• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Holiday dramas!!! Anyone know of short notice house rabbit boarder in Frome area?

iggyperdyandme

Alpha Buck
I'm due to go away this week and a friend will be rabbit sitting. This morning Betty has woken up with a puffy eye and bits of detritus in her eye. We have some drops (this is a reoccurring issue for her and vets are fully aware).

My drama is I'm now worried about leaving her and my friend putting her drops in. My friend is good at feeding them etc and will call to let me know thy have eaten but Betty can be a pain to get drops into. I am debating just cancelling the holiday. We aren't going for long. It's actually only 2 nights away going early one morning, having one day there and one most of day then home in the eve.

It's the first holiday I've had in years but Betty can't be replaced. If we were going for longer I would have organised boarding earlier but is only a mini break, and Walter copes badly with change so I thought they would be ok. She hasn't had a proper infection since about feb either.

What do you think I should do?

update: Total stab in the dark but if anyone knows of anywhere near to frome who would be willing to help and/or does boarding, i would be most grateful!

Last edited:
What a nightmare :cry: I wonder if there are any RU members nearby who might be able to pop round for the drops being put in? I'd try that option first :thumb: maybe amend the title to include your location and help needed with drops? :thumb:

thank you for replying. We have been bathing her eye and she has had her drops and i thought she was looking better but about an hour later, her eye lid is very pink again :( I feel really helpless and dont know what else to do. I added some bio lapis into their water to see if that is helpful.

I dont know if boarding would be better but I dont know anywhere local which does boarding. Its also mega short notice to start looking for house rabbit boarding so my holiday is looking less and less likely. The pet shop does round the corner but they shut the rabbits in a cage which isnt any good to us.

I am going to call the RWAF as a long shot in the morning and the vet to try see what they suggest and to get more drops :(

We live in Frome which isnt really very full of rabbit boarders or Ru members as far as i know. :( Any suggestions welcome?

thank you for replying. We have been bathing her eye and she has had her drops and i thought she was looking better but about an hour later, her eye lid is very pink again :( I feel really helpless and dont know what else to do. I added some bio lapis into their water to see if that is helpful.

I dont know if boarding would be better but I dont know anywhere local which does boarding. Its also mega short notice to start looking for house rabbit boarding so my holiday is looking less and less likely. The pet shop does round the corner but they shut the rabbits in a cage which isnt any good to us.

I am going to call the RWAF as a long shot in the morning and the vet to try see what they suggest and to get more drops :(

We live in Frome which isnt really very full of rabbit boarders or Ru members as far as i know. :( Any suggestions welcome?

Where are you going? Are you driving? Just wondering if you can widen your search area and find a boarder that is on your way? http://www.findpetboarding.com

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Thank you for the link, I saw it before but most are Bristol way and we going in the other direction. Its finding ones who will do her meds and keep her indoors thats the issue really :( Whether we go or not, I just want the infection to start to heal before we go so i wont be so worried about her. If shes like this, even if we did find somewhere to help, I wouldnt want to leave her or move her being poorly. :(

Would your vets board her just for a couple of nights. Not ideal but you would know she is being looked after and they would probably let her have a bit of run round inside.

Thank you for the link, I saw it before but most are Bristol way and we going in the other direction. Its finding ones who will do her meds and keep her indoors thats the issue really :( Whether we go or not, I just want the infection to start to heal before we go so i wont be so worried about her. If shes like this, even if we did find somewhere to help, I wouldnt want to leave her or move her being poorly. :(

Where are you headed?
I'd offer to help but I'm a bit far :/

Would your vets board her just for a couple of nights. Not ideal but you would know she is being looked after and they would probably let her have a bit of run round inside.

I am going to give them a call in the morning to update them anyway so i can always ask! :)

It just feels impossible. I cant find anywhere that is even close by that do house rabbit accommodation that isnt in a cage :( Im not that weird that we have a cage only as a toilet surely! I dont even think we still have the door to it and Im not sure its remotely suitable for 2 rabbits for 3 days!

It just feels impossible. I cant find anywhere that is even close by that do house rabbit accommodation that isnt in a cage :( Im not that weird that we have a cage only as a toilet surely! I dont even think we still have the door to it and Im not sure its remotely suitable for 2 rabbits for 3 days!

I know the feeling :/
mine are so used to free range that I feel bad if their boarding has them shut in for the whole time. If you find the right person though, they will go in for cuddles and let them have some time out of the hutch...I wouldn't allow mine to be shut in anything other than a 6ft hutch which some places do have indoors

I know the feeling :/
mine are so used to free range that I feel bad if their boarding has them shut in for the whole time. If you find the right person though, they will go in for cuddles and let them have some time out of the hutch...I wouldn't allow mine to be shut in anything other than a 6ft hutch which some places do have indoors

I just would want ten to have a lovely few days too if I'm on holiday! Bloomin frome and bloomin infection!!

I just would want ten to have a lovely few days too if I'm on holiday! Bloomin frome and bloomin infection!!

Bring them to Taunton :) :lol:
I know what you mean, but you might have to just bite the bullet and think its only for a couple of days, itll be hard but at least theyll get the care they need especially with the need of meds

Sent from my SM-T210 using Tapatalk

A bit less pressure but Betty's manky eye is lookin loads better today. It looks considerably less swolen and only a bit pink around he edges. There were no floating bits of debris either.

Still sticking to call vets and rwaf today but feeling a bit more hopeful she won't be as ill. :D

A bit less pressure but Betty's manky eye is lookin loads better today. It looks considerably less swolen and only a bit pink around he edges. There were no floating bits of debris either.

Still sticking to call vets and rwaf today but feeling a bit more hopeful she won't be as ill. :D

So glad her eye is doing better! Hopefully she'll keep improving so you can enjoy your time away without too much worry!

Back