• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

metaclopramide - opinions?

Kim_perkins

Mama Doe
I can't help but research the lotions and potions my bun is prescribed by the vet but this stuff worries me.

I've read it can be dangerous for buns? She's never been prescribed it before and since her stone removal has been on 2.8ml twice a day .... I'm wondering what other people think of this?? Is I normal?
She has a 5 day course.
She's fine, recovering well and there are lots of droppings in her box - a little small but she's eating a little less at the moment.
I shouldn't research I frighten myself! I know vets only prescribe what's necessary. Just wanted some opinions?

X

I don't know about the dose but my bunny has something in her bladder - a thickening, but we don't know what - and in case it was a stone she was prescribed Metoclop. She's off it now but was on it 3x daily for at least a fortnight and didn't have any problems at all!

As far as I'm aware it isn't dangerous :? Barney is on it three times a day long term as he has tummy troubles; he can't manage without it! That sounds like a high dose though :?

As far as I'm aware it isn't dangerous :? Barney is on it three times a day long term as he has tummy troubles; he can't manage without it! That sounds like a high dose though :?

I think it's generally because it was a long operation and she has been sore so off her food, just to keep her gut moving. She weighs 2.7kg. I thought it seemed quite high but would like to think the vets know what they're doing !

bisc and matt always had 1ml 3x a day for 5days for stasis (2.3kg and 2,4kg), so i can see why it might be alot higher with what your bunny has been through. you could always phone them and double check though if you're worried. :wave:

bisc and matt always had 1ml 3x a day for 5days for stasis (2.3kg and 2,4kg), so i can see why it might be alot higher with what your bunny has been through. you could always phone them and double check though if you're worried. :wave:

Yes I guess so. I just worry! I'm sure it's fine and half the time I end up wearing some of it after she grunts and kicks me!

Where did you read that it was dangerous?

My buns have been prescribed it frequently duing stasis and always recovered and been fine. I would trust my vet's opinion more than almost anything I could read elsewhere to be honest!

Where did you read that it was dangerous?

My buns have been prescribed it frequently duing stasis and always recovered and been fine. I would trust my vet's opinion more than almost anything I could read elsewhere to be honest!

On some website - no doubt there's no truth in it and I should learn to not read these things!

It advised how it can be quote potent for bunnies in terms thar it can make buns quite poorly as it's quite a fast reacting drug and quite harsh. Us humans can have it and can be prescribed it, but given buns have a fast metabolism.

I just worry for no reason! But when you love your animals you do! X

I have used it on several bunnies in the past, and wouldn't hesitate to use it if prescribed again, if they need it. It has been a life saver before on one bunny. I've not had any adverse reactions, either. It is quite a common drug to be prescribed for rabbits, so I would not be worried about it. I'm sure someone can quote an appropriate medical reference about its use.

Yes as others have said it's a perfectly normal drug to have been given, it helps get their guts going again after an op and/or a period of not eating properly. The dose does sound a little on the high side to me though, I would normally expect more along the lines of a 1mg/kg dose (which it sounds like you've got) split into two doses daily, rather than that whole amount given twice. But I don't know if higher would be normal for some circumstances or even if there drug comes in different concentrations (I don't think it does). But the drug itself is commonly used in bunnies so no need to worry about that :D. Hope your little one continues to do well - did they say whether it's something that might recur and if so is there anything different that she needs about her diet?

On some website - no doubt there's no truth in it and I should learn to not read these things!

It advised how it can be quote potent for bunnies in terms thar it can make buns quite poorly as it's quite a fast reacting drug and quite harsh. Us humans can have it and can be prescribed it, but given buns have a fast metabolism.

I just worry for no reason! But when you love your animals you do! X

It's sensible to do some research, but be wary about believing everything online as there are scare stories abotu pretty much everything. I bet I could google "orange juice poisonous to humans" and get results! Often these are based on misinterpretations of one off anecdotal events.

I seem to remember there's a massive campaign against metacam, I still use it though :lol:

Hope your bunny does well :) :)

Yes as others have said it's a perfectly normal drug to have been given, it helps get their guts going again after an op and/or a period of not eating properly. The dose does sound a little on the high side to me though, I would normally expect more along the lines of a 1mg/kg dose (which it sounds like you've got) split into two doses daily, rather than that whole amount given twice. But I don't know if higher would be normal for some circumstances or even if there drug comes in different concentrations (I don't think it does). But the drug itself is commonly used in bunnies so no need to worry about that :D. Hope your little one continues to do well - did they say whether it's something that might recur and if so is there anything different that she needs about her diet?

I will speak to my vet tomorrow about the dosage as would have presumed exactly as you have said re dosage, but given her condition it may have been necessary.

She's doing so well though so I'll mention that to my vet tomorrow she's eating like a horse!! And of course pooping lots.

With regards to her diet yes, it has to change and I am introducing lots more hay and different types I've been out today and bought a water distiller so she can have water that's treated and free of calcium as I'm in a hard water area - it works out cheaper then bottled water and I drink it to.

I've researched all fruit and veg to give her (in moderation) that's low in Calcium. To be honest she's gone off her pellets - not a bad thing because it may be due to me upping her grass intake so she eats more of this which is ideal, but she still has a very small amount and the option to eat them as well.

Just fingers crossed she doesn't go through it again as I know sludge is likely to form again however vets assured me they did thoroughly flush her through so there's no build up left. Statistically I believe it's about 10-15% of it reoccurring, knowing my luck with her it will. But I'm doing all I can to prevent that x

Back