• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What to do - injured baby bunny. UD RIP little bunny :(

esupi

Warren Veteran
Just had a call from a friend who has found a baby domesticated rabbit at the side of the road with a broken leg - looks like it's been hit by a car.
She's got in a box for now in the dark/quiet and is ringing her local vets.

Any advice/ideas what to do next?

eta should have said it's a hind leg fracture. I don't know what the prognosis is for those (assuming it survives the shock).

Last edited:
No advice beyond what your friend has already done.

Poor bubba :cry: If the bunny is very young I won't rate his/her chances though :cry:

Sending miracle vibes.

ETA:
eta should have said it's a hind leg fracture. I don't know what the prognosis is for those (assuming it survives the shock).

With older bunnies they can cope quite well with amputation of hind leg (I think hind leg is better prognosis than fore leg but not 100% sure on that). I doubt there's many vets who would go to the trouble of mending the leg and if they do it would be very expensive - amputation being much cheaper.

Last edited:
Just had a call from a friend who has found a baby domesticated rabbit at the side of the road with a broken leg - looks like it's been hit by a car.
She's got in a box for now in the dark/quiet and is ringing her local vets.

Any advice/ideas what to do next?

vets - hind leg fractures can either be pinned or hind leg removed. They do amazingly well with hind leg removals.

Hopefully the vet will take it in and treat as necessary. Then try to find out where it came from.

Poor little mite, hope it will be OK :love:

Yes, pinning is an option but it's more expensive, and can be difficult eg if the bun is a chewer, and it's more expensive. Rabbit's cope fine on three legs. If will really need a vet to work out the best option. They may dose it up with painkillers and splint it in a very young bunny and see how it heals.

Back