• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Best way to house rabbits?

AmyKennedy

Young Bun
Hey guys! This is my first time posting on this forum, so sorry if i do something wrong, and it looks like an awesome place hehe.
So anyway, I currently don't have any rabbits, but am looking into rescuing a pair or possibly fostering with a local shelter. I've been looking at hutches but for a good sized one it can get very very expensive, and they kinda look like a pain to put in toys, clean out, and get to the rabbits. xx
So my main question is what is the best alternative way to keep them? I said before that large hutches are very expensive, but money isn't really an issue, i have a few hundred pounds for the "start up costs" of getting rabbits.
Also, I have a "summerhouse" in my garden, its kinda just like a big shed i guess XD Its inside smallest dimensions are 7'6" by 9'7". It is waterproof, and has electricity and light inside, but isnt very warm (although i do have a plug in radiator i use when in there). I would quite like to build some sort of large pen inside of it, as part of it has my desk, and thats where i study and stuff, but if i need to i guess i could do something else. Also it has two pretty large openable windows. The main three problems i see with keeping rabbits in here is that it isnt normally much warmer than outside, but i dont think thats a huge problem (?), the floor is just like plain wooden planks, and the whole front side of the summerhouse is glass panels. I dont know the exact word for them, but they are like a wall of 4 seperate panels, made of glass and wood, like in a grid shape? Two of them are the double doors which open outwards. Sorry for all the detail about it, i just dont really know whats relevant and what isnt XD
It's built on a patio bit at the back of my garden, but there is steps up to it, so if they needed a run on the grass it couldnt be connected, and a run on the patio (connected) could be maximum of about 10ft by 3ft (this is a guess, i havent measured it).
If this isnt useable, whats my next best option? Should i buy some sort of shed, or like a wooden playhouse type thing and rabbit proof it? Do i need to connect a run to whatever enclosure they have? Does a run need to be on the grass? Do i need to just get a hutch? My mum wont let me keep them indoors in the actual house so that isnt an option.
Also if i do build a pen or something in the summerhouse, how do i go about it? what should i do about the flooring because im pretty sure they cant be on wood because it might rot or something if it gets wet? and i cant clean it properly?
Thankyou to anyone who answers, and sorry again if any of the questions are stupid, but i've never owned rabbits before. :D

*Sorry i forgot to originally mention, i feel they would also be better in the summerhouse than a hutch because i have a dog and hopefully will soon be getting cats, and we have a dogflap, so they can go in the garden at night time, or whenever and i dont know how they would react to rabbits. *

Last edited:
ok :lol:.. to start you off check out the sticky for ideas : http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?311878-Outdoor-Housing sheds or playhouses are best for houses bunnies in terms of price space and access
the summer house sounds like a bit of a faff to me but obviously it is up to you. by the sounds of things you would have to insulate it ect. they should have a large run connected to their inside enclosure at least 8x4 ft (or equivalent square footage) but whether it is on grass or not it doesn't matter in fact having their permanent run on concrete is safer in terms of digging out/in. you could connect a run to the summer house which they have permanent access to during the day and then maybe have a small moveable run on the grass attached with a run around pipe (google image search if you are not sure what they are)that you can let them out in when you are about (so you can be on the look out for foxes). as said above it is not a must but it is nice for them to have access to fresh grass

hope this helps and welcome to the forum :wave:

Thankyou for your reply! just out of curiosity, if it had "bedrooms" similar to a hutch, why would it have to be insulated? Sorry i'm just a little bit confused because hutches aren't insulated and are left outside, i think? also i use it as a normal room when the radiator is on, if that makes a difference? x i looked in the thread you posted already, and think maybe a shed will be better/less work...
the reason i posted about bulding some form of pen in the summer house is because i did work experience at a rabbit/guinea pig boarding place, and the lady there had a similar building-thing outside but bigger, and had pens which were literally like 4 wooden walls, around 6' x 3' x 3'6" (l x w x h) i would guess, with a mesh lid, that could be lifted up, on a hinge, and a little gate on the front. but if a shed is better then i could do that. xx
I thin your suggestion about the runs would be best, one permanent one on concrete and another on the grass. xx

Welcome to the forum!

