• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Acupuncture - has anyone had a bad experience?

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
Taz had his first acupuncture session on Tuesday. He was diagnosed with arthritis and significant pain in his right hip and arthritis in his front legs.

He was a bit of a wiggler but generally the session went well. He came home really bright, eating well and the had a sleep.

But when he woke up less than an hour after the appointment he suddenly had a seizure. It really was quite terrifying as we had know idea what was happening and it was a violent rolling around type one. We actually thought he was dying as that is what it looked like from experience :( Taz isnt what I would class as a seizure bunny. He had a fit the night he was rescued but that was put down to the most awful ear and skin mite infestation he had.

I'm not sure how a seizure can be related to the acupuncture but it seems a bit coincidental not to be??? Obviously I want him to have more sessions but now I am really nervous :(

Taz seemed fine in himself yesterday just a bit stiffer in his hind legs. But I guess that is to be expected after he had such a thorough examination.

I was wondering if anyone else had experienced anything similar? Thanks

Sent from my GT-S6810P using Tapatalk

That is a shame. My Inca was always ok. She was a wee bit stiff the next day after and I also didn't see the benefit for her until after a few sessions.

Hope the wee one gets on better next time x

Taz is the fourth rabbit we have taken to acupuncture all with the same vet. We have never had anything like this happen before

In himself he is bright and cheeky which is the main thing. But physically he is having one health issue after another. We are constantly at the vets and having to do so much for him. But at least that is just my worry and he seems completely carefree.

Thanks for asking x

How odd...where was it done, at the same vet you usually see just round the corner? The only thing I can think is if it's stress related somehow, either from the journey or the experience itself. He could potentially just be a very strong responder so he 'feels' it a lot and that makes him feel odd?

Oh hon big big hugs xxxx There is nothing more terrifying than watching your precious bun suffer a fit :cry: I know from going through it with Darcy. What I have learned is that stress and other illnesses can bring on a seizure even if they are being controlled with epilepsy drugs.

I tried Darcy with a session of acupuncture years ago when he was first diagnosed with spondylosis and arthritis. It was awful and he freaked out! As the vet started putting the needles in Darcy literally flew off the table and was only just caught by the vet in time before he would of hit the floor!:shock: I would never try it again especially as he is now blind from cataracts. It can be very helpful for some but for others its just not an option. It could be your bunny was hiding the fear/stress from it and then that brought on the seizure. Bunnies hide things far too well :(

Big hugs xxx

Thanks for the replies.

Yes same vet same surgery. He is used to going there and was completely unphased by the whole thing. He is the most laid back people bunny of all time!

He has a check up with our exotics vet tomorrow so will see what she says. If all seems well then we will try another session. But if anything happens after that we will abandon it.

How frightening for you and Taz! :( Could he be brewing another ear infection? I really have no experience with acupuncture although it has been suggested by a few folks for Mimzy, but I don't see him handling it very well as he's extremely touch sensitive these days and even a well meaning fuss can send him bounding off. :(

I hope it's just a one off and he can reap the benefits of future sessions. Bless him. :love:
((((((((((Huge hugs)))))))))) for you. xxxxxxxx

Thank you. His ears are an going issue anyway. They are cleaned daily and he is on depocillin injections for his lumps and any other underlying infections x

Back