• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Tell me I'm not stupid...

Summer&Skye

Mama Doe
I want to get another pet carrier so I've got two so all 4 buns can go to the vets together. I have a catit cabrio in pink that I've been happy with, but I only got pink because at the time I needed it I was skint and ordered from my catalogue and pink was the only colour they had! Also, I used it temporarily to house my hamster when I first adopted him, and he chewed some of the plastic on the sides. This doesn't affect it's use whatsoever but annoys me, and I find it a bit embarrassing as I'm sure the vets/people will think I've kept an animal in it long term! Anyway, as I said I'm not really keen on pink and I've been looking and they also do it in grey/orange which I much prefer but I want to get two to match :oops: even tho I only need one :oops: I am starting to worry about these little things developing into OCD! Tell me I'm not stupid and this is perfectly normal to replace something that doesn't need replacing just because I don't like the colour :oops:

You aren't stupid :thumb: I'm sure they wouldn't look at your carrier and start making judgements about you. If you were going to go to the expense of buying 2 carriers how about just getting something big enough for all 4 of them to go in? I got this http://t.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/dog_cages_carriers/crates/small_dog_crates/169763 and it is brilliant :thumb: they have it in their shed for an extra bed (or should I say toilet :roll::lol:)

Thanks :lol: I think u suggested that one to me before and I do like it but I have a bit of a fear of clips coming undone etc when carrying from the top, and with the weight of 4 rabbits in there I'd be even more paranoid! I was in the vets a few weeks ago and a man had hold of a cat in a carrier and I could see that one of the clips was broken so I'm going through a whole scenario in my head that it collapses and the cat panics and runs off and maybe gets run over... Argh!! I'm sure it was perfectly secure but I get these little panics :lol: So I think I'd feel happier with two separate ones. The one I have has a hole so it can be hung up on a hook in the shed, so not too bad to store. I can just hear my mum saying why do u need a new one?! She'd prob even say why can't i make do with one and take them separately, which, of course is a perfectly reasonable idea :roll: I'm so obsessed with 'organising' everything at the minute and things being neat and having a place!

I'm 100% positive no vet is going to judge you for your carrier being chewed. My Contis broke the vet's carrier when they went in for their spay, within 5 minutes of being in it! But if you can afford it, and you'll always be regretting not having two matching ones then why not. You could always give the old one to a rescue.

I'm 100% positive no vet is going to judge you for your carrier being chewed. My Contis broke the vet's carrier when they went in for their spay, within 5 minutes of being in it! But if you can afford it, and you'll always be regretting not having two matching ones then why not. You could always give the old one to a rescue.

Thanks haha :lol: I keep expecting the vets to say have the bunnies chewed it and I'd have to say no I kept a hamster in it for a week or so while I got him a proper cage! :oops: Sounds so silly but it will bug me all the time if I have two that don't match :oops: I've just bought a new microwave just because I gave my kitchen a good sort out and the old microwave didn't 'fit in' with the new sleeker looking kitchen! My boss got me a gorgeous nespresso machine for Xmas and it's really sleek shiny black so I had to get a sleek shiny black microwave of course, my cheap old one just didn't cut it :lol: Also now obsessing that I NEED a new dinner set as that's always bugged me as never had a proper full set and half of what I do have are chipped aswell, do then of course I need new cutlery... Seriously I think I'm developing a problem!! Luckily we have ikea :lol:

Thanks :lol: I think u suggested that one to me before and I do like it but I have a bit of a fear of clips coming undone etc when carrying from the top, and with the weight of 4 rabbits in there I'd be even more paranoid! I was in the vets a few weeks ago and a man had hold of a cat in a carrier and I could see that one of the clips was broken so I'm going through a whole scenario in my head that it collapses and the cat panics and runs off and maybe gets run over... Argh!! I'm sure it was perfectly secure but I get these little panics :lol: So I think I'd feel happier with two separate ones. The one I have has a hole so it can be hung up on a hook in the shed, so not too bad to store. I can just hear my mum saying why do u need a new one?! She'd prob even say why can't i make do with one and take them separately, which, of course is a perfectly reasonable idea :roll: I'm so obsessed with 'organising' everything at the minute and things being neat and having a place!

