• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

running round in circles?!

furbabies

Warren Scout
Was just wondering what it means (if anything) when thumper runs round my ankles in circles, he does this for a while and then does a figure of 8 pattern. I bend down to pet him and he comes forward and lays on his belly with his chin on the floor and let's me scratch his head, if i stop he pokes my hand with his nose, so i usually pet him again, when i stand up he runs another circle around me then hops off and has a wash. It's the circling thing that I'm not sure about....is it normal rabbit behaviour?

I assume from your description that he isn't neutered? :wave: the circling sounds like hormonal behaviour, i think he is telling you he's the boss :lol:

No, he's not neutered yet! He's about 11 months old, I'm a bit nervous about getting him neutered as i had a guinea pig neutered and he died, I'd be devastated if anything happened to him.

I would agree with hormonal. :) they do it to day I love you when they neutered. Mine dance around my feet at feeding time :lol:

Neutering sounds scary and while there is a risk with any surgery, they usually quite straight forward and my boy recovered loads faster than both girls. There are loads of good threads about finding a good rabbit vet which i found a massive help :)

Oh I'm sorry to hear about your little piggie :( Rabbit anaesthesia is far less risky and far more common than guinea pig anaesthesia, the boy op is really quick and over in literally minutes. In the hands of a competent bunny vet it shouldn't be any problem at all.

His behaviour definitely suggests he needs neutering - while it might seem very cute, it is actually a sign of sexual frustration!

Good luck x

Back