• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Update on Rolo - now with picture x

Roly Poly

Warren Veteran
Hello all,

I haven't been around much lately as I've had a really worrying time with my Rolo.

He had to have a dental and I'm always really worried about the GA - anyway dental went fine, a couple of small spurs but nothing too alarming and no cuts or anything in his mouth.

So I picked him up the same evening and as after previous dentals, he was extremely drowsy but I didn't worry too much. We syringe fed him and I stayed up with him all night to make sure he was ok.

Well, fast forward a few days and he was still not eating on his own - I was back at the vets every day for four days after the dental - vet could find nothing wrong with him. He was having regular metacam and metaclopromide. He was eating little bits of fresh and dried dandelion and a bit of plantain, but no hay or pellets or fruit or veg. Syringe feeding was really stressing him - I was so worried about him.

It took him a full week before he was eating on his own and even then, not as much as normal.

He now seems fine but it was so worrying, vet was pretty baffled as she couldn't find anything wrong with him - temperature fine, heart ok, no sores in his mouth and still as feisty as ever with the vet!

I'm just so relieved that my baby's ok now but the thought of another dental terrifies me.

Has anyone had this with their buns?

Last edited:
Poor little Rolo and poor you! Glad to hear that he is on the mend now.

My dental bun has never reacted that way so I cant help but didn't want to not respond.

I hope someone can advise you soon x

I'm so glad he's ok now, must have been so worrying for you. My dental bun always bounced back ok so I can't help, hopefully it was an isolated incident and he won't repeat it next time :thumb:

My only thought is his age, how old is he?
I've noticed that even with a general visit now that Mimzy is getting a lot more tired and uninterested in his normal routine after being at the vet. He does do really well with dentals considering his age and head tilt. But I am a bit worried about the next one. :(
Maybe he is sensitive to the type of anesthesia used? It might take longer than most bunnies to clear his system?
Glad to see you (and Rolo) back at the forum. :) xxxx

My only thought is his age, how old is he?
I've noticed that even with a general visit now that Mimzy is getting a lot more tired and uninterested in his normal routine after being at the vet. He does do really well with dentals considering his age and head tilt. But I am a bit worried about the next one. :(
Maybe he is sensitive to the type of anesthesia used? It might take longer than most bunnies to clear his system?
Glad to see you (and Rolo) back at the forum. :) xxxx

Thank you :), Rolo's five now so he's not a spring chicken any more but I don't think he's quite an OAP yet either!

I am really hoping that this was a one off as I know he will need to have more dentals in the future - we managed six months since the last one so hoping for the same again xx

Ah, yeah, Mimzy is about 7 or 8 (at the most). He also really needs a good dental every three months, but he can go as long as six. (something we sometimes have to do overwinter here)

You know...if you both have time and are feeling up to it, respectively, it would be nice to see a photo or two. ;) xxxx

My dental rabbit has only had one g/a since I got him so cant help. He has just stopped eating again today though. (Vets later).

I am so glad that Rolo is back to his usual self now. Good to see you back as well. :wave:

Ah, yeah, Mimzy is about 7 or 8 (at the most). He also really needs a good dental every three months, but he can go as long as six. (something we sometimes have to do overwinter here)

You know...if you both have time and are feeling up to it, respectively, it would be nice to see a photo or two. ;) xxxx

A picture of my little guy as requested :)

My dental bun has her teeth seen to every 6 weeks and sometimes it takes her a week to recover and start eating normally. Sometimes she can be fine within 24 hours.

Both are "normal" for my bun and she's just turned 2 and had 6 dentals! X

One of my dental buns reacts a bit like this. He is ever so slow to eat after he's had his teeth done. I kind of understand that his mouth is still feeling a bit 'traumatised' by the work he's had done so I don't worry too much.

If I had had my teeth ground down, even though my heart and temperature etc etc were normal, I don't think I'd feel like munching away very soon :shock:

I do give him quite a lot of arnica beforehand and afterwards, which I think really helps recovery :wave:

ps. Lovely looking guy by the way :love:

Back