It's all screwed together, no clips, so no fear of that happening :thumb: you have to put the doors in place, put the top on, and then screw the top into the bottom with quite a lot of screws, so the doors are in really securely too, and they latch over a big lip so no buns can get the doors open either :thumb:

It's all screwed together, no clips, so no fear of that happening :thumb: you have to put the doors in place, put the top on, and then screw the top into the bottom with quite a lot of screws, so the doors are in really securely too, and they latch over a big lip so no buns can get the doors open either :thumb:

Ah right hmm will have a think :thumb:

I think it's quite reasonable getting a new carrier to match if you can afford it :thumb: I know what you mean about the carrier coming open panic too... I look crazy when i go to the vets because my carry case has a padlock on it incase the catch comes open!! :lol: Have to use the key to unlock bunnies before they can come out!

nope, totally not stupid! got to have a nice colour, and a nice clean carrier. don't want the vets thinking we don't look after them :oops::lol:

Colour is very important to me (I love pink btw)!

I would definately have two new ones that match. I bought one for the belgian hares to travel in (when I collected them from cottontails) and I will defo be getting another one identical.

I recently bought a mobile phone on ebay, because its white and pink!

How about getting a blue one then you can take the girls in one and the boys in the other

I only have one boy, he's already been subjected to the embarrassment of being in a pink carrier :lol:

Thanks everyone, you're all a bad influence :lol:

I have the ferplast atlas mini too and I love it. I actually don't have it screwed together at the moment and it's still strong enough to carry about 10kg of rabbit (though I worry!). Like zoobec said, there are like 8 screws that hold it together exceptionally securely if you do use them.
I use it as a bed too, and to shut Mack in for his extra food every day.

But in answer to the original question, no I don't think it's at all mad to want them to match.

I have the same carriers, one pink and one orange, I prefer the orange too! But they only had one of each in stock. Totally get what you are saying and you're not stupid. I would prefer two the same too!

Thanks all for the reassurance :oops: :lol: I'm going to make sure I can hang 2 carriers up in the shed without them being in the way then I think I'll order them. I think I'd prefer to have 2 smaller ones rather than one big one.

Thanks haha :lol: I keep expecting the vets to say have the bunnies chewed it and I'd have to say no I kept a hamster in it for a week or so while I got him a proper cage! :oops: Sounds so silly but it will bug me all the time if I have two that don't match :oops: I've just bought a new microwave just because I gave my kitchen a good sort out and the old microwave didn't 'fit in' with the new sleeker looking kitchen! My boss got me a gorgeous nespresso machine for Xmas and it's really sleek shiny black so I had to get a sleek shiny black microwave of course, my cheap old one just didn't cut it :lol: Also now obsessing that I NEED a new dinner set as that's always bugged me as never had a proper full set and half of what I do have are chipped aswell, do then of course I need new cutlery... Seriously I think I'm developing a problem!! Luckily we have ikea :lol:

This is just what I'm like :lol: I also changed my kettle and toaster because I bought a black shiny nespresso machine. Fortunately the microwave matched :roll:

I have had the experience of a cage coming open. I was taking my little bun Thomas to the vet and thought I had locked him in ok. It hadn't latched properly which I found out as I carried him out to the car and popped him on the floor to open the car door - the little monkey shot off! How I grabbed him I do not know to this day! When I straightened up with little Thomas trying to head butt me I realised that I had an audience of the neighbours waiting patiently in their car to get past me :roll:

Definitely better to be thorough about the carrier! :wave:

This is just what I'm like :lol: I also changed my kettle and toaster because I bought a black shiny nespresso machine. Fortunately the microwave matched :roll:

I have had the experience of a cage coming open. I was taking my little bun Thomas to the vet and thought I had locked him in ok. It hadn't latched properly which I found out as I carried him out to the car and popped him on the floor to open the car door - the little monkey shot off! How I grabbed him I do not know to this day! When I straightened up with little Thomas trying to head butt me I realised that I had an audience of the neighbours waiting patiently in their car to get past me :roll:

Definitely better to be thorough about the carrier! :wave:

:lol: glad it's not just me! Eek the carrier incident sounds scary! Lucky u managed to grab him! I'm in two minds now I might just get one carrier and not have matching :( Might have to be sensible... Or not... :roll:

Back