• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mink a Threat to Rabbits?

We have 24 house rabbits who also make use of the garden primarily in runs through the day in better weather. Today very close to where we live, my husband saw a mink. He is pretty clued up on identifying different species so I have no reason to doubt him.

How much of a threat are mink to rabbits? :shock:

As far as I know American mink are primarily aquatic predators e.g. fish and frogs, but will also happily go into water vole burrows and decimate the population... To be honest a lot of animals in that vein are best avoided - stoat being the obvious one, but also ferret and polecat.

There is always a risk of predators, regardless of what animals people see or don't see - I think the sensible thing is just to make sure the runs are secure (fox-proof) and have strong 1x0.5 inch mesh to stop smaller creatures getting in :)

(ETA: For interest - American mink are an established non-native escapee from fur farms, and a massive problem for water vole conservation in the UK)

Last edited:
Mink are definitely a threat. The best thing to do is make sure all your accommodation is as predator proof as possible - i.e. nice strong construction; thick, small well mesh (possibly double lined); and no small gaps. Mink don't have much jaw strength but can sneak into tiny gaps so best to have a look around your accommodation and look for any tiny gaps.

EDIT: When I say mink don't have strong jaws I mean when compared to a large animal such as bulldog/rottweiler type dogs with large, strong mouths with massive crush pressure. With a predator like that you'd not be able to predator-proof very well due to their size. Mink jaws are strong just not big, which is why I'd be more concerned about gaps which they might get into rather them biting through thick wood to get to the bunnies. That'll teach me to type while half asleep! The European mink (which I assume it'll be, since you're in Wales) is also smaller than the American mink with less powerful jaws. It'd be unlikely for a mink to bother your bunnies but it would be wise to ensure they're protected from them since you've seen them around.

Last edited:
American mink have very, very strong jaws so I'd use strong mesh to ensure they can't bite through it. They can crush a rabbit's skull easily, that's how strong they are. From what I've heard they often crush their preys skull when killing them. They're also extremely smart so if they want in a rabbit run and it's not adequately mink proof then they'll get in.

I would double mesh the run as Yaretzi suggests, with weldmesh , to make sure they can't claw at the bunnies through the mesh, and also ensure that it can't dig in, so weldmesh under turf under the run, or put slabs down covering the floor of the run, and have the run well fastened down. (If you haven't already done this :thumb:)

Yes mink are a threat to rabbits.
Good advice from others make shore there are no small gaps that it can squeeze through.

mink will kill chickens and large ducks so i see no reason why rabbits would be off the menu. be very careful.

Very very very good point.

Ha, I don't know how to post photos!!! :oops: Yes 24. We have a family of 8 (mother was already pregnant when we rescued her from a rescue) a couple of trios, a free ranging Rhinelander (inside / supervised only outside) and a few pairs (two brothers but mainly boy / girl buns). We also have a single three legged bun called Zebedee, he's a baby as yet unneutered. All others are neutered / speyed and of course vaccinated. We love them all, never have any money and I'm always covered in fur and hay! We also have a dog, 7 cats and a hamster. They are all an absolute pleasure to live with and we are lucky to have them.

Ha, I don't know how to post photos!!! :oops: Yes 24. We have a family of 8 (mother was already pregnant when we rescued her from a rescue) a couple of trios, a free ranging Rhinelander (inside / supervised only outside) and a few pairs (two brothers but mainly boy / girl buns). We also have a single three legged bun called Zebedee, he's a baby as yet unneutered. All others are neutered / speyed and of course vaccinated. We love them all, never have any money and I'm always covered in fur and hay! We also have a dog, 7 cats and a hamster. They are all an absolute pleasure to live with and we are lucky to have them.

Here you go
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?136183-Tutorial-How-to-Post-Photos
It would be great to see some pictures of the furry family :love:

Back