• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

I'm so upset, my poor bunny: update PICTURE OF STONE

Kim_perkins

Mama Doe
I posted on here a little while ago about my bunny having cystitis.

I was told this was what is Was. I've just rushed her to the vets as she was screaming in pain it's the most distressing thing in the world.

She's been rushed to surgery for an operation for a stone bigger then a marble. I'm so upset they didn't investigate this last week. She must have been suffering so needlessly :(

I'm devastated.

Last edited:
I posted on here a little while ago about my bunny having cystitis.

I was told this was what is Was. I've just rushed her to the vets as she was screaming in pain it's the most distressing thing in the world.

She's been rushed to surgery for an operation for a stone bigger then a marble. I'm so upset they didn't investigate this last week. She must have been suffering so needlessly :(

I'm devastated.

Fingers crossed. Your poor bunny. You weren't to know - the vet should have investigated. When this is over, I would consider changing to a bunny-savvy vet.

Oh god, how awful :cry: I hope she'll be alright! Sending mega vibes xxx where abouts are you and which vets do you use?

Oh god, how awful :cry: I hope she'll be alright! Sending mega vibes xxx where abouts are you and which vets do you use?

I am based in Essex. I use millenium vets, he's usually very good as he's worked wonders with my bunny's teeth as she's a regular dental Bun.

It was just awful hearing her screaming like she was. She might not even make it through :( xx

That sounds really traumatic, for her and for you. I hope she recovers.

Best wishes to you both.

Sending all the best healing vibes for your bunny. (((((((((((Vibes)))))))))))
We do all we can to help them and we rely on our vets to know their craft. Things get missed sometimes. You weren't to know. I hope she'll come through the surgery well and be back home with you soon again. xxxx

:'( I really hope so. That bunny is like my child! Heartbreaking to hear her crying in pain the way she was.

Vets phoned me up just as distressed once I left her there and said she had to go to theatre immediately.

Bigger than a marble?? Can't imagine the pain she has been in, I feel so guilty. My other half has had to put up with me crying all night bless him, animals!! This is why I should stay pet free lol they break your heart when they get sick.

Thank you everyone I will let you know what the outcome is xxx

Bless her, I really hope she pulls through, that must have been so distressing :( Depending on how you feel about your current vet once this all settles down, I use the new Vets4pets in Braintree, I've been seeing Sam the main vet there for years so I followed her to this practice when she opened it recently. She's excellent and of course it's open 7 days a week which is a bonus!

Please let us know how your little one gets on, I'm sure she'll feel so much better straight away once that stone is out. Xxx

Bless her, I really hope she pulls through, that must have been so distressing :( Depending on how you feel about your current vet once this all settles down, I use the new Vets4pets in Braintree, I've been seeing Sam the main vet there for years so I followed her to this practice when she opened it recently. She's excellent and of course it's open 7 days a week which is a bonus!

Please let us know how your little one gets on, I'm sure she'll feel so much better straight away once that stone is out. Xxx

That's really handy to know thank you, I have used a couple of vets in maldon and they were terrible, millenium vets have been good, but I guess things get missed :(

Her dentals have been much more thorough and cheaper - but I'd rather pay the price to know she is getting proper care xx

Well I have an update.

She has come round from the surgery they removed the stone about a marble size and it was stuck in her tube where she urine passes so she was bleeding where she was straining.

Her bladder had been badly stretched as it was full of urine... she is with a vet now on an hourly watch. She's still passing blood but it's to be expected at this stage

They need to now see whether the bladder has over stretched which I fear it has.

I may not get her home for 2 days if at all.

She's a very sick bunny at the moment. I just hope she pulls through :( xxx

After a very sleepless night the vets phoned me first thing as promised.

She's very alert and hopping around her cage which they said is amazing to see as she us so lively - she's always been good after operations but I don't want jinx that ..

She's still not eating, but it was a major operation so syringe feeds are what she is having for the moment, they have been giving her regular pain relief and she has urinated which apparently was much more "normal" and not as much blood which means the bladder is hopefully slowly repairing and becoming less inflamed.

She's not passed any droppings but that's not unusual after an op and she will be given the emperid (sp) I'm sure that's what they have - to keep her gut moving.

If she stays as alert as she is and passes urine and droppings okay I can have her home later this evening as I'm on maternity leave so can watch her closely and she lives indoors with me.

Hopefully she continues to improve xxx

Sounds like she is doing really well :thumb: sending more vibes, hope she can come home later :thumb:

Back