• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Keeping an ill bun cool

weedug

Mama Doe
Fluff has a massive mass in his chest, and was really struggling with the heat yesterday. I'm doing what I can to keep him cool, but wondered if there were things I have missed. So how do you keep your buns cool?

He is in an aviary during the day, which was built in the shadiest part of the garden (most of the run doesn't see the sun). It's on concrete, but I put in a couple of foam pads and some turf, which is usually very slightly damp. I have ice pods too.

Wetting his ears causes him stress, which makes his breathing worse, so I want to avoid this if possible.

You could soak a towel in cold water and wring it out, then lay it where Fluff normally sits. If my buns are really hot they will sit on it. :wave:

both of the above and frozen water bottles, could you get a garden extension lead and set up a fan in front of the run?

Thanks for the replies. If we have temperatures like yesterday again, I'll be trying them all, all at once!

I tried the wet towel, the ice pod and the fan (haven't got a tile, but he does have concrete in the run).

He was terrified of the fan, so had to take that away. I soaked half the grass, so he can lie on whatever side he wants. I can't think of anything else to do :(

What about a tray with some damp soil in it? Mine like to dig a bit of a hole in the digging pit to sit in when it's hot. Xx

What about a tray with some damp soil in it? Mine like to dig a bit of a hole in the digging pit to sit in when it's hot. Xx

Great idea, thanks :thumb:.

I doubt he would manage to dig a hole himself though, but I'm sure I could do it for him :lol:.

Back