• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Molly's ears - vibes needed

BeatrixPotter

Mama Doe
Molly has an abscess at the base of her ear and an infection in the same ear.:cry: She is off to the vets in the morning to have the abscess opened up and the ear cleaned.

Molly and Basil had a huge fight overnight on Friday which resulted in Basil tearing Molly's other ear :cry:. I'm sure the storm set them off. They have gone back to Helen's to try rebonding them but early indications are not great.:cry:

I still have my fingers crossed for the bond to work but I am worried that I have done the wrong thing. She was perfectly happy by herself and now I have put her through all this stress. Also I really, really miss her. :cry:

I really need a hug and a big cry. Stupid medication that I take stops me from crying, usually a good thing but right now I would like the release that comes from a good cry.

Can anyone spare some vibes for Molly's poor sore ears and for the bonding too?

Oh no, I am sorry to hear this :cry:

In my experience bonding when a Rabbit has an 'active' ear infection seldom works. The other Rabbit seems to pick up on something being amiss (maybe they can smell the infection :?) and this can lead to the other Rabbit licking and fussing around the infected ear. All fine unless it starts to hurt and the Rabbit with the sore ear understandably reacts. Then friction can set in. I have found that it is not such an issue if the pair have a long-standing bond (years as opposed to weeks/months). But I have had issues with ear infections and new bonds on more than one occasion.

Even if things dont go well at the moment it may be possible to try again when Molly's infection has resolved.

Lots of vibes being sent for all of you, I can imagine that you are stressed and upset xx

Oh no :cry: sending lots of vibes for her, and hugs for you. Hope the bond works out alright in the end xx

I'm sure Becky will be on to update you all later, but just to say that Molly and Basil have gone to the vets together. Been back with each other since the weekend and we've had more happy flops, grooming and eating together. Basil is certainly more nervous of Molly but not to the extent where we are too worried.

Becky and I watched them this morning before going to the vets and agreed that it would be more beneficial to Molly to have Basil with her than to split them. So we've taken a chance on them being good company for each other and that it will actually help them find comfort with a friend.

The vets are very good and do all my rescue and personal bunny work so they know what to watch for in terms of bunnies not happy and they know to call me immediately if I need to go and get Basil if any naughty bonding behaviour starts. They are 5 minutes away so Becky and I thought it was probably the best way to continue with their relationship and also help Molly with her recovery.

Sending all my positive energy up the road for them (and one of my own bunnies who is there too today).

Molly has an abscess at the base of her ear and an infection in the same ear.:cry: She is off to the vets in the morning to have the abscess opened up and the ear cleaned.

Molly and Basil had a huge fight overnight on Friday which resulted in Basil tearing Molly's other ear :cry:. I'm sure the storm set them off. They have gone back to Helen's to try rebonding them but early indications are not great.:cry:

I still have my fingers crossed for the bond to work but I am worried that I have done the wrong thing. She was perfectly happy by herself and now I have put her through all this stress. Also I really, really miss her. :cry:

I really need a hug and a big cry. Stupid medication that I take stops me from crying, usually a good thing but right now I would like the release that comes from a good cry.

Can anyone spare some vibes for Molly's poor sore ears and for the bonding too?

Really hope it goes well at the vets today for both of them :D

We made the decision to bond Taz two days after he was diagnosed with and ear infection/abscess. We decided that friends would give him something to fight for and help with his recovery :love: I think it very much depends on the bunnies involved whether bonding at this time is right or not. I think everyone involved here is experienced enough and knows the rabbits well enough to know whether this is the right thing to do so try not to worry.

We have had two new bonds break down in the past due to thunderstorms, it is incredibly frustrating but I guess there is nothing we can do to change the weather :(

Vets have phoned. Molly came through the op well. All of the abscess has been removed and she and Basil behaved beautifully. Picking them up at 5.45 to take them back to Helen's. :D

Vets have phoned. Molly came through the op well. All of the abscess has been removed and she and Basil behaved beautifully. Picking them up at 5.45 to take them back to Helen's. :D

Great news :thumb:

Loads of vibes for Molly's continued recovery - and lots of vibes too for a continuing bond:love:

Glad the op went well, hope the bond with Molly & Basil works out. Sending lots of healing & bonding vibes xx

Back