• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Giant with Blue Eye my Dillon

jackiestone

Warren Veteran
today I noticed Dillons eye was going blue and showed tinges of blue in the other eye,he is 9 months old,I spoke to the lady that I got him from and his brother has both eyes blue and was diagnosed with glaucoma,and had a pressure test and was told he was fine,I obviously will see a vet monday but what is the usual treatment for this and is he in pain,is the eye often removed? Thank you in advance

Here is the pic

155992908.jpg

Could be EC induced lens rupture/ cataract, especially as another sibling has the same problem. EC can be transmitted from Doe to kits at birth and lens rupture is a frequent consequence

Thank you Jane,if he has the correct treatment will he live a normal happy life? Thank you in advance,vets tomorrow x

Thank you Jane,if he has the correct treatment will he live a normal happy life? Thank you in advance,vets tomorrow x

A lens rupture and the development of a cataract cannot be reversed and in some cases it can eventually mean the eye has to be removed.This is because glaucoma can develop and whilst specific treatment can control it initially the Glaucoma may eventually fail to respond to treatment. So having the eye removed is then usually the best option.There will also be total loss of vision from the effected eye so the Rabbit wont be able to see out of it any way and if treatment resistant Glaucoma develops it would be painful. Hence it being far better to have the eye removed. But that is something a long way down the line and it does not happen in all cases. Another condition that can occur is Uveitis, this can be controlled with medication.

I would certainly discuss the possibility of EC with the Vet. If you have not given a 28 day course of Panacur then I would do so. It wont reverse any damage already done by EC but it can reduce the number of EC spores circulating within the bloodstream. Any in contact Rabbits will need treatment too.

Thank you Jane that gives me hope and I will be able to sleep tonight now,he is a house rabbit,I only have him and a 7 year old dutch who has lost her husbun and was going to try and bond them but I wont now,thank you ;-)

Back