The summerhouse sounds like a fantastic size space, but the problem is not that it might be warm enough but that it might be too warm. Bunnies cope very well with cold temperatures as they grow a very effective winter coat, but bunnies can't sweat. Healthy adult bunnies with a partner and somewhere to hide from the wind will be totally fine in the cold weather that we have in England (and there are microwave snugglesafes which you can use to give them a source of heat), but the summer is the real problem. It's much harder to cool a shed down than warm it up. Summerhouses with big windows can act as a big greenhouse and trap all the heat. You definitely could use a summerhouse though with a few additions - personally I'd cover the whole floor with lino flooring (wood effect goes very well and it barely noticeable), but more importantly for the summer I'd also want to build an additional mesh inner door that could be firmly closed. This, along with the opened windows (which you'd need to mesh over on the inside for safety from predators and from escapees!) would provide good air flow. If you have electricity you can also add electric fans out of their reach which are quite effective too if placed near a wet towel. The summerhouse idea could work really well, but you'd need to mesh every opening window and build/install that additional mesh door. As long as there's airflow it and you keep aware of the temperature it should work really well. Alternatively you could create a secure enclosure inside the summerhouse - i.e. with all 4 sides either built out of proper secure run/aviary panels or securely attached to the wall and it'd also need a lid and bolts to secure it etc. You could then do away with the additional mesh door and just leave the doors and windows open when it's warm. You could either make one like you mentioned in your last post with a lid, or a ceiling height enclosure might be nice as you can then have shelves inside to store stuff etc. Then you could attach a run to the side, or attach with a runaround tube etc. All enclosure building needs to be made with thick, good quality timber and with mesh which is 19g or thicker and 1 x 1/2inch or smaller.

Bunnies don't necessarily need access to grass. They do generally love grazing on the grass but it also comes with its own safety concerns of digging out or something else digging in. A good option is either a run placed on grass where the turf has been lifted and weld mesh has been laid underneath, or alternatively a run on concrete with additional access to a grass run when you're around to supervise them from digging in or out. Many people have bunnies permanently on concrete/patio but let them out for an hour or so supervised free ranging in the garden once a day or once every 2 days. This gives them access to grass and also time to properly stretch their legs. You'd have to temporarily shut your dogs in for this though. Another good option is to grow big flat pots of grass and give them to them to nibble, or to grow grass and cut it yourself and give it.

With a hutch of 6 x 2 x 2 or bigger, a run of 10 x 3 would be a great size and you may find this is the best option. They'd be able to get a good speed up in 10ft. It's also nice and easy to clean runs out on concrete! The run would need to be 2ft tall or taller. An aviary may be a potential option depending on your funds - they allow you to get inside with them which may be much easier if you have dogs... you can still spend time with bunnies without shutting the dogs in so often. If you had an aviary you could also put the hutch inside this, which may be easier or cheaper than attaching various bits together. Alternatively again you could have the permanent hutch/run on concrete but then have a second run which you only allow access to with supervision.

Runaround do an excellent attachment system to allow you to connect various bits together, and many people find it excellent for attaching a hutch on one level on the garden to a run on another. You can have really long tubes and bunnies can go up very sharp inclines in them so it works very well: http://www.runaround.co.uk/collections/connections/products/connection-kit-4

I'm sure you're already aware that the minimum requirements are 6 x 2 x 2 hutch and an 8 x 4 x 2 run, but basically the biggest the better. There's a lot of people on here who've had to adapt or work with quite annoying space or money restraints, so whatever the potential problem we can probably find a way to work around it!

And just a few quick answers to questions which I don't think I've answered:

Should i buy some sort of shed, or like a wooden playhouse type thing and rabbit proof it?
Sheds are fantastic as they're a great height which means you can get in with them. Hutches are fine too, as are playhouses. It really depends on your preferences. You could also get an aviary with a playhouse or hutch inside it, and put clear roofing panels on top which creates a nice sheltered area for you to spend time with them in.

Do i need to connect a run to whatever enclosure they have?
Unless the space is 8 x 4 or bigger, they need a permanently attached run of that size. Bunnies are crepuscular which means they're most active in the early morning and the evening which is often when we don't have time to let them out, so it's important that they have the space to run in permanently.

