• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Front teeth removal

Fellie

Warren Veteran
A friend of mine has a french lop - and she has just had to have her front teeth removed. I don't know why.

But does anyone have any advise I can give her regarding feeding?

My bunny had his removed last week. I gave him grated carrot and small pieces of kale. I soaked his pellets but he wasn't interested. He was eating normal pellets after 2 days. Give plenty of hay too.

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

My Herbie has no front incisors. There are a lot of bunnies on here the same. Usually its due to them growing in misaligned.

Bunnies cope fine without them generally. The only thing I need to do differently is to cut up the veg into strips or bite sized chunks. Herbie copes fine with Muesli, Pellets, Hay without any changes.

One thing to note is that they do sometimes grow back in if the vet has not managed to kill all of the root, so let your friend know to keep a check on bunnies mouth.

Herbie got his removed at the rescue, they grew back in when I got him, I got them removed again and now two wee peg teeth grow back in. I am not putting him through the op again, so I get these two wee teeth burred every few months. He copes well with the burring and it is over in a jiffy!

My Herbie has no front incisors. There are a lot of bunnies on here the same. Usually its due to them growing in misaligned.

Bunnies cope fine without them generally. The only thing I need to do differently is to cut up the veg into strips or bite sized chunks. Herbie copes fine with Muesli, Pellets, Hay without any changes.

One thing to note is that they do sometimes grow back in if the vet has not managed to kill all of the root, so let your friend know to keep a check on bunnies mouth.

Herbie got his removed at the rescue, they grew back in when I got him, I got them removed again and now two wee peg teeth grow back in. I am not putting him through the op again, so I get these two wee teeth burred every few months. He copes well with the burring and it is over in a jiffy!

This.

I think it depends on age though. The younger ones seem to cope really well and adapt to having no front teeth but the older ones (over a few years old) sometimes seem to not understand how to adapt their eating. Anything in small chunks or long strips should be fine. :)

And often they, or the peg teeth do grow back and need to be removed again. pain in the bum!

This!

My bunny had her incisors removed due to bone infection. She copes well, after some time of force feeding and enough painkillers she was eating normal. Her poor gums were so swallen :( I remember she had 1st the upper onces, and in a month-the lower ones to avoid too much stress. But yes, no huge pellets/vegetable chunks afterwards, I always make sure everything is bite-sized. But no need to cut the hay/herbs, Chrissy eats them without problems.

Apparently bun is eating like a wee piggy at the moment so all is good there :thumb: Seems to have been causing 'tears' according to my friend so poor girl was obviously in pain - very pleased they sorted her out. She is quite young - about 1.5 years so hopefully she will be fine from now on.

Thanks for all your advise = will be passing it on:thumb:

(I have told her about RU too - so I hope she joins us soon:thumb:)

Back