• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fur pulling / nesting?

bunny babe

Wise Old Thumper
I noticed at the weekend that Cassie's tummy fur was "thinner" than usual and fur around her upper tail was thin too. On inspection I found a little bit of "dandruff" on her lower back. I popped her to the vets to be on the safe side in case it was mites but could not really see anything in the thinning areas.

My vet does not think it is mites and through that she may be "nesting". Now we monitor our buns very closely and have a webcam to watch them too and I had not noticed any excessive fur pulling and no sign of her trying to make a nest with hay etc.

She is being treated for "mites" just in case.

We did get Rambo in February which I thought may have triggered something off but surely it would have happened before now. Cassie is about 5.5 and never done this before. Her tummy is normally VERY fluffy.

She is spayed. Why would she start doing this and how long is it likely to last for.

A lot of rabbits are moulting at the moment which is stressful for them. Maybe this has caused the mites (if it is that) to take a hold and hopefully the treatment will clear it up.

Back