Do i need to just get a hutch?
It really depends on your setup, but they do need somewhere sheltered which is at least 6 x 2 x 2. If you have a shed or they have part of the summerhouse, you don't need hutch inside that. Some people like to give them but it's not necessary as long as they have somewhere sheltered.

Also if i do build a pen or something in the summerhouse, how do i go about it?
I mentioned this above but I'd build or buy aviary/run panels and attach them together or to the walls inside the summerhouse. Full ceiling height would mean you can get in with them and you can just have a door, or you can have one with a secure lid and just flap it up to get in/out. Any enclosure needs to be at least 2ft high for average sized bunnies but 3ft or taller gives them more space, and gives you more options of furniture etc for them.

what should i do about the flooring because im pretty sure they cant be on wood because it might rot or something if it gets wet? and i cant clean it properly?
Many people lay lino on the floor of the hutch/shed/etc. I personally have wood effect lino and so it really just blends in, and it means everything is wipe clean. I've just laid mine on the floor then attached skirting board around the sides, then sealed it with bathroom sealant to prevent water/wee getting down the edges. Skirting board isn't necessary though, but I'd recommend the silicone sealant. Wet wood is so hard to clean, especially when it's constantly in use. Imo it's better to just lay the lino and then you never have to worry about trying to get the floor dry and it never rots through etc. Most lino is non-slip with the rough texture and most bunnies should have no problems with this. If your bunny does slip around you can add carpet or vet bed or rugs.

If you have the time you could take some pics of your summerhouse/patio/available space. We could advise on what we think might be the best/easiest/most practical/cheapest to put into practice! I personally love planning other peoples setups!

The best place to find aviaries or aviary panels tends to be eBay if you want to price them up. Sellers will almost always be happy to create certain sizes for you to fit perfectly, or sell you a certain amount of panels to make it yourself.

Happyhutch do some great priced hutches... a 6 x 2 x 2 is £110: http://www.happyhutch.co.uk/single-storey-rabbit-hutches/flat-roof-rabbit-hutches-detail. They also do 2.5ft high rabbit runs and although they don't have a 10 x 3 ft one I'm sure they'd do one for you: http://www.happyhutch.co.uk/our-rabbit-runs/rabbit-runs-all-wire-detail

Personally I'd be pretty tempted to try and make an enclosure inside the summerhouse. The electricity will come in very handy for fans and heaters, and the lights will be a god send in the winter during the dark nights or if your bunny is ill and needs checking up on during the night. Cleaning out and spending time with the bunnies is much easier and nicer in a full height shed (with heating!) which is nicely protected from the elements. As long as you could cut a hole to attach a runaround tube or catflap to get to a run, it'd be great. If there's no area adjacent to the shed to put an aviary or run, the runaround tubes come in very handy and providing it's not 50ft down to an area where you could put a run it'd fit well. Aviary panels work out very cheap to section off an area, for instance you can get 6 x 3 ft ones for £10 each near me: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aviary-Pa...?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Birds&hash=item43c9e089ba so it shouldn't be too much more than £50-60 to make a great sized, secure enclosure. They'll usually be happy to make door panels for you too so all you have to do is attach it all together, cut the hole for the runaround/cat flap, and then figure out where to put the run!

:shock: Sorry for the massive reply!

Last edited:
Temperature wise, it should be fine in winter. I'd add a sheltered box for an extra snug area but they probably won't use it for that reason. They do like somewhere enclosed to hide/rest though.

The only issue would be if it gets very hot in summer because of the glass - it depends how well shaded it is. In summer, another option is to fit a second set of doors fitted inside the glass ones but this time made of mesh. That way you can open the glass to keep it cool but still contain the bunnies.

If you can bunny proof it (protect wires etc.) you can leave them free range and treat it like you would a spare room in the house. You might want to start with a play pen initially so they can work on toilet training (pop some lino of similar underneath for easy cleaning) and then work up to them having the full space.

They'd generally enjoy some outdoor time, but it's already quite a big space. One option would be to connect a play pen over the summerhouse doors when you are there to supervise and just let them out in that. They'd need to be supervised though. The other option would be a cat flap to a secure run.

