• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Open wound advice

RedFraggle

Warren Veteran
Hi
My cousins rabbit Gus was found with a massive piece of skin missing (size of my cousins hand) this morning which I assume is due to a fox having lifted the lid of her hutch (it's a top opener) in the night and having a go (there is a know fox with cubs nearby). I suspect Gus kicked, the fox pulled back and the lid probably slammed on it's paws scaring it off.

The vet has checked the wound and it's ok and they're bathing twice a day and giving antbiotics. My main concern now is flies as this is an outdoor bun.

Any tips beyond net curtaining the run? There isn't anywhere in the house for her to go so she is outside in her hutch overnight and in a run all day but will be checked several times during the day.

Thanks

Hi
My cousins rabbit Gus was found with a massive piece of skin missing (size of my cousins hand) this morning which I assume is due to a fox having lifted the lid of her hutch (it's a top opener) in the night and having a go (there is a know fox with cubs nearby). I suspect Gus kicked, the fox pulled back and the lid probably slammed on it's paws scaring it off.

The vet has checked the wound and it's ok and they're bathing twice a day and giving antbiotics. My main concern now is flies as this is an outdoor bun.

Any tips beyond net curtaining the run? There isn't anywhere in the house for her to go so she is outside in her hutch overnight and in a run all day but will be checked several times during the day.

Thanks

I would probably tell your cousin not to let the bun out in the run at night until it's secured.

As for net curtains, could they maybe peg/staple some to the hutch front? Also, I think lavender is good at repelling flies. She could feed some to the bun or sprinkle it about. Obviously you can't rally use rearguard near open wounds, but maybe there is another repellent that can be used on the hutch/net?

A baby's pram net can be useful for the front of a hutch.

Oil of citronella - from the chemist - can be dotted around to repel flies, out of reach of the rabbits of course.

i would keep the bun indoors - definitely -

we had a wounded bun recently who then went on to get fly strike - despite all the protection we could use - he was even indoors - an outddors bun would definitely get fly strike.

i would keep the bun indoors - definitely -

we had a wounded bun recently who then went on to get fly strike - despite all the protection we could use - he was even indoors - an outddors bun would definitely get fly strike.

Yeah, I know. I have said if it were mine they would be in and they are going to need to check every few hours at least.

They can't bring her in so is there anything they can do except net curtain the run? (I meant to actually tack it to the run so it's tight on).

The run is separate, she's shut in the hutch at night and in the run during the day. It was in the hutch the presumed fox got to her. I've suggested they fit a padlock already as it must've loosened the catch.

Will suggest the citronella.

Yeah, I know. I have said if it were mine they would be in and they are going to need to check every few hours at least.

They can't bring her in so is there anything they can do except net curtain the run? (I meant to actually tack it to the run so it's tight on).

The run is separate, she's shut in the hutch at night and in the run during the day. It was in the hutch the presumed fox got to her. I've suggested they fit a padlock already as it must've loosened the catch.

Will suggest the citronella.

Can they place the hutch IN the run?

Poor bun. :( If they haven't secured it tonight, the fox will be back. I don't think there's much else you can do tbh apart from try to convince them to get some indoor housing for her until she heals..if she lasts the night. :(

Can they place the hutch IN the run?

Poor bun. :( If they haven't secured it tonight, the fox will be back. I don't think there's much else you can do tbh apart from try to convince them to get some indoor housing for her until she heals..if she lasts the night. :(

Yep, that's my worry. They're putting something heavy on top of the hutch and making sure it is done up properly.

Could you keep her at yours (indoors) until she is healed? When I was a child, my pony had an open wound and got flystrike... it was horrific, she ended up with a big gaping hole in her chest that we needed to flush several times a day with salt water, as the flies just kept coming back and laying more eggs, they'd hatch within hours.

If she does get flystrike and still cannot be brought indoors, I would suggest they put her to sleep, as even if she is saved she will just get it again, and it really is not fair.

If she is to remain outside for now, I think it would be best to allow her no access to her run. Make sure they net the hutch securely, put citronella oil over the outside of the hutch and clean her out twice a day, as well as checking her constantly.

Please keep us updated, I hope she is okay during the night.

I would be putting manuka honey on the wound and one of the natural fly repellent creams (horsey, I use naf) around the wound to keep flies off. Second the question about keeping them at yours while they're injured.

My family all live 5 hours from me. Otherwise I'd be round with a dog crate for them and would of course be doing more.
The hutch is tiny.

They have done good things for this rabbit. It was inherited from another cousin aged 5 (the rabbit not the cousin), thought to be an unvaccinated unneutered male that ate muesli and lived predominantly in the hutch. It is now a spayed female, vaccinated and spends 14 hours a day in a large run and eats 80% hay.

Could the rabbit not stay in the bathroom until it's healed?
Only place I can think of in a non rabbit proof house.

I suggested the bathroom already as that was my first thought. I also suggested emptying the conservatory and moving the run into there.

My family all live 5 hours from me. Otherwise I'd be round with a dog crate for them and would of course be doing more.
The hutch is tiny.

They have done good things for this rabbit. It was inherited from another cousin aged 5 (the rabbit not the cousin), thought to be an unvaccinated unneutered male that ate muesli and lived predominantly in the hutch. It is now a spayed female, vaccinated and spends 14 hours a day in a large run and eats 80% hay.

That is good at least. I do hope they decide to buy a more sturdy, secure (and larger!) hutch in the future if the bun survives.

Sending lots of vibes her way. x

I've seen worse. It's probably 3.5 to 4 foot but is high off the ground and has 2.5 foot head height surprisingly. Gus is in it overnight and is much better cared for than previously. It is by no means ideal but if advice isn't taken there's not much to be done. Equally I've not managed to convince another friend her female bun should be neutered.
Gus was fine overnight, wound is looking clean and nice.

I've seen worse. It's probably 3.5 to 4 foot but is high off the ground and has 2.5 foot head height surprisingly. Gus is in it overnight and is much better cared for than previously. It is by no means ideal but if advice isn't taken there's not much to be done. Equally I've not managed to convince another friend her female bun should be neutered.
Gus was fine overnight, wound is looking clean and nice.

Yes, you can only advise. :( It is a shame, she could have a brilliant life if they just improved a few things. It is much better than where she came from and well done to them for spaying her, vaccinating her and seeking medical attention.

Sending fast healing vibes. This weather is a breeding ground for flies. :(

She's being PTS this morning. Run free Gus.

Update: Vet got all maggots, they were round her vulva. Hutch now in dining room. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:
She's being PTS this morning. Run free Gus.

Update: Vet got all maggots, they were round her vulva. Hutch now in dining room. Fingers crossed.

Sending tons and tons of vibes. It's a shame it took her getting flystrike for them to move her indoors. :( Really hoping she pulls through. x

Back