• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

EC - cases starting within days of starting panacur - anyone else experienced this?

parsnipbun

Wise Old Thumper
It may be a coincidence or perhaps its part of the 'getting rid of the parasite' process - but we have now had two rabbits come down with hind leg paralysis within two days of starting panacur.

We started to do everyone because 3 of ours had eye issues that might be related to EC - though tricky to say and they are resolving now -

but now we have two with hind leg issues . . .

anyone else experienced this or may have an explanation for it? One has also had fits.

As Fenbendazole does not penetrate the blood/brain barrier it has no effect on the neurological element of EC. But it obviously does help eliminate spores circulating within the blood stream, minimising the risk of damage else-where (kidneys, eyes, heart etc). Hence it's use in 'active EC'.Damage limitation rather than curative.

I am sorry that you have a lot of poorly Rabbits :cry:

It may be a coincidence or perhaps its part of the 'getting rid of the parasite' process - but we have now had two rabbits come down with hind leg paralysis within two days of starting panacur.

We started to do everyone because 3 of ours had eye issues that might be related to EC - though tricky to say and they are resolving now -

anyone else experienced this or may have an explanation for it? One has also had fits.

I think this is it .. part of the 'healing crisis' and the parasite causing problems brain wise on it's way out.
Or something like that.

Once started on Panacur, my heathy little bun had a seizure. That's the only explanation we could find. I think I called it 'Die off' at the time.

A friend on here had something very similar happen with her pair whilst treating them both; after one developed a head tilt. The other had a fit and initial hind leg paralysis. But I can't remember how soon after starting the course it happened.

I think this is it .. part of the 'healing crisis' and the parasite causing problems brain wise on it's way out.
Or something like that.

Once started on Panacur, my heathy little bun had a seizure. That's the only explanation we could find. I think I called it 'Die off' at the time.

:wave: you got there before me!... I type soooo slow :lol:

How are your rabbits doing now? :wave:

How are your rabbits doing now? :wave:

I am very sad to say that Milk Thistle died last night. It seems hardly believable that just a week ago all she had was a slight limp in one rear leg. Despite having panacur, sub cut fluids, metacam, baytril and being kept inside for intensive care and supportive feeds she had several more EC related neurological episodes and bit by bit lost use of both rear legs and then her front leg splayed. She lost all appetite a couple of days ago and was just taking fluids and immediately weeing them out.

We did hope that she might yet come round - as we have nursed several very bad cases of head tilt with success (although Milk Thistle did not have tilt). Sadly at midnight last night she started to mouth breath and was gone by 1.30am probably from fluid on the lungs and kidney failure.

We now have just Gooseberry inside with symptoms of disorientation and slight tilt - he has not lost use of rear legs but seems very very disorientated especially considering the slightness of the tilt.

Milk Thistle was a stunningly pretty and very very bolshy rabbit who was the head of a group of five rabbits - she was only about 4 years old and came to us as a young stray. It is heartbreakingly cruel that this should have happened to her.

I am very sad to say that Milk Thistle died last night. It seems hardly believable that just a week ago all she had was a slight limp in one rear leg. Despite having panacur, sub cut fluids, metacam, baytril and being kept inside for intensive care and supportive feeds she had several more EC related neurological episodes and bit by bit lost use of both rear legs and then her front leg splayed. She lost all appetite a couple of days ago and was just taking fluids and immediately weeing them out.

We did hope that she might yet come round - as we have nursed several very bad cases of head tilt with success (although Milk Thistle did not have tilt). Sadly at midnight last night she started to mouth breath and was gone by 1.30am probably from fluid on the lungs and kidney failure.

We now have just Gooseberry inside with symptoms of disorientation and slight tilt - he has not lost use of rear legs but seems very very disorientated especially considering the slightness of the tilt.

Milk Thistle was a stunningly pretty and very very bolshy rabbit who was the head of a group of five rabbits - she was only about 4 years old and came to us as a young stray. It is heartbreakingly cruel that this should have happened to her.

I'm so very sorry you lost Milk Thistle. How sad. Rest in peace little one :love:

I'm sorry for Gooseberry and I hope he pulls through and gets better. The disorientation they experience sometimes is really strange and unnerving I find. Hard to know exactly what to do ..

Sending recovery vibes xx

I'm so sorry to hear that Milk Thistle has lost her fight. :cry:

I hope that Gooseberry can stay strong and pull through.

Back