• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bit of a mucky bum

BeatrixPotter

Mama Doe
Checked Basil yesterday and found that he had a little bit of a mucky bum. Not too bad, no poops stuck just not very clean which isn't great in this weather.

What's the best way to clean it? I tried lukewarm water and cotton wool yesterday which got most of it off and tried gentle baby wipes today which did not. He is understandably not keen on the indignity of a bum wash and grunts at me afterwards and flicks his feet.

Help!

Can you carefully trim off the soiled fur ? Perhaps ask your OH to hold him as you do the trimming.

Are his fecal poos OK ? I mean his 'hard poos' ?

Are you sure it is poo causing the problem and not urine ? His willy does not look sore does it ? Sometimes a newly bonded Buck who has been a bit over amorous with his new partner can end up getting a very sore willy. This can then lead to some urinary incontinence. The Buck holds in his wee as it hurts to pass it. Eventually the bladder leaks as it is over full.

Thanks Jane. His normal poops are fantastic, lovely and golden.

I suppose it might be urine he does feel damp rather than poopy if you know what I mean. I didn't notice his willy looking sore but I will keep an eye on it.

Thanks Jane. His normal poops are fantastic, lovely and golden.

I suppose it might be urine he does feel damp rather than poopy if you know what I mean. I didn't notice his willy looking sore but I will keep an eye on it.

If it is wee I would keep a close eye on him as he urinates and make sure that he does not appear to be straining to wee. Also, try to get a look at his wee and see if it looks very 'creamy'. If he is actually leaking wee then that is generally indicative of a problem.

Hopefully it is just a transient issue due to being recently bonded and moving to a new home xx

I don't think he is straining to wee and it doesn't look creamy. Also he is only going in the litter tray so I don't think he is leaking. Mmmmm a mystery.

Just checked him again and he's completely dry underneath now! Hopefully you are right and its just a settling in issue. It's so hard to know what's going on with a rabbit you don't know very well.

I will keep a close eye on him still. Thanks for your help.

Back