• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

French lop

lynsey90

New Kit
Hi just looking for some advice,we will be getting a French lop in around 2 months, was born yesterday. Have been wanting one for over a year now but waited until I felt my little boy would be ready to understand to be gentle. We currently have 2 dogs, and I know they would be great with another animal, especially my king charles. What I want to know is how do you house you're lop? I'm thinking of having a hutch outside for them at night and a run, and bringing him in the house during the day? My garden is secure so nothing will get at it. Or would you recommend I keep him in the house at night?

I would recommend you choose either the garden or house as in the winter the temperature change from going in and out can cause a lot of health problems. If you chose outside I would get a shed as a rabbit house with a run or aviary as even if you think your garden is secure, foxes can get in. They can jump 6ft walls. Inside I would give the rabbit a room or keep them in a "rabbit proofed" room where they can't get to cables etc but have a safe spot that is the rabbit's own space that the dogs and your kid are not allowed in. For a litter tray I would use an under bed storage box with lots of hay.

I agree with Jenova that it would be best to choose outside or inside and stick with it, with outside play time in the milder months. There are stickies at the top of the housing section with great ideas for inside and outside housing. Bear in mind a french lop will need larger housing than the usual minimum (44sqft) as they're such chunky buns.
I also second the comment that rabbits need a private space where they can get away from kids/dogs/people if they want to.

Whatever you decide, I would definitely look at getting two rabbits as they're incredibly social animals and really benefit from company of their own kind. Rescue rabbits come already neutered and vaccinated so it's worth considering rescuing if you do decide to take on a friend for your bun.

Back