• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Betsy has cancer!

halfpenny

Wise Old Thumper
Betsy has been losing weight, drinking more, weakness on her hind legs and bulging eyes. I did expect to find out she had a thymoma but the x- rays were clear. Her calcium levels are high, she's slightly anaemic and her immunoglobulins are high.
The vet doesn't think it's a chronic infection as she is too bright within herself and she white blood cells aren't high. He thinks it's likely to be some form of lymphoid cancer, possibly a bone marrow problem, but we can't be sure. We lost Nookie, the guinea pig, to something similar a few years ago and a pm confirmed it was a lymphoma.
We are treating her with steroids initially but we know she is on limited time.
Betsy is nearly 9 and has a very close bond with Runt, who is 8.5.

I am already having to think about how Harris ( 21 year old Shetland stallion) will cope without Inky (our 34 year old Shetland stallion) and I know have to worry about how Runt will cope without her .

Oh my, Skye has been losing weight and drinking more - I suspected kidney disease. I'm now worried it might be cancer :cry:

I hope Betsy can remain happy and stable

Back