• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Best/cheapest fibre suppliments

Jenova

Wise Old Thumper
Grim's breathing is really starting to clear up, but his stomach is starting to make some awful noises and he looks a little bloated. This will be due to the new antibiotics (given by injection) and I have spoken to the vet. We have decided to try him on some fibre supplements to see if that helps before stopping the antibiotics. He hasn't got any teeth to eat hay, so his diet consists of Excel Junior and Dwarf pellets (I use these rather than the adult ones as they have probiotics in them) soaked in water with the odd bit of oats, bread or chinchilla pellets soaked in water as a treat.

I need to get a lot of fibre into him daily ideally. I've bought some Bio-Lapis which comes as a sachet which I can add to his pellets. But I wondered what other people do, or would do in this situation.

What are the best fibre supplements and where are the cheapest places to buy them?

Thanks. :wave:

p.s. Would another rabbit food like Science Selective be better, if that's pretty much all he eats?

Would he be able to eat Fibafirst if you crushed the sticks up ?

http://www.supremepetfoods.com/fiba-first-2/

I expect you have already tried him with Pro-Fibre Pellets ?

http://www.animeddirect.co.uk/protexin-profibre-for-rabbits-800g.html

Fibafirst he can't eat, it doesn't soak up the watre like the extruded pellets do. He's had Pro-Fibre pellets before, would oyu say they were better than the Bio-Lapis?

Not sure how this'd do as a long term supplement but we've used this stuff in the past.

http://www.viovet.co.uk/Protexin_Fibreplex_for_Rabbits_Small_Rodents/c2233/

For some reason he will not eat Fibreplex. Any way I try and get it into him, even on bread. It just used to stress him out so much we gave up on that. :(

I feel like every other post I make is about critical care/recovery food, but is that worth a go? Obviously it's designed that bunnies can live off it, so it has adequate amounts of fibre. I mix it with ella's kitchen baby food but you'll know better than me whether that's okay for Grim. I just tried making it up with water and it came out really well, obviously you can easily make it with more water to be a bit less chunky:

I've got absolutely loads of the course critical care. It smells a lot like aniseed which I hate, but Nena seems to love so Grim might be happy to eat it off a spoon too? I'm going to the post office tomorrow afternoon if you want me to send you some to try, instead of committing to £10-15 with postage. I'd be happy to give you some if it might help. It's been a god send for me to keep Nena's fibre levels up and giving her a bit extra food to keep her weight up. Just a tiny bit makes a real difference to her fibre intake, fingers crossed it may help Grim too :D

I feel like every other post I make is about critical care/recovery food, but is that worth a go? Obviously it's designed that bunnies can live off it, so it has adequate amounts of fibre. I mix it with ella's kitchen baby food but you'll know better than me whether that's okay for Grim. I just tried making it up with water and it came out really well, obviously you can easily make it with more water to be a bit less chunky:

I've got absolutely loads of the course critical care. It smells a lot like aniseed which I hate, but Nena seems to love so Grim might be happy to eat it off a spoon too? I'm going to the post office tomorrow afternoon if you want me to send you some to try, instead of committing to £10-15 with postage. I'd be happy to give you some if it might help. It's been a god send for me to keep Nena's fibre levels up and giving her a bit extra food to keep her weight up. Just a tiny bit makes a real difference to her fibre intake, fingers crossed it may help Grim too :D

Oh, wow! Thank you. I would really appreciate that. Grim has a tendency to randomly decide something isn't food. :? So it's really annoying to have to pay out so much for something he may or may not eat. I bought a small pack of the Bio-Lapis but it looks like he doesn't want to eat the food with it in. :roll: Luckily I didn't buy the £30 box!

I would really appreciate that and would happily give you the money for it and the postage. Should I PM you my address? :wave:

Oh, wow! Thank you. I would really appreciate that. Grim has a tendency to randomly decide something isn't food. :? So it's really annoying to have to pay out so much for something he may or may not eat. I bought a small pack of the Bio-Lapis but it looks like he doesn't want to eat the food with it in. :roll: Luckily I didn't buy the £30 box!

I would really appreciate that and would happily give you the money for it and the postage. Should I PM you my address? :wave:

Yeah give me a PM with your address :D No need to worry about payment, it'll only be cheap :) Fingers crossed Grim will decide this is food!

Yeah give me a PM with your address :D No need to worry about payment, it'll only be cheap :) Fingers crossed Grim will decide this is food!

Thank you! I've PMed you. Hopefully His Royal Highness King Grimlock will decide it's worthy of his ingestion. :lol:

Thank you! I've PMed you. Hopefully His Royal Highness King Grimlock will decide it's worthy of his ingestion. :lol:

Hopefully he finds it tasty :D Do you want me to send over some science selective pellets as well, just to see if he fancies them? Not sure if you've ever tried him on them or whether they'd be useful, but I've got about 15kg over here so I'll happily send a couple of handfuls over if you fancy it. I think the fibre content is about the same in excel and SS but something different might tempt him a bit :D

Hopefully he finds it tasty :D Do you want me to send over some science selective pellets as well, just to see if he fancies them? Not sure if you've ever tried him on them or whether they'd be useful, but I've got about 15kg over here so I'll happily send a couple of handfuls over if you fancy it. I think the fibre content is about the same in excel and SS but something different might tempt him a bit :D

Thank you but he has had Science Selective before, I just switched him to Excel because the pellets were smaller. :)

Woo! Received today and went down a treat! :D Thank you. I made it with porridge oats and water and he's been eating it off my fingers. :D

Back