• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding 2 boys

Yesterday we thought we'd try having the 2 boys who live separately in the garden at the same time.

Golspie and Tiger once noticed each other started circling each other and goldie humped tiger both front and back. Tiger submitted quickly and even when goldie moved away tiger would go after goldie and goldie would hump then they would lay down together. This repeated a few times. After quite a while they then started circling each other and tiger was trying to hump goldie. At this point we decided to put them back in their hutch.

A). Was this the right thing to do
B). Was planning on letting them out together tonight depending on rain. Do I let them hump?

Am in no rush to move them in together as will need to buy new hutch and no funds at moment but it was nice to see them lay down together and would like them to be together eventually.

Are they both neutered? If they aren't, I wouldn't attempt bonding until they are. I would bond in a small neutral area, ie where neither bun has been before. Don't allow them to hump heads, they can get bitten and serious damage can be caused. If they are circling and fighting then they need to be separated. I wouldn't start bonding until you have somewhere suitable to house them together, ideally once bonding has started, if things are going well it's a shame to split them as you have to start all over again next time.

There's an excellent article on bonding here https://www.facebook.com/notes/the-rabbit-crossing/my-guide-to-how-i-bond-rabbits/463430373700695

Thank you. They were neutered about 4 years ago so no worries there.

I read that link and the reason for small space was to make them interact. Since mine were seeking each other out do I still need a pen. Would have to buy one and don't want to if I don't really need to.

When bonding do you not do it a little at a time and increase time spent with each other each day? Putting them back into their hutch at end?

I just notice the pictures at the bottom of your post. 2 of your rabbits look like harlequin lion heads? My 2 are too 😄

Back