• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Am I worrying for nothing?

midori1999

Alpha Buck
I'm now wondering if I got Lily and Binky too soon after losing Rebel. :(

Binky was fine last night during free ranging (until about 1am) but I've just let them out for a free range now and She is just laying down in her pen chilling. I've given her some brocolli and dried forage and she doesn't seem interested, but they have only been here for 6 days and can still be nervous. There are lots of poops in the litter tray but obviously I can't tell which bunny left them. She has just taken herself from next to the water bowl into the litter tray when I changed the water.

Obviously I'm keeping a close eye on her but I'm not sure if I'm being over anxious or something might be wrong? I just want to rush her to the vet, but obviously that's just silly if she's ok. Could she be too hot indoors? (We're in Scotland, it's not baking outside, under 20C)

Was she free ranging on grass yesterday and if so did she eat a lot of it ?

Is she breathing more rapidly than normal ?

Do her ears feel too hot or too cold ?

Is her bum clean ?

Thankyou.

They were free ranging indoors. They've been/are house bunnies so I started to introduce a small handful of grass a day a few days ago.

Her breathing is possibly slightly more rapid than normal, but if it is it's barely noticeable. Her ears feel cool to the touch, certainly cooler than Lily's.

Her bum is clean.

I've opened all the doors and windows and she seems to have perked up a bit, but she still isn't eating. Lily has just been humping her. It looks like Binky's nose is possibly slightly swollen on one side and she's maybe been nipped. :( it's right in the middle and underneath, very hard to see. She did crash into a door a bit during binkying last night, so not sure if it could be that?

Im going to seperate them and get Binky to the vet, Lily seems to be bothering her today. :(

This is what I think may be a nip

Maybe a bit swollen on one side?

But looking normal here?

Ive spoken to the exotics vet and am taking them over now just to be on the safe side. She thinks they should stay together for now and go together.

Thankyou. The vet felt she hadn't been bitten or if she's had a nip she hasn't been injured. Gut sounds fairly normal and poos normal whilst there. She also had a little explore of the consulting area and seemed quite bright.

However, her temperature is only 35.2, so the vet has decided to keep her (and Lily) in. They've popped her into an incubator and given pain relief. The vet thinks pain of some sort is the most likely cause, but they'll keep an eye on her and she may be discharged tonight or maybe tomorrow, they'll ring me in a few hours.

Thank goodness I noticed she was quiet. The vet seemed quite positive, she would have sent her home if not for the temperature, so hopefully she'll be fine. I can't help but worry though.

Thankyou so much, especially you Jane, your post really helped me think sensibly about the situation.

Thankyou. The vet has phoned and she has picked up and is maintaining her own temp at 37.2 now, so nearly normal. They're going to see how she goes and ring me back after 6 to let me know if she can come home then or not. She's had a syringe feed of critical care and is drinking herself and acting more like a normal bunny apparently. Thank goodness!

Thankyou. The vet has phoned and she has picked up and is maintaining her own temp at 37.2 now, so nearly normal. They're going to see how she goes and ring me back after 6 to let me know if she can come home then or not. She's had a syringe feed of critical care and is drinking herself and acting more like a normal bunny apparently. Thank goodness!

That's good news :) I hope that she will soon be home xx

Good to see a positive update. Sending vibes, it must be a worry especially with newly arrived bunnies.

Thankyou once again. The support offered is so helpful, my friends and family just don't understand, to them they're 'just' rabbits. :(

Binky has improved further this afternoon and is now eating herself and pooping well. However, the vet feels she is still a little quiet when compared to Lily (Binky is normally more outgoing) and so they are staying overnight just to be on the safe side. Hopefully she'll be her normal self by the morning.

I can't believe how much I miss them already! Even the vet was impressed by how friendly they both are and how easy to handle. They were obviously very well cared for by the lady I got them from after they were found in a field.

Thankyou. Yes, hopefully she will be. I feel quite reassured they're keeping her in, particularly as we don't know the exact cause of the problem and after Rebel had suddenly gone downhill so fast when he was ill. I did explain to the vet that I was anxious, but I think they'd be cautious anyway. I haven't seen this vet before, I've always seen the other exotic/bunny vet there, but she is really lovely and you can see her genuine love for bunnies and I really like her. She also remembered Rebel too, which was really nice.

Thankyou. Yes, hopefully she will be. I feel quite reassured they're keeping her in, particularly as we don't know the exact cause of the problem and after Rebel had suddenly gone downhill so fast when he was ill. I did explain to the vet that I was anxious, but I think they'd be cautious anyway. I haven't seen this vet before, I've always seen the other exotic/bunny vet there, but she is really lovely and you can see her genuine love for bunnies and I really like her. She also remembered Rebel too, which was really nice.

It makes such a big difference when the Vet has a good 'tableside manner'. A little bit of empathy can go a long way.

Sorry, I collected the girls this morning and have been crazily busy since! Binky seems fine and is back to her normal self. However, the vet wants to see her again on Tuesday to check her heart as it was apparently skipping the odd beat this morning. Hopefully it's nothing.

Back