Thankyou so so much for taking the time to write such a long reply! After reading everything you have posted, i *think* i have decided what would be best (whether i actually end up doing it this way is another story xD ) I think i will lino the whole floor, but build a 7ft x 4 ft (l x w) pen type thing inside. The aviary panels look great, but i forgot to mention that the ceiling is slanted, with the smallest end being about 5'7" so they wouldnt fit... with this in mind, i'm not sure a ceiling height pen would be possible. so i would probably have to make a lid for it. depending on how i do it, i think i'm going to use 2 of the walls of the shed, and just attach the other two to it, one with a door. I will mesh the window that is "in" the pen bit. Then when i am in the summerhouse, which will be quite a lot, i can just open the door to the pen and block off the summerhouse door/keep an eye on the windows because i will be in there. I think this will be best because they still get lots of space when i am there, and i can spend time with them without invading their space.
I went outside and measured the other patio bit and it is about 10' by 4' so that would be a lot of space for a run, and (this is hard to explain without photos, i will try and upload some soon.) the patio is actually in the corner of our garden, with brick walls, and the summerhouse on the other side, so i just would have to build the roof and one wall, somehow attaching it to a brick wall (? i have no clue, i will probably do the aviary panel run with all 4 sides) and the summerhouse. then put a cat-flap or something going from that run to the pen inside. for the grass i would probably have a smaller run that i put out for supervised time, because our garden has a big section of grass, then lots of trees and bushes around the edges, so free ranging isnt really possible because i think i would lose them xD Also my dog is very lazy and doesnt really care about other animals, so i dont think its a huge issue... i just thought i'd put it out there. with Runaround tubes, is there a way to close them off? because if there is i would be tempted to have a tube going from the patio run to a grass one, but could close it off so they couldnt dig out when i wasnt there.
Thankyou for all your help, now all i have to do is get my mum to definitely agree and wait for my money :/ i'm supposed to be getting inheritance (from like a year ago ) soon, but the project will be delayed until then, although it does seem a much cheaper option than most other things. x

Oops sorry tamsin, i didnt see your reply xx i think im going to build a pen so i dont have to do the mesh doors, but can leave them open. this does depend on how hard its going to be to do the mesh door though. Also, it isnt in direct sunlight, and i personally have never been in there and its been hot, and im pretty sure its never been hotter than outside, so hopefully with ventilation it will be ok. thankyou for the reply x

Welcome to the forum!

The summerhouse sounds like a fantastic size space, but the problem is not that it might be warm enough but that it might be too warm. Bunnies cope very well with cold temperatures as they grow a very effective winter coat, but bunnies can't sweat. Healthy adult bunnies with a partner and somewhere to hide from the wind will be totally fine in the cold weather that we have in England (and there are microwave snugglesafes which you can use to give them a source of heat), but the summer is the real problem. It's much harder to cool a shed down than warm it up. Summerhouses with big windows can act as a big greenhouse and trap all the heat. You definitely could use a summerhouse though with a few additions - personally I'd cover the whole floor with lino flooring (wood effect goes very well and it barely noticeable), but more importantly for the summer I'd also want to build an additional mesh inner door that could be firmly closed. This, along with the opened windows (which you'd need to mesh over on the inside for safety from predators and from escapees!) would provide good air flow. If you have electricity you can also add electric fans out of their reach which are quite effective too if placed near a wet towel. The summerhouse idea could work really well, but you'd need to mesh every opening window and build/install that additional mesh door. As long as there's airflow it and you keep aware of the temperature it should work really well. Alternatively you could create a secure enclosure inside the summerhouse - i.e. with all 4 sides either built out of proper secure run/aviary panels or securely attached to the wall and it'd also need a lid and bolts to secure it etc. You could then do away with the additional mesh door and just leave the doors and windows open when it's warm. You could either make one like you mentioned in your last post with a lid, or a ceiling height enclosure might be nice as you can then have shelves inside to store stuff etc. Then you could attach a run to the side, or attach with a runaround tube etc. All enclosure building needs to be made with thick, good quality timber and with mesh which is 19g or thicker and 1 x 1/2inch or smaller.
Sorry for the 3rd post in a row :O but i've been looking at how to do a mesh door and it seems like it would be a really big pain... could i just take off the windows, and put mesh over instead (because if they are meshed i cant open and close them anyway? ) and just have like shutters or something to put over when its cold? Just wondering about this, probably wont be having the entire thing as the house now anyway because there isnt really anywhere else in the house to store hay/bedding/food etc...

