• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Messy back end - picture sorry! U/D again!

maggyrose

Warren Scout
Arthur had a very messy bum which I thought was just poo down his back legs, tail and bum area, it was covered - it wasnt yellow it was just very wet and pooey

I washed him, then dried thoroughly and combed it all.

That was last weekend - and throughout the week its slowly got wet again - no poo, but wet and messy, I dont think this can be diarhoea as he has been like this for a while and surely having diarhoea for that long would make a small rabbit very ill - he is normal in himself, eats lots & lots of hay and has 10 ss pellets a day.

I have removed the bit of hay in there now, but what do you think the issue is please?

messyarthur_zps652b9002.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
If it were me, I would get him seen by the vet today. You can never take chances with rabbits as they go downhill so quickly.

He mgiht have a urinary tract infection so I would take him to your Vet.

I would guess urinary infection as well or something similar (bladder slurge or bladder stones)
He needs a rabbit savy vet cos if it is something to do with the urinary tract it will progress and if not treated can lead to kidney failure.

I think a Vet check today is essential in order to obtain a diagnosis and appropriate treatment.. Also he is at very high risk of Fly Strike, so you will need to be ultra vigilant re keeping him clean and dry. His rear end will need shaving and you will need to check on it numerous times a day.

He is indoors, there aren't any flies anywhere, I've been very attentive to that.

He moves well and is 1 yr old so not sure about the arthritis issue.

But maybe urinary infection is the cause, will speak to my vet now.

Thanks all x

He is indoors, there aren't any flies anywhere, I've been very attentive to that.

He moves well and is 1 yr old so not sure about the arthritis issue.

But maybe urinary infection is the cause, will speak to my vet now.

Thanks all x

Hope your vet says to take him in this afternoon.

Re flies and fly strike - you aren't always aware of flies and, before you know it, they've laid eggs on your bunny.

Just to update, Arthur has wee infection, he has baytril and metacam now, his sample is going off to lab for further tests incase its something worse... he has been clipped a bit

I just need to keep an eye on him now and wait and see

good to know it is nothing too sinister. update us when you get the results back, be ultra careful with flystrike. it only takes one fly and one second and i know that all to well, not an experience i would wish on my worst enemy. also if you are washing him, fly's are also attracted to damp not just smell, so make sure you dry him well. hope he recovers soon :thumb::love:

so its turning into a mystery now, he seemed to get better once the antibiotics had started working - then the lab results came back to say there is nothing in the sample - no bacteria, white blood cells, glucose etc - so why did the antibiotics seem to work??

the vet suggested that he may have infection in urethra - they took the sample by needle through tummy originally - so ive collected some urine and dropped off at vets for testing also...

but just tonight i have now noticed that he is wet on the one side of his peepee/butt, and behind both hocks, so ive wiped them with warm water and dried off and brushed....ive put plenty of woodshavings down now to keep him as dry as possible...

what to think?!

ok so all tests came back with nothing, but he was still wet

so they took bloods last week, and they came back low in white blood cells, urea and sodium

vet said the low white blood cells maybe caused by having had infection and his body is catching up now, the low urea & sodium could be caused by weeing lots OR cause excessive weeing

so now he is back in vets tomorrow for further blood tests - to see if his body is making more, if he isnt then thats bad... he is also having xrays of tummy, bladder and kidneys

I just thought immediately the worst, Leukaemia - as it maybe an auto immune disease, but vet said they just need to rule things out...

send the good vibes please for Arthur ;)

Sending Vibes for Arthur

Donts worrys arthur your mummeh will makes yous better. I's have had a wee wee infection and i gots better as the hoomin calls her the vet and shes gaves me some medicine. Yous will be better in no times arthur.

wove from

Pepsi and Skye

Arthur is probably currently under anaesthetic right now :(

Pearl is in vets with him, ive given them their bed so they have familiar smells.

Vet was lovely and said they will get him x-rayed quickly and properly, then analyse after - so that minimises the time he is under...

Fingers crossed for my boy x

Back