• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help! Milo has the start of sore hocks!

Sarah1991

Warren Veteran
I feel like such an awful bunny mummy!

When checking his bum and feet tonight I noticed a small red bump on the bottom of Milos heel.

I just KNOW its sore hocks because its the same as everything that I've seen before about sore hocks. The bunnies do spend a lot of time running around the living room on the rug and hard floor. But at the minute while the utility it getting done they're only in there for maybe an hour or so during the evening.

Most of the time they are on a thick layer of megazorb!

What do I do!? I'm devastated, what if it gets worse!? :cry:

First off dont panic !!

Can you post a picture of the sore area ?

There, its a small red spot on the heel of his right foot. :cry:

I'm thinking I need to thicken up the megazorb in the cage and put a layer of hay on top so its soft for him? (I've done this now)

What else can I do? :(

Last edited:
That is not really sore hocks. Rabbit's have a thickened callous like area there which is usually well covered with fur. It is likely that the abrasive rug/carpet has worn the fur away. So I would keep her off that if possible. Make sure her nails are kept short too and just keep an eye on both hocks. I would not put any creams etc on them at this stage as that could make things worse by further flattening the protective pad of fur.

That is not really sore hocks. Rabbit's have a thickened callous like area there which is usually well covered with fur. It is likely that the abrasive rug/carpet has worn the fur away. So I would keep her off that if possible. Make sure her nails are kept short too and just keep an eye on both hocks. I would not put any creams etc on them at this stage as that could make things worse by further flattening the protective pad of fur.

Oh OK, I feel a little better now I know that its probably not sore hocks? I had heard that rabbits get a callous on their feet but I thought that this was when they were older? Milo is only 4 months old! I've provided more hay on the bottom of the cage to make it softer to walk on. So I should just keep an eye on it and see how it goes?

Its probably worth asking the vet on Friday when the boys go for their neuter? I was so worried because I know that it can cause a lot of pain. Thank you Jane.

I think you may find that things wont get any worse if you keep him off abrasive surfaces :) It is worth mentioning it to the Vet as he/she can have a good check of Milo's hips and spine to make sure there are no structural problems which may be causing the fur loss over his hock. I think that is very unlikely though.

I think you may find that things wont get any worse if you keep him off abrasive surfaces :) It is worth mentioning it to the Vet as he/she can have a good check of Milo's hips and spine to make sure there are no structural problems which may causing the fur loss over his hock. I think that is very unlikely though.

I'm now wondering what I'm going to put on the bottom of their new enclosure, I was going to get a large rug for them to run around on but if its causing this abrasion then I'm not sure I want to use that?

I'll keep an eye on it and mention it to the vet Friday. It looks like they will have to stay in for a little bit over the next couple of days so I can keep an eye on how its going.

Thank you for the advice. I was freaking out a bit but I feel a little better now. :wave:

I'm now wondering what I'm going to put on the bottom of their new enclosure, I was going to get a large rug for them to run around on but if its causing this abrasion then I'm not sure I want to use that?

I'll keep an eye on it and mention it to the vet Friday. It looks like they will have to stay in for a little bit over the next couple of days so I can keep an eye on how its going.

Thank you for the advice. I was freaking out a bit but I feel a little better now. :wave:
I have a couple of duvets down for Marble :wave: she had sore hocks when I got her, luckily they weren't too bad and have improved so much in the last month! & I have fleece blankets down for Maizie and Daisy and have had no problems so far!
ase5u7a2.jpg

That blanket is on top of a rug as the rug is quite rough & Maizie likes to rip it out :roll: the blankets were from ikea, and are quite big & cheap

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I have a couple of duvets down for Marble :wave: she had sore hocks when I got her, luckily they weren't too bad and have improved so much in the last month! & I have fleece blankets down for Maizie and Daisy and have had no problems so far!
ase5u7a2.jpg

That blanket is on top of a rug as the rug is quite rough & Maizie likes to rip it out :roll: the blankets were from ikea, and are quite big & cheap

I suppose I could have a look and see if I can find a big fleece blanket? will this be enough do you think? I hear the rabbits feet need something to sink into? Will fleece be enough?

I've been looking at vetbed but its obviously expensive for a large piece.

I suppose I could have a look and see if I can find a big fleece blanket? will this be enough do you think? I hear the rabbits feet need something to sink into? Will fleece be enough?

I've been looking at vetbed but its obviously expensive for a large piece.
Mine is on top of the rug so their feet do sink into it. I'll be bringing the duvets in here when I bond Marble though. duvets may be a better idea? I paid £9 each for the double duvets I use, and bought cheap double covers to protect them from being chewed etc.

Mine is on top of the rug so their feet do sink into it. I'll be bringing the duvets in here when I bond Marble though. duvets may be a better idea? I paid £9 each for the double duvets I use, and bought cheap double covers to protect them from being chewed etc.

I'm looking at this? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281353318915?var=580385631981

Does this type of stuff look OK? Its got a rubber underside so it wont slip around and it looks nice a soft!

That looks great..depends how big an area you need to cover though, that's only 1m x 1.5m. I chose duvets because I'm covering entire rooms :lol:

Ah I'm not covering an entire room you see, just the middle of the area where they will be. The enclosure is bigger than that but I don't want it in the areas where litter trays and the shelter are going to be. I think ill give this a go, it looks nice and thick and soft on the bunny feets. :D

Ah I'm not covering an entire room you see, just the middle of the area where they will be. The enclosure is bigger than that but I don't want it in the areas where litter trays and the shelter are going to be. I think ill give this a go, it looks nice and thick and soft on the bunny feets. :D
That will be perfect then :)
mine like to rearrange their toys, litter trays, beds etc so I find it easier to cover the entire floor - they only expose it themselves other wise :lol:

That will be perfect then :)
mine like to rearrange their toys, litter trays, beds etc so I find it easier to cover the entire floor - they only expose it themselves other wise :lol:

I haven't accounted for anything being moved :lol: It'll probably end up happening though. Guess Ill just have to see how it goes and change the plan accordingly, I know bunnies aren't exactly predictable.

I haven't accounted for anything being moved :lol: It'll probably end up happening though. Guess Ill just have to see how it goes and change the plan accordingly, I know bunnies aren't exactly predictable.
They certainly aren't! good luck :D :thumb:

I checked Milo's foot again this morning and it still looks the same. Only thing is I know Jane said it was probably just a callous but why is it so red?

Also I have the most horrible cuts from looking at bunny feets, Milo doesnt particularly like being picked up but does let me for a second until he wiggles and gets free. Finn on the other hand runs away as soon as you put your hand under him, if you do manage to get a hand under his bum and pick him up he wriggles like a worm to get away, its so hard to keep these bunnies right when they hate being picked up so much. :(

Just wondering if this was to get any worse or any more red and angry could I use something like sudocrem to calm it down? I mean it would only be the tiniest bit that I would apply?

Or is this not something that is advised? Just thinking in case anything did get any worse. I would be straight off to the vets if I noticed anything mind..

Back