• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cremation*obviously sensitive topic*

hoppetylop

Mama Doe
Today my rabbit Casper went to the bridge:cry:I have arranged for him to be cremated before I then collect his ashes and bring them home to be scattered in the garden.Thing is I wondered if there was a way of making it abit more...well personal,I don't really know what to do having never had an animal cremated before.He is at the vets at the moment but will be collected by whoever cremates all the bridge animals from my vets and then returned there for me to collect.I feel abit "distant"from the whole process but don't feel able to talk to the vet about it in person as its still very raw.Wish he could be in my care until the cremation but I know that's not really possible/practical.He will only be "away" for a week before I can collect him but that feels like a long time at the moment:(

Im sorry you have lost Casper :(

Sorry I have no advice as its been years since we had ashes returned. But when we did it was as you desctibed through our vet x

Sent from my GT-S6810P using Tapatalk

You say it's not possible/practical for you to have him home before the cremation, so what I say might not be relevant but re the "making it more personal" experience, here's what I recommend.

I've found a local pet crematorium where I arrange an appointment to take the pet myself. It's like a little church. I spend as much time as I can with the pet at home before taking them there (so far one died at the vets, one at home). When I took the rabbit to the crem the first time I just expected to hand him over but she asked a lot about Shadow and did the whole bereavement counselling thing, made my pet feel important, really took her time with me. She was very thoughtful and in Artie's case she asked if I had taken a lock of his fur - I had but I had intended to take some black fur from his face as well as the grey fur but left it till last minute and had forgotten. She got me some scissors and a little velvet bag, the whole process was so dignified. I got to choose the box for the ashes or whether the ashes were to be scattered, there was the option of scattering the ashes there - it's a really inspirational place on top of the moors, loads of fresh air and views for miles, very peaceful. Then get an appointment to pick them up.

I found that experience far, far more personal and healing than just collecting the ashes from the vets a week later. It wouldn't work for everybody but it certainly does for me.

If the boundaries of possible/practical can be moved then you might find an experience similar to the above helps with your grieving. So sorry for your loss.

Last edited:
I'm so sorry about Casper :cry:

Someone came to my house to collect Floppy for cremation (we don't have a car). I arranged the same when my son's chipmunk passed away. They come into the house, dressed smartly in black, and sit and talk about our pet and how we feel about them.

The car has little baskets and flowers (plastic though) laid out in the back. I could chose for Floppy to travel in his usual tray he always slept in. The car was black too. I chose his little casket, which came back to be with a lovely red rose.

They then returned the ashes to us, at an agreed time a few days later, with in my son's case, a lock of Chippy's hair encased in a plastic wallet (they asked if we wanted this), and a packet of forget-me-nots to plant.

The first woman we used would collect pets from the vet, if that is what you wanted.

Last edited:
So sorry x

I dread the day my buns move on (it's been on my mind a lot as one is very poorly), and the beautiful post about the cremation experience has got me in tears.

Hes booked for a private cremation on Monday.Its nice and personal and a lovely lady has arranged collection and then delivery back home.Im glad I did this as I feel some relief that theres an individual feel to the whole process.Thankyou for the posts everyone.It really helped me decide what to do and what to expect.x

You say it's not possible/practical for you to have him home before the cremation, so what I say might not be relevant but re the "making it more personal" experience, here's what I recommend.

I've found a local pet crematorium where I arrange an appointment to take the pet myself. It's like a little church. I spend as much time as I can with the pet at home before taking them there (so far one died at the vets, one at home). When I took the rabbit to the crem the first time I just expected to hand him over but she asked a lot about Shadow and did the whole bereavement counselling thing, made my pet feel important, really took her time with me. She was very thoughtful and in Artie's case she asked if I had taken a lock of his fur - I had but I had intended to take some black fur from his face as well as the grey fur but left it till last minute and had forgotten. She got me some scissors and a little velvet bag, the whole process was so dignified. I got to choose the box for the ashes or whether the ashes were to be scattered, there was the option of scattering the ashes there - it's a really inspirational place on top of the moors, loads of fresh air and views for miles, very peaceful. Then get an appointment to pick them up.

I found that experience far, far more personal and healing than just collecting the ashes from the vets a week later. It wouldn't work for everybody but it certainly does for me.

If the boundaries of possible/practical can be moved then you might find an experience similar to the above helps with your grieving. So sorry for your loss.

This is very close to what I did when my two passed over the bridge together. I took them to a crematorium and it was a very personal service for us. I collected their ashes a few hours later in a wooden bunny casket I had chosen earlier that day.

Wishing you peace and strength, whatever you decide to do xx

Today my rabbit Casper went to the bridge:cry:I have arranged for him to be cremated before I then collect his ashes and bring them home to be scattered in the garden.Thing is I wondered if there was a way of making it abit more...well personal,I don't really know what to do having never had an animal cremated before.He is at the vets at the moment but will be collected by whoever cremates all the bridge animals from my vets and then returned there for me to collect.I feel abit "distant"from the whole process but don't feel able to talk to the vet about it in person as its still very raw.Wish he could be in my care until the cremation but I know that's not really possible/practical.He will only be "away" for a week before I can collect him but that feels like a long time at the moment:(

I am sorry for your loss. I too am in Oxford.

I have taken my bunnies to this crematorium.

http://www.dignitypetcrem.co.uk/?gclid=CMr9haTc-b4CFSbmwgodyB8AJg

If this is not an alternative, Im sure your vet would be able to offer you similar keepsakes (if you click on the link and see whats available)

Hes booked for a private cremation on Monday.Its nice and personal and a lovely lady has arranged collection and then delivery back home.Im glad I did this as I feel some relief that theres an individual feel to the whole process.Thankyou for the posts everyone.It really helped me decide what to do and what to expect.x

The 2 people I have had come to collect Chippy and Floppy were lovely. They asked all about them, what they were like, what they liked doing, our memories of them etc. And they treated them with respect all the time.

I really hope that Monday isn't too difficult for you. Sending hugs x

Thankyou for the posts.I didn't know about the petcrem in Oxford raine but the one I found is still fairly local and I think will offer a similar service.Im so glad ive done this as he will have a dignified cremation and I know that they will "look after"him beforehand.Its also comforting to be able to make some decisions about his cremation.

Thanks to all who have posted.Its been a real comfort to read your replies

Back