening since she's had the rabbits for such a short amount of time and if she's offering up the rabbits on facebook it doesn't sound like she'll be carefully selecting their new owner. Maybe they'll decide to contact her and request the rabbits back?

I would also be inclined to let the rescue know that the rabbits are up for rehoming again. Hopefully it will prompt them to take them back (or at least help with a suitable rehoming). Maybe it will improve the homecheck / follow up system of the rescue so that this doesn't happen again.

I would also remind your friend that these were rescue bunnies and she owes it to the rescue to let them know what is happening - even if there is no policy to take them back. 2 days is hardly any time to have a pet.

It is so sad for the rabbits. Who knows what will happen to them now? They were given up to a rescue in good faith, presumably - now they are 2 older, un-neutered girls available to anyone on the internet...

I hope your friend doesn't get more rabbits and do the same thing again. Why doesn't she keep one and return the other to the rescue? If she can neuter one, the other would probably end up with a neutered male at the rescue - which is probably better than the current situation.

Back