• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Does cancer have a smell? (Might be a bit upsetting)

Fifibutton

Wise Old Thumper
As per title, does anyone think or know if cancer has a smell which can attract flies or other animals?

A couple of weeks ago I found unhatched fly eggs on my rabbit's tail. In 12 years of having rabbits that had never happened before. That particular rabbit had always had a messy bum for about 9 years and never once during the hotter summers had there been an issue. We took anti fly measures to protect all the bunnies but I have been wondering recently why the fly was attracted to him and I am not convinced it was merely the smell of poo. The bunny was cleaned, all eggs removed, dosed with petroleum and reargaurd reapplied and then he was moved in doors. No flies hatched and flystrike was thankfully averted.

But just a few days later that same bunny was diagnosed with several tumours around his tummy and we had to have him pts. As such I have wondered if he was already dying (slowly) as the tumours were not small (but not huge either) and there were many of them. And when animals die or are dying there is a smell that even I can smell. But I would not be surprised if there was a smell associated with cancer than we humans cannot discern.

I am sure I have read about cases where cats and dogs have been able to sense (presumably through smell) the presence and location of a tumour in their owner.

I supposed I am trying to make sense of it all in hindsight but I wondered what anyone else's thoughts were.

I don't know the answer, but Smoo also had a fly lay eggs on her. Again I caught it in time, cleaned them off and none hatched. But she also had tumours. The flies didn't go for Grim who had a long term mucky bum.

I think flies pick up on ill rabbits.

We had a pair of rabbits, one had lung cancer and a mucky bottom. The flies never touched him but laid eggs on his "healthy" partner twice despite her being spotless. We got her checked out and we found she had kidney stones and a damaged spine. We had no idea! They had only been with us a couple of weeks and hadn't come from a good place, she actually died shortly afterwards :(

Some types of cancer do have a 'smell'. Very close to where we live is the charity 'Medical Detection Dogs' who train dogs to sniff out all sorts of illnesses such as cancers, as well as those who detect fits etc. I'm so sorry you lost your bunny :(. Sweet dreams little one.

I had flystrike some years ago on a little Dutch bunny. She was ill at the time, with one bulging eye and breathing problems.

I don't know if it was cancer, as the vet wasn't too good then (many years ago) :(. She survived the flystrike, but had to be pts because of the breathing.

It's hard to tell I suppose if it is the cancer the flies could smell, or if buns give off some sort of scent because they are near the end.

In humans there can be a 'smell' due to the body closing down.. i daresay flies tend to gravitate towards decomposition therefore perhaps bunnies 'smell' can be the same...

Fee x

Thanks for your opinions everyone. Although it is not a nice subject, I feel that is supports or helps to confirm my decision in having that particular bunny put to sleep. With the tumors he could have survived a few months more with some medication and extra care but because his partner was dying I let them both go together. And I have felt so guilty ever since, because for once I decided not to fight and try the different treatments. Also because it was a very hasty decision. But now I realise it was probably best after all. They boys had been outdoor buns all their lives but the flies would probably have started on Nori again and maybe even on Merri too had they stayed outdoors. And that was just another issue they did not need to deal with.

Thanks for your opinions everyone. Although it is not a nice subject, I feel that is supports or helps to confirm my decision in having that particular bunny put to sleep. With the tumors he could have survived a few months more with some medication and extra care but because his partner was dying I let them both go together. And I have felt so guilty ever since, because for once I decided not to fight and try the different treatments. Also because it was a very hasty decision. But now I realise it was probably best after all. They boys had been outdoor buns all their lives but the flies would probably have started on Nori again and maybe even on Merri too had they stayed outdoors. And that was just another issue they did not need to deal with.

You really did the right thing :love: Such a selfless thing to do as I can't imagine how hard it must have been for you x

Cutie-pie was living outside and I only found out last week she was full of tumours. I didn't notice a smell and although there are flies everywhere I didn't see any around or near her. You would never have known she had tumours though, she was acting normally. Hers were around the liver, intestines and under her rib.:( I don't know if there is a certain type that can be sensed.

I am certain that most creatures on earth (even things like insects) have a sense that directs them to another being that is in severely compromised health despite how it may appear outwardly. That being said it always distresses me when one of our pets begins to pay "unusual attention" to a family member. It almost always precedes an episode of sickness of varying degrees or at the least, mental/emotional strain and overload.
You absolutely did the right thing by your bunnies and I know it probably doesn't help much to know that at the moment because you are grieving and nothing seems right. It's extremely kind that you let them go together because one or the other would've at the very least been laden with grief at the loss of his partner. And it sounds like the decision would have to have been repeated soon.

I've never had to let more than one animal go at a time and I know it had to be a terrible choice. I am so very sorry that this happened to you and your bunnies. ((((((((((Huge hugs)))))))))) xxxxxxxx

I don't think you have anything to feel guilt about. Having had a rabbit who lost their long term partner in old age, I don't think he was ever the same after and that your bunnies had each other at the end was totally the right choice for both of them.

As for the flys, I think they probably can smell something we can't but whether it can be used as a predictor remains to be seen.

Sorry for your loss xx

As per title, does anyone think or know if cancer has a smell which can attract flies or other animals?

A couple of weeks ago I found unhatched fly eggs on my rabbit's tail. In 12 years of having rabbits that had never happened before. That particular rabbit had always had a messy bum for about 9 years and never once during the hotter summers had there been an issue. We took anti fly measures to protect all the bunnies but I have been wondering recently why the fly was attracted to him and I am not convinced it was merely the smell of poo. The bunny was cleaned, all eggs removed, dosed with petroleum and reargaurd reapplied and then he was moved in doors. No flies hatched and flystrike was thankfully averted.

But just a few days later that same bunny was diagnosed with several tumours around his tummy and we had to have him pts. As such I have wondered if he was already dying (slowly) as the tumours were not small (but not huge either) and there were many of them. And when animals die or are dying there is a smell that even I can smell. But I would not be surprised if there was a smell associated with cancer than we humans cannot discern.

I am sure I have read about cases where cats and dogs have been able to sense (presumably through smell) the presence and location of a tumour in their owner.

I supposed I am trying to make sense of it all in hindsight but I wondered what anyone else's thoughts were.

Yes, I can smell when humans or animals are dying. Therefore it's quite logical to me (and has been proven) that dogs and cats can smell cancer.

Back