It might help with pictures so we can see how things open. For windows you'd usually put the mesh frame on the opposite side to they open, so if they open outwards then on the inside. You can do them lots of different ways, for example hinged like shutters so you can open the mesh part to open the window. Mesh doors are generally fairly easy to fit. You put them on the opposite side to the doors open so inside if they open outwards. You might need a spacer to set them back a little (just a frame of wood) and then you hang them on hinges. You can use aviary panels - get one custom sized to fit if you don't fancy making your own.

You could look at wire puppy pens for inside. Either used as a pen or you use it as a line, and fix to the wall at two points and use the summerhouse wall as the other side(s). Or if you go to somewhere that makes aviary panels and ask, they can build you shorter versions eg 4' high and make a pen from that. There is no reason you need to go all the way to the roof and that would be easer with the slope. There are also room dividers aimed at babies which might be worth a look - although the bar spacing tends to be a bit wide and it may need covering with mesh too.

Not had time to read all the excellent replies, but in my opinion sheds etc do not need to be insulated.

We have a kennel/run and a regular hutch inside the kennel area but other than times when it is used as a bolt hole they sit outside outside of the hutch in the main. Rabbits are very hardy! (So long as weatherproof of course).

Finished!

The summerhouse is actually completely finished already (not the run, just the inside)! Thankyou everyone for the help, i will *try* and upload some photos in the future, there is a wood/mesh partition going down the middle of the summerhouse, so one half will be for the rabbits, the other half for rabbit stuff and for me. We got our vinyl flooring online, which came yesterday, and we finished everything off today :D Next up will be the run outside, but we are just putting up a corrugated plastic roof, and one 6ft high wall with a door in, and then putting in a cat flap and the run will be complete :) So so so happy it is all nearly done now, and it was a LOT cheaper then i thought it would be, and also a lot cheaper than getting a hutch. The wood was all free or stuff my grandad (who oh-so-kindly built everything for me) already had, the mesh was £26, the vinyl flooring was £37 and then i think it was £5 for the door hinges and bolt. Everything else we already had :) So just the run to do and then rabbits! The inside part is about 7 and a half feet by 4 feet, and the run will be about 4 and a half by 9 feet. How many rabbits do you think this space would be best suited to? Thanks again everyone :D

That's sounds great - a lovely big space. It will be much nicer for you interacting with them to, to be able to do so in the summer house rather than bending over a hutch in the middle of winter.

I would say you could house a pair of giants (you'd need a large size cat flap), or three normal sized rabbits, four if they had full time access to the run. Rescues do sometimes have pre-bonded groups either where they've come in together or they've had a litter and that would be the easiest way to get a group as you'd avoid having to bond them/sort neutering.

The summerhouse is actually completely finished already (not the run, just the inside)! Thankyou everyone for the help, i will *try* and upload some photos in the future, there is a wood/mesh partition going down the middle of the summerhouse, so one half will be for the rabbits, the other half for rabbit stuff and for me. We got our vinyl flooring online, which came yesterday, and we finished everything off today :D Next up will be the run outside, but we are just putting up a corrugated plastic roof, and one 6ft high wall with a door in, and then putting in a cat flap and the run will be complete :) So so so happy it is all nearly done now, and it was a LOT cheaper then i thought it would be, and also a lot cheaper than getting a hutch. The wood was all free or stuff my grandad (who oh-so-kindly built everything for me) already had, the mesh was £26, the vinyl flooring was £37 and then i think it was £5 for the door hinges and bolt. Everything else we already had :) So just the run to do and then rabbits! The inside part is about 7 and a half feet by 4 feet, and the run will be about 4 and a half by 9 feet. How many rabbits do you think this space would be best suited to? Thanks again everyone :D

