• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Need advice on head tilting after shock

3doe rabbits

Young Bun
Midnight was attacked by something today while in her run I didn't see what it was as my dog chased it out the garden . Unfortunately in her panic she ran straight into the side of her run getting her head stuck I managed to get her out and have been to the vets. She seems ok apart from losing the fur round her neck where she got stuck and being in a bit if shock. but her head is tilting to the side since she did it the vet has given her pain meds and said if it's no better to go back tomorrow but I'm worried as she can't seem to chew her pellets even though she wants to. Has anyone else had anything like this happen x

Midnight was attacked by something today while in her run I didn't see what it was as my dog chased it out the garden . Unfortunately in her panic she ran straight into the side of her run getting her head stuck I managed to get her out and have been to the vets. She seems ok apart from losing the fur round her neck where she got stuck and being in a bit if shock. but her head is tilting to the side since she did it the vet has given her pain meds and said if it's no better to go back tomorrow but I'm worried as she can't seem to chew her pellets even though she wants to. Has anyone else had anything like this happen x

I think you need to take her to a different vets. Sounds like she could have seriously injured herself.

The vet I see is really rabbit savvy and did a fully check of her breathing teeth and neck but she did say that due to her getting stuck she could be sore and to keep an eye in her . She's not shaking anymore and only seems to tilt her head when trying to eat she has eaten some grass,clover and a bit if apple but still not her pellets which she normally loves she's just sort if rolling them round in her mouth. My vets not on call tonight but she's in tomorrow so going to take her back in then if she's still doing it. Just feel useless as I don't know what to do for her x

The vet I see is really rabbit savvy and did a fully check of her breathing teeth and neck but she did say that due to her getting stuck she could be sore and to keep an eye in her . She's not shaking anymore and only seems to tilt her head when trying to eat she has eaten some grass,clover and a bit if apple but still not her pellets which she normally loves she's just sort if rolling them round in her mouth. My vets not on call tonight but she's in tomorrow so going to take her back in then if she's still doing it. Just feel useless as I don't know what to do for her x

Personally, I'd contact the emergency vets for some advice. She may need some gut stimulants to keep her going, but mainly I'd want the tilt checking out. It could be that she is sore, but then I'd expect the pain relief to have covered most of that.

Eating is a good sign. Have you brought her inside? Did the animal get into her enclosure or just into the garden?

it didn't have time to get in the run as as soon as I heard a bang rogue my dog went running out the back door and nearly through the fence after it my neighbour said he saw a big tomcat that hangs around running off . she dosen't have any bites or wounds on her was just a bit of fur on the outside of the run and where she got stuck. I've brought her into the out house where it's quiet not that she seems to like it much .i did ring the on call vet and he said to keep a close eye on her and that the pain killers take a little while to start to work but I'm going to take her in tomorrow to see my normal vet anyway as I'm not keen on the one that's on call . And I'm going to put some chicken wire around the runs to make the holes smaller so if dosen't happen again .

She may well have knocked a tooth. I had something kind of similar happen to one of mine a few years ago when his sister crashed into him while doing a super fast run and binky :roll: Luckily I was there at the time and heard a thud on impact. We took him to the Vets but she couldn't initially find anything obviously wrong, it was only after a day of seeing him eat his pellets oddly we took him back, where further investigations revealed a very slight & fine fracture.

Hope your bunny recovers from her nasty shock soon :( x

How is your bunny today?

There could be damage/swelling to her throat if her head was stuck. Hope you manage to get her seen by another vet today.

Thank you all for your help x She seems brighter but still have some trouble eating pellets and holding her head funny especially when eating . I've got in with my vet at 11:45 so fingers crossed x

I would ask for stronger pain meds as clearly she is still in pain. Id also get some gut stimulants so she doesn't go into stasis, and some liquid recovery food to help her eat.

If there is any suspicion at all that she has broken something or damaged a tooth, I would want a full dental exam and an X-ray under anaesthetic.

I hope they can find the cause for you. Hope you're okay, this must be very stressful for you.

There was plenty of poop in her litter tray this morning and they looked normal and she's weeing ok . She'll let me fuss her as normal and scratch her head but just seems to be struggling to eat normally for her . Becky my usual vet is really good so guess just have to wait and see what she says. Think I'm more stressed than midnight is lol x

Just got back from the vets her teeth, tummy and breathing are all ok but the vet said her jaws quite tender which it wasn't yesterday but it could just be bruised and she's given her some more pain killers and given me some for the morning but she wants her back in Monday morning and if it's still tender then she do X-rays to check there's no fracture . She's slso said to grater any hard veg for now and got to keep her quiet x

I would soak her pellets and offer her liquid recovery food in a bowl.

It's good that her gut sounded fine when the gut listened to it.

What painkillers was she given?

Thank you she seem alright apart from her jaw. The vet has given her an injection of metacam and I've got some to give orally in the morning. She's hoping it's just bruised but has booked her in for an X-ray Monday morning just incase x

Update on midnight

Unfortunately I had to have midnight put to sleep this morning she was in a lot of pain after her accident the other day and she'd stopped eating , drinking altogether and after talking to my vet we decided it wouldn't be fair to put her through the stress of X-rays and syringe feeds as she dosen't like being handled :cry:

Unfortunately I had to have midnight put to sleep this morning she was in a lot of pain after her accident the other day and she'd stopped eating , drinking altogether and after talking to my vet we decided it wouldn't be fair to put her through the stress of X-rays and syringe feeds as she dosen't like being handled :cry:

I am very sorry :cry:

RIP Midnight xx

Back