That sounds fantastic, I'd personally love to see pictures if and when you can! I love seeing things come to life :D

That space would be perfect for a pair of bunnies, but it would also accommodate 3 or 4 very comfortably. If it's enough space for 2 it's enough space for up to 4 or even 5 really. It's only when you start getting bigger groups that you need to drastically increase the space. All you need to do is ensure there's enough water and hay to accommodate the extra mouths and enough places to snooze :D

Have a look at some local rescues near you and see if there are any existing pairs/trios/quads that you fancy? It's harder to rehome pairs than single bunnies, and even harder to rehome trios and quads :( I'm sure rescues would bond two or more singles for you, or bond a single into an existing pair/trio if they feel it'll work based on personalities/genders etc. Taking on several single bunnies also opens up a lot of space for them to rescue bunnies other bunnies, so that could be fantastic.

http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/search_form.asp and http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/centres.asp are a great way to search.

I've put in Northampton as your location and had a look myself... there are some gorgeous bunnies up for adoption! http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sear...=&RabSex=&RabBond=Bonded&RabVac=on&RabNeut=on :love:

Thankyou both for the replies :D I would have to go to a nearby shelter, and most of those are pretty far away, and we don't have a car so i have to get a lift XD xx I think I'm going to get 3, *maybe* 4, but i'm not sure. xx Do i need a food bowl/water bottle/sleeping place per rabbit? what about litter trays/hay racks etc? xx And yes the run will be permanently attached, because its full height, covered, and on patio so they wont need to be supervised in it. The number kinda depends on which ones i fall in love with once i get there :D probably the first bun i see, knowing me XD

Thankyou both for the replies :D I would have to go to a nearby shelter, and most of those are pretty far away, and we don't have a car so i have to get a lift XD xx I think I'm going to get 3, *maybe* 4, but i'm not sure. xx Do i need a food bowl/water bottle/sleeping place per rabbit? what about litter trays/hay racks etc? xx And yes the run will be permanently attached, because its full height, covered, and on patio so they wont need to be supervised in it. The number kinda depends on which ones i fall in love with once i get there :D probably the first bun i see, knowing me XD

There's no hard and fast rules about bowls/bottles/sleeping places. With the water bottles/bowls you wanna provide quite a few and if you have a pair or more I'd go for the 1 litre bottles and the big dog bowls. They both provide much more water than the standard ones, and the bigger the body of water the longer it takes for it to freeze in winter. I would thoroughly recommend this bottle: http://www.johnhopewell.co.uk/default.asp?template=productdetail.page.xml&productid=22 - the 1L size is nice and big, the top-opening is really handy, the spout gives a faster flow which is important when two bunnies might be thirsty at once, it doesn't leak like the normal ball bearing ones do, and there's very little water in the spout which means it doesn't freeze as easily in winter. There's also this one which is much the same design: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005UO98...lid=1N7HM1J92H6Z2&coliid=I3LHU9MPHD8FUF&psc=1. Many bunnies prefer bowls, so it'd be a good idea to provide both. The big ceramic dog bowls are great - there's loads of water, it doesn't freeze easily, and bunnies can't throw them around! It's also high enough to be comfy to drink from and also that they won't often walk through it :)roll:). Mason cash do some perfect size ones and they have polka dots which makes a change from having a bowl with 'dog' written on it for your bunnies: http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=pets&field-keywords=mason cash . I'd be tempted to get 2 bowls and 2 bottles, and place one of each in the run and summerhouse.

With the food bowls as long as it's big enough one will do. Many people don't use bowls for pellets/veg - scatter feeding (i.e. chucking it everywhere) is more interesting for the bunnies and prevents them scoffing everything too fast. With a bigger group it's often easier too. But if you want to use bowls there's no rules :D

Same with sleeping places - no rules really. You'll wanna provide several places for variety, and try to provide a variety of high places and snuggly safer places inside something. Cardboard boxes are good! Wooden items can also be great because they last for so long unless you have very nibbly bunnies. There's some great stuff here: http://www.boylespethousing.co.uk/accessories.html, but it sounds like your grandad could build you some things